Top 10 MLS Salaries

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by capitalist, Jul 8, 2005.

1. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Top 10 MLS Salaries

Player Team Base Salary Overall
    Landon Donovan Los Angeles 900,000 900,000
    Eddie Johnson FC Dallas 875,000 875,000
    Freddy Adu D.C. 300,000 550,000
    Ramon Ramirez Chivas USA 425,000 500,000
    Josh Wolff Kansas City 350,000 420,357
    Clint Mathis Salt Lake City 270,000 410,000
    Eddie Pope Salt Lake City 314,782 378,948
    Tony Sanneh Chicago 285,000 365,000
    Chris Armas Chicago 250,000 325,000
    Jovan Kirovski Los Angeles 175,000 290,000
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/dcunited/longterm/2005/mls_salary.html

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note: In the salary numbers above, overall salaries include signing, marketing and guaranteed bonuses. They don't include performance bonuses, which are added at the end of the season.

3. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    these numbers are not bad at all - they are not eggregious like other american professional sports. these are all rich men - are they rich enough to never have to work again after their career is over? no. But are they wealthy enough to live a very good life - yes. These numbers need to be even more publicized to show young kids that you can become rich playing football in the usa. also, good for the mls getting all these talented people playing here for such little money. We all know that every one of those top 10 could be making at least double in other leagues around the world - congrats mls and keep up the good work

4. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I think the average salary would have to be 240k before you get the kind of response you are hoping for. Just my opinion.

5. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    At least we finally have incontrovertible proof to back up the long-held claim that the Metrostars are league darlings who don't have to follow the salary cap...Oh, wait.

6. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    so the top 10 players salaries + signing, marketing and guaranteed bonuses together make 1/4th the salary that Steven Gerrard makes by himself in just salary alone.

and in other news, Justin Detter had to "retire" at the age of 22 because he couldnt survive off of $200 a week.

in Kansas City.

7. feyenoord!!

feyenoord!! Member

Jun 1, 2004
    USA
    I just can't see EJ earning that kind of money, the guy really hasn't done enough to earn it. Scoring a few times against a few minnows of soccer just doesn't cut it.

8. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The VAST majority of MLS players outside of this list are making peanuts...and it's crap. Especially players like Noonan, Twellman, Dempsey, and Guevara. If the max salary for MLS players is around 7-10 million a year and the MINIMUM is around 500-600k a year, that will be satisfactory.

9. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He earned it the minute MLS was offered a $5M transfer.

10. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Ramon Ramirez's salary is ridiculous. He makes much more than Djorkaef and is half the player.

11. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For comparison with the salary of a top player in another G8 nation.
    With today's exchange rate, and the supposed target of GPB 120,000/wk salary for Steven Gerrard, this is almost exactly a month's work.
    http://www.iht.com/converter/calc.html

12. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention Mathis & Sanneh.

Of course, one reason Ramirez & Mathis' salaries are relatively high is that MLS (incorrectly) thought they'd be big draws for their teams.

But it's harder to see why Sanneh is earning that much. Sanneh's certainly not a "name" player who might bring out crowds on his own, and at 33, signed with MLS near the tail end of his career.

13. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Mathis deserved the salary based on his reputation, he's just sucking this year. Sanneh probably did too, although as a defender they probably could've gotten a more attractive player for that price.

14. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention he sucked much of his previous few seasons with the Metros.

Considering Clint left MLS on poor terms and quickly wore out his welcome in Germany, MLS should have offered to re-sign him at a cut in pay and let him earn most of his compensation via performance bonuses.

And if that was unacceptable to Clint, MLS could have told him "Auf Wiedersehen. Enjoy Hannover."

15. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    RSL was looking for marketable American players, and he was one of the very few available. They seem to be doing OK at the gate, so it wasn't a complete waste.

16. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I'd like to see those numbers one day, but I think I'll be satisfied sooner - as soon as there is a league minimum players can live decently off of (75-100k). We shouldn't have guys like Detter quitting to find other jobs b/c they are paid so poorly. With a minimum of say 100k and an average salary around 300k, I think I would be very happy.

17. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint Mathis Salt Lake City 270,000 410,000
    Eddie Pope Salt Lake City 314,782 378,948
    Tony Sanneh Chicago 285,000 365,000
    Chris Armas Chicago 250,000 325,000
    Jovan Kirovski Los Angeles 175,000 290,000

If MLS could somehow make this bottom five on the list instead: Dempsey, Gaven, Noonan, Ching, Ronnie O'Brien.... I think it'd be far more fair.... for the players and MLS, which will have a much better chances to sell these off in the future, instead of these players noted above...
    Or, theoretically, this is money that will be more wisely spent in the future on bringing back players like Reyna, JOB, Lewis.....none of which seem to have Mathis' or Sanneh's attitude, or Kiro's suckiness...... :D

IMO, the bottom five are overpaid, by MLS standards...

About time, too!!! :) :rolleyes:

18. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    The minimum salary doesn't have to be exorbitant or "classy"-sounding, just liveable. Tom Soares was only making about four hundred pounds a week before he got his new deal at Crystal Palace. He's young.

Thankfully, MLS hasn't gone the route of always signing over-the-hill superstars. But it has made some poor valuations of the stars that it has signed. The league should try to find the vein of players who are going to put out an effort for MLS. Like Nowak and Kubik in Chicago. Or tap CONCACAF more, if possible. Ruiz is a bigger star than Mathis and Sanneh put together. In the meantime, give the youngsters something to buy food with.

19. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know if it's unusual for a league to have 3 defensive players (Pope, Sanneh, Armas) in its Top 10 salaries?

Guys like Chris Armas are well-respected, but it's not like they add much drawing power to a team.

It seems to me that MLS may be paying too high a premium to have USMNT players in the league just for the sake of having USMNT players.

I can see paying relatively high dollars to forwards, attacking midfielders or wide midfielders who bring some excitement to a game and can help draw fans.

But making a defensive midfielder one of the highest paid players in MLS doesn't make much sense to me when you have exciting players like an O'Brien or Twellman relatively underpaid.

20. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.... And i forgot to add Ruiz, Twellman into the equation before

21. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Thats the only way they could get him here.

I think that Wolff's is much more ridiculous though.

22. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Checketts wanted him.

Thats all it took.

23. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Minimum salary $50k .

Bonus of $1000 per game played.

Bonus of $1500 per win played in.

If you team wins 15 of 30 games and you play in all 30 you make $100k+.

Thats for Chris Leitch type players.

Do we want to pay Chris Leitch that much? No but if we had that kind of money on the table the competition for those types of spots becomes very fierce and palyers like Leitch will improve in a hurry or get moved out.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Bingo, plus Ellinger really wanted him.

25. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    The problem MLS has is it signs players based on their perception of marketability and not on pure performance potential.

As a result we end up with teams with small of stars backed up by a large contingent of average type players. This league simply doesn't value non stars (you would think after ten years they would learn that such a path is not effective).