Too many 'good squad players'?

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Naughtius Maximus, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    According to some of the reports we intend to buy people like Lucio and Scott Parker.

Whilst they are both good players I don't really see either of them as first team regulars. I think you can say the same about some of the people we bought in the summer but these last 2 seem particularly irrelevant to our needs. I know I've also said elsewhere that you do need extra players to allow for injury and loss of form but I think it may be getting beyond a joke if we carry on buying like this.

So my question is; Are we buying too many good squad players instead of saving our money and spending on people who demand a start in almost every EPL and CL game?

2. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    By next season, I feel that we would see at least 3 first team players leave the club. I don't wanna name them as we all have different views on who should stay.

The point is, we are now a well financed club and as such will keep on spending year in and year out. Whether or not Lucio and Parker would be a good buy, it's up to CR to decide but I don't fancy any of those two at all.

Clubs like Milan and Real are doing the same juggling act as well. I don't see any problems once CR has got the hang of it and when the season goes into overdrive. I'll stick with the big squad for now.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You may be right about some of the existing players leaving next year and I agree we need to sort the wheat from the chaff in a competitive situation but what bothers me is that if we keep changing too quickly it will de-stabilise the side and actually hinder our chances.

I watched us against Birmingham last night and we were playing a diamond mid-field with Makalele at the back, Joe Cole up front, Geremi on the left and Lampard on the right. Leaving aside the issue of what Geremi was doing on the left the whole thing looked disjointed and I believe this is because, with this many players available for mid-field, the manager pretty much HAS to try out various options.

My point is that, if we were going to buy Zidane, say, it would be worth tinkering with a successful mid-field formula, (once we found out what it is), but I don't think it's worth changing the back 4 for Lucio for example.

You mention that clubs like Milan and Madrid have similar attitudes. I'm more afraid of ending up like Inter who, despite their spending, haven't achieved anything like the level of success over the past 20 years they probably should have done.