Tony Taylor at Pacos de Ferreira

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 1, 2009.

1. brasil10

brasil10 New Member

May 1, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan

This comments are not fair to the player. We all know his goal per minute ratio. He was not giving a fair chance at Estoril, that is known. His goal per minutes ratio speak for it self. He ask to be loaned out in search for a fair shot. He moved on to be with Atletico club of Portugal. The time spend at Atletico proved to be beneficial to his development. He was able to fight for a starting role for the whole first part of the season and was granted the position base on his contribution not on hype. Atletico, with Taylors help was in the runs for a shot to first or second place to reach a spot in the first division.

Estoril was fighting for a spot as well at that time. Estoril demanded Taylor to returned to the team for the second half of the season. When he was with Estoril at that time he was a regular starter before spending the majority of the season traveling to the USA for Olympic camps duties and that was against Estoril wishes.

He went to Score very important goals for the US in Germany and Costa Rica. And this is just a short review of his very young carrieer. Not to mention the fact that in January 2013 season he was heavely wanted by Pacos Ferreira who at the time was manage by Paulo Fonseca and were in third place in the first division. Estoril use all of his power not to let him go. Estoril knew they were not going to use Taylor but they didn't care. And I can go on and on.

Yes, New England Revolution is full of attacking talent. They were going true a bad period and manage to get back into winning ways and that is great. Just not good for Tony since he is in need to play to further develop his talent.

I don't wish to take away from the players that are with Revolution at this moment. They have being together for a whole year. I don't expect Taylor to take a spot from a player that has been with the team and is producing. However I wish you will refrain from saying he is behind players. He is a former U-20 AND U-23 player and was part of the Olympic team. Trashing him as a player is trashing the US soccer system. We spend years scouting and choosing players. The fact that he has being part of the system and was granted a spot in the Olympic team over a big pool of players, speak for it self

I hope this forum is not use to destroy a player image, specially not knowing the history of his carrier. We can only take a look at his videos and know that this is a very special player.

His time in Cyprus was a nightmare. It happend to so many of our American talent. It will not be the first or last time it happend to American players. We all know that. Nothing to do with him.
    Having 3 goal and 5 assist in less than 400 minutes? We know there is something wrong with that picture.

mike4066 repped this.
  2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    In other words, . . . he's not very good.

3. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he will be serviceable in MLS once he gets some playing time. Maybe he gets loaned out to USL or NASL next year. He has some skills but as others have said he is on a stacked team and he joined mid-season.

Tom Collingsworth and brasil10 repped this.
  4. brasil10

brasil10 New Member

May 1, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan

In other words, he is going true what many American players go true when they play in Europe.
    Might want to check his goal per minute ratio. Its speak for it self. He needs playing time to continue developing his amaxing talent.

Peace !!

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know I had the power to destroy a player's image!

I think you are being a little sensitive. I'm not trashing anybody - just dealing with facts. Someone asked why Taylor wasn't playing for New England, and I thought a few facts were pertinent -- Taylor is a 25 year old with minimal history of success in several very modest leagues. The Revolution have a lot of attacking talent and it's not surprise to me a player with Taylor's resumé hasn't been able to make many inroads into the squad.

As a fan of the Revolution, I would love nothing more than to see Taylor push our current group of players and emerge as a contributor. Thus far that hasn't happened, so we'll have to wait for 2015 when he has a chance to be involved in preseason.

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With great power comes great responsibility.

The Irish Rover, mike4066 and brasil10 repped this.
  7. brasil10

brasil10 New Member

May 1, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan

The only way we can deal with facts is by forming an opinion base on actual numbers. The rest is speculation.
    Thats just my opinion. Europe can be unfair. You and I know that. To be fair, looking at Taylor numbers he did very well.
    The Portuguese league is a very defensive league. He did very well when he was giving the chance.

As fan of the Revolition I'm not expecting a coach to move a player thats producing. Not sure why they acquirer Taylor?

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's still young so I'm sure they are expecting him to make more of an impact next season or at least show what he's got in preseason.

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After having his team option declined by NYCFC, Taylor went back abroad, to his old stomping grounds in Portugal, where he signed with Pacos De Ferreira of the 1st division.

If you didn't know, after it was clear his dream for playing with the U.S. national team wouldn't come true, he decided to accept a call-up from Panama, and now is cap-tied with them, having appeared in their WC qualifier against Mexico. Since was on their Central American Cup roster. The U.S. should beware his wrath in March. Football hath no fury like a former player scorned.

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so...MLS washouts can just latch on with Portuguese first division teams like that? will he get any playing time?

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look like he got a very short term deal, to the end of the season.

12. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really weird player to me. On his day, he could look for all the world that he had the talent to be a Piatti-level winger. Mostly, it wasn't his day very often.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    the glory days has finally arrived :D

14. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He could very well play a big role in this Paços team. Something about Portugal that motivates players to be better than people think

Diego Costa being a good example I remember watching him at Braga and Penafiel.

I think it was foolish for NYCFC to not keep him.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard around here that he was looking for more time, and NYCFC was more interested in playing their younger wingers. I don't think it was as simple as, "you're not good enough, so bye."

16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He impressed me last year, outside the final product (which is of course big for an attacker). In addition, he was a year removed from a torn acl. It's usually that second year you return to 100% (if it ever happens). He's always had potential, but is inexperienced, and still not old per se.

NYCFC has been over-stocked in the attack their first two seasons, in spite of being an expansion club. They've heavily disregarded their 5 most defensive positions, outside Matarrita, while focusing on their front 5. So it can be tough sledding to get regular minutes there. Not necessarily much of an indictment if you don't. Look at what happened with Mullins when he was traded - he sparked DCU's run to the playoffs.

Could prove a shrewd buy by Pacos them in the end. Either way it's low risk and he was available at a time when a small percentage of other players around the world were, if they needed reinforcement.

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Indeed, it looks pretty straightforward. Taylor turns 28 this summer. He has shown some ability, and had some bad breaks, but in the end despite his recent emergence with Panama, he hasn't really found a stable professional first-team situation. It probably wasn't going to happen in NY this season -- they have other, younger, players of comparable or better ability, more proven in MLS. (And they just invested in another young wing attacker in Lewis.) Good luck to him.

mike4066 repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bungadiri and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This...I want to call it a "pitch," but I can't, is about 30 yards away from the Belenenses stadium.

[​IMG]

Photo from 2011, so maybe they've done something with it since then. The stadium proper also had exactly no security on a weekday; if I wasn't worried about getting arrested while abroad in a country where I don't speak the language, I would've been able to walk onto the field.

Gorky repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's on the provisional roster for the Gold Cup:

PANAMA
    GOALKEEPERS (4): Jose Calderon (Real Cartagena, COL); Eric Hughes (CD Plaza Amador, PAN); Orlando Mosquera (Tauro FC, PAN); Alex Rodriguez (San Francisco FC, PAN)

DEFENDERS (12): Roberto Chen (Deportivo Árabe Unido, PAN); Eric Davis (FC DAC 1904 Dunajská Streda, SVK); Ricahrd Dixon (Club Atlético Platense, ARG); Fidel Escobar (Sporting Clube de Portugal, POR); Adolfo Machado (Houston Dynamo, USA); Roderick Miller (Atlético Nacional, COL); Michael Murillo (New York Red Bulls, USA); Luis Ovalle (Zamora FC, VEN); Angel Patrick (Cafetaleros de Tapachula, MEX); Richard Peralta (Tauro FC, PAN); Roman Torres (Seattle Sounders FC, USA); Jan Vargas (Tauro FC, PAN)

MIDFIELDERS (15): Ricardo Avila (KAA Gent, BEL); Edgar Barcenas (Cafetaleros de Tapachula, MEX); Ricardo Buitrago (Juan Aurich, PER); Miguel Camargo (New York City FC, USA); Francisco Castañeda (Atlético Veragüense, PAN); Armando Cooper (Toronto FC, CAN); Anibal Godoy (San Jose Earthquakes, USA); Gabriel Gomez (Atlético Bucaramanga, COL); Josimar Gomez (Deportivo Árabe Unido, PAN); Jose Gonzalez (Deportivo Árabe Unido, PAN); Leslie Heraldez (Deportivo Árabe Unido, PAN); Josiel Nuñez (CD Plaza Amador, PAN); Valentin Pimentel (CD Plaza Amador, PAN); Alberto Quintero (Club Universitario de Deportes, PER); Oscar Villarreal (Chorrillo FC, PAN)

FORWARDS (9): Jorman Aguilar (SC Olhanense, POR); Abdiel Arroyo (Danubio FC, URU); Ricardo Clarke (Zamora FC, VEN); Ismael Diaz (FC Porto, POR); Roberto Nurse (Mineros de Zacatecas, MEX); Armando Polo (Tauro FC, PAN); Alejandro Taylor (FC Paços de Ferreira, POR); Luis Tejada (Club Universitario de Deportes, PER); Gabriel Torres (FC Lausanne-Sport, SUI)

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mike4066 repped this.
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011