Tony Taylor at Pacos de Ferreira

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Also, Nurdin Hrustic:

A major sign that Jacksonville University men's soccer is going big-time occurred last week when forward Tony Taylor and defender Nurdin Hrustic left school early to turn pro. Taylor, a former Bishop Kenny standout, is training for the U.S. under-20 World Cup team and is expected to sign with a Scandanavian pro club. Hrustic, a former Wolfson standout and native of Bosnia, signed a three-year contract with Bochum in Germany.​

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/...09-05-30/story/coaches_should_not_have_a_vote

Taylor's college bio:
    http://www.judolphins.com/msoccer/roster/52/1959/

Hrustic is a 1988; he played HS ball in the States so it's possible he's a citizen, though I have no idea if that's correct:

http://www.judolphins.com/msoccer/roster/52/215/

His twin brother Nedim also plays for JU.

2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Re: U20 Tony Taylor to Scandinavia? (Also, Nurdin Hrustic)

Nedim and Nurdin? LOL :D
    ------------------------------------------
    Great catch once again DMN!

It's good news to have another U20 forward turning pro.

Hopefully he signs with a good club.

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Man, "a Scandinavian pro club" can mean so many things. Very curious to see how it turns out, but it's good to see another U20 going pro.

As for Hrustic, I don't know anything about his citizenship status. I do know that the US program has not had much luck with Bosnian-born defenders born in 1988 who played NCAA ball in the state of Florida, but who left early to sign with a German club.

;)

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I think we're going to continue to see the trend of Americans going to Scandinavia.

1) Limited restrictions on foreigners.
    2) The success of players like Charlie Davies and Jeremiah White
    3) Same caliber of play as MLS, but players may see it as a better entry point to the riches of major Euro football.

It's not good for MLS to lose these players, but in a way it is good for US soccer. MLS will have to improve opportunities for young players if they expect to sign them.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

It's nice to see him turn pro. I wonder if Rongen said to the collegiate 20s that their chances of making the WC roster would be improved if they got in a pro environment ASAP.

For the record, Neven Subotic never actually played NCAA ball.

He graduated from HS early and enrolled at South Florida for the spring semester. That summer he trialed with Mainz and was signed to a contract and never went back.

So while he spent a semester on campus, he never played college soccer though presumably he took part in spring practice.

Funny how at the time we thought Neven signing with Mainz instead of playing college ball was "good" for American soccer.:eek:

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

I'm curious to know the citizenship status of Hrustic. He's lived in the US at least six years so he likely has, at least, a Green Card, especially since he likely at assylum status as a Bosnian refugee.

I'd like to know how long they were in the US before the boys started HS.

Edited to add that a google search says, that like many other Bosnians, they first went to Germany and then came to the US, it appears at about age 10 or 11.

But, at the risk of reading too much into things, it doesn't sound like, Nurdin at least, is too commited to being in the US long term.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/033006/hig_21489537.shtml

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Americans are getting to be quite a known quantity in Scandinavia. Seven Yanks playing in the Tippeligaen, five in the SAS Liga, and three in the Allsvenskan. Guys like Heath Pearce, Ramiro Corrales, and Robbie Russell have made their mark in years past, too.

The NCAA-to-Scandinavia seems to be a relatively new thing, too. Of the 15 current YAs in the top flight leagues in Den/Swe/Nor:

6 came from MLS: Califf, Parkhurst, Brown, Freeman, Goodson, Perkins
    4 came from NCAA: Tracy, Allen, Davies, Bedoya
    3 came from other Euro leagues: White, Feilhaber, Waltrip
    1 academy kid: Diskerud
    1 free agent-type: Raybould (released from KC, I think)

Tracy, Davies, and Bedoya were legitimate MLS prospects. There's also Joe Lapira still kicking around his tiny club in the Adeccoligaen. Matt Allen (along with a bunch of other guys in the Adecco -- Connor Tobin, Chris Rodd) seem to be NCAA guys who weren't attracting any MLS interest. Allen, despite being a backup at Bryne in 2008, moved up a level to be a backup at Sandefjord, thus accomplishing the feat of being the most anonymous YA in a top-flight league.

Really, there's a nice mix of 2nd-tier talent in the US pool. The elite guys aren't going to go to Scandinavia because they'll scooped up by bigger clubs. But Scandinavia is proving to be fertile YA ground both for MLS vets looking to move up the chain and/or bigger salaries and more recently, clubs are looking to poach some of the NCAA's bigger talents. No transfer fees -- it's a good deal for the club and the player.

I don't think the flow of Yanks to Scandinavia will ever reach crisis levels for MLS. However, watching a few bona fide prospects (Davies and Tracy both could have been #1 overall picks, Bedoya was nothing to sneeze at either) and watching quality defenders like Clarence Goodson and Michael Parkhurst jump ship should be noted by Garber & the owners.

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whatever, Sandon, I'm not going to let the facts get in the way of my schtick. ;)

And Neven signing with Mainz was simply part of a trend that is good for US soccer. There was always going to be collateral damage.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

I'm gonna assume so since he's done it in the past!
    ---------------------------------------------
    It's just so easy for them.

And it's not hard to scout US players.

Marcus Tracy and Charlie Davies weren't anywhere near unknown.

Just keep your eye on the U-20 squads and who does well in College and you're pretty much going to have an unchallenged offer sent to them.

Wave $100,000+ in a college kids face to play soccer and he's gonna take it.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Folks at Jacksonville U. say Taylor has indeed left school, though he apparently hasn't signed with an agent yet.

Also, it looks like (but is not 100% certain) that the Hrustics are American citizens. With that said, Nurdin has spent time with Bosnian YNTs recently. Not sure if he is cap-tied, even provisionally.

11. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

Hrustic is going to play in Germany w/Bochum... he's capped up to U-23 for Serb's.

Tony is also set to sign in Norway, although he's in Sweeden with AIK on trial.

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

Thanks for the info!

Any idea on which club in Norway?

13. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hrustic has never played for any Bosnian youth national teams, but his move to the Bochum has put him on the radar for the U21 team. As an '88, he is still eligible. As far as I know, he has expressed a desire to play for Bosnia.

The Bosnian national team is currently in its best spell since independence. The emergence of quality players like Dzeko, Misimovic, Ibisevic, and Salihovic has made WC qualification a genuine possiblity (currently 2nd in group 5 behind Spain). However, the team's problem areas in defense. Fans and coaches are desperate for defensive prospects to emerge and consider Hrustic to be one such possibility assuming he succeeds at Bochum.

14. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can't forget Miralem Pjanic when you name the quality Bosnians. He's only going to be one of the best in Europe in a few years.

15. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, he's been capped by the serbs, is an '88, and has born in bosnia...thats weird.

I think that if the US came calling even for just a camp he wouldn't turn us down. As far as playing in a WC goes, I think he knows where he should turn:D

16. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That whole former yugoslav thing is very complicated. IIRC from the Subotic debacle if you're parents were born in Yugoslavia you are essentially eligible for any of the countries that made up the country.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

It can't hurt to ask.

18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  19. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Well, he ain't going back to college now.

21. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A start against Start would be a good start.

22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

Well not really cuz thats the team he wants to sign with! :D

What you meant is:

A start with Start would be a good start.

23. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
  24. RickF

RickF New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
  25. So_Cal23

So_Cal23 New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

great move by Taylor. Should be a solid move in his development.