Tony talks

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by goalscorer111, Jun 30, 2005.

1. goalscorer111

goalscorer111 New Member

Jan 23, 2004
  2. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    The only thing that surprised me from that article is how much Metro is paying him. I didnt think they would spend that much on him.

3. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
    Cost is no concern for a SUPER CLUB!! :D

4. fan

fan New Member

Jan 21, 1999

It's unclear what "a bit less" means. Could be $100,000 less, or could be $20,000 less. Nobody ever likes to admit to having a pay cut.

5. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY

i'm sure its closer to the 100k less mark, with a chance to make it up through bonuses and incentives, etc.

6. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    Tony made 100 thousand when he was playing for the Long island Roughriders.

7. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When can we expect Tab Ramos to come out of retirement to help Lalas out for $200 K or or so a yr???

8. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I suppose we're recruiting Maradona to help Tony eat all the donuts...

9. DJNaco

DJNaco New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    North Florida
    Only if they're the powdered kind.

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, even he calls the team "New York", and he's from Kearny.Where's the home state love?

11. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a sec...he is 36, hasn't played a year.... no one else wanted him and we are paying him this much.... Damn, that's just silly.....We in the end are most likely paying him more than we paid Jonny Walker? If so, this makes no sense....

12. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I think a large portion of his pay is goalkeeper coaching pay, hence the comment about how he and Zach Wells are going to "learn a lot from each other." Lalas is making a smart move. He has gotten a world-class backup and potentially a very skilled long-term member of the coaching staff. Lalas is making smart decisions to shore us up in weak spots in the short term and to build us up for the future. So far, I am quite impressed.

13. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    If that's all youre going on to back up your GK coach assertion, thats a mighty long limb you're out on.

14. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    Why would that suprise you? No one can compare NJ with NY. NY sends our garbage to NJ and the feel lucky to get it.

15. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it you are talking about the Jets and the Giants. Yeah, we are lucky to have them. They sure aren't wanted across the river, eh? But, please, don't send the Rangers or Knicks here! They need to go to the toxic waste dump in Iowa. (I'm hoping nobody here's from Iowa!) :D

Now, back to soccer...

16. DJNaco

DJNaco New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    North Florida
    From Big Apple Soccer

The Kearny, N.J. native said that he would like to start eventually, but that decision is up to coach Bob Bradley.

"It's completely up to him," Meola said after practice on Wednesday. "I don't think they brought me to sit the bench.

"He knows I come to work everyday. I'm the first there and the last to leave."

So much for Meola being content as a back up.

17. tpsjh

tpsjh New Member

Jun 10, 1999
    LA
    Easy there pessimists -- let's see what the future has to hold. Zack has showed some promise, but has been blatantly inconsistent in the nets in the past few matches. Perhaps Tony's ultimate and most crucial role is to show some direct leadership to the nascent keeper(s) and to pass on the torch (so to speak). Lest we forget, Meola has an invaluable surplus of experience to offer a young keeper. If I were Zach, I would be happy to have his level of expertise to alude too.

Let's not jump the gun -- have faith in the management system and we shall soon see what comes to fruition. Both Walker and Wells have no championships, nor any World Cups, to speak of. Some before we discount the CV of Meola as beyond his athletic potential (remember Shilton et. al - 40 + superb goalkeepers), let us keep careful watch and hope a championship will soon be beheld by our beloved Metros. :)

18. livestock

livestock New Member

Dec 27, 2004
    be here now
    At this point, whatever they do has to bring results. If Meola gets between the pipes and the Metros win a few in a row, maybe, just maybe, attendance will grow. That's the only type of result, ultimately, that will justify any front-office move. Winning is the ultimate PR tool.
    Let's say the Metros go on a 10 game winning streak...how many more bodies will that equate to in the stadium? Doesn't matter who's in the line-up then.

19. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    This is the first photo of Tony taken after practice yesterday as he was on his way to the press conference. I think most would agree that he certainly has to work on his conditioning:

[​IMG]

20. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Don't be an ass. That doesn't even look like Meola. It's good to know that Marcelo Vega stayed in the area, though. :D

21. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    They are not paying Tony this kind of money to sit the bench. Anybody who thinks he isnt going to come in and get the starting job is in a dream world. As long as he is fully recovered from injury he is going to be the starter. He is a much better keeper than Wells.

22. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of which:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12028723.htm

"Meola, who had surgery on his tendon in January, said he’s not fully recovered, but will be on the bench Monday. He also expects to start one day."

23. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i expect sexual favors from jessica simpson one day

24. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    It's kinda like aviation. Fly into the region and you listen on New York Radio, then contact New York Approach; when leaving you contact New York Departure.

And they expect to hear English.

25. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
    Since when is haveing a fat goalie a bad thing? It work for all 3 might ducks movies :p