Tony Meola - WC 2006 Goalie

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by QuakeAttack, Aug 2, 2002.

1. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meola has played great at times, like KC's championship season. He is no where near world class. Did you see his first touch of the ball during the All-Star game, and that was before the rainstorm mind you. A great example of how he has consistently given away balls through poor and sloppy distribution due to his bad foot skills throughout his career. He gets beat near post more than most good keepers. His stunning '94 Cup run was not so brilliant in retrospect and he quit the national team to attempt a career as a place kicker in the NFL for Pete's sake!!! Which, in my book, is way worse than anything Pyro-Goose pulled. No way is Meola around in 2006, unless it is as a GK coach.

2. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    #1-Zach Thornton
    #2-Tim Howard
    #3-Rimando/Hartman

but who knows how things will shape up in the future? Somebody could really come on or somebody could just flop...

3. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Are you dumb? Zach Thornton? I am hoping that someone comes along who is better the Howard but Thornton?

4. SoccerMavn

SoccerMavn Member

Oct 7, 1999
    On the pitch
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, hasn't the Second Coming himself, Adin Brown, dropped off the radar screen. And deservedly so.

Howard and Thornton in 2006 seem to be locks, barring injury. I wouldn't be surprised to see either Friedel, Keller or Meola at number three though. Experience is a useful thing to have, even if only in training.

5. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    All this means is that some lucky bunch of supporters are going to get to sing "Who ate all the Pies?" in four years time.

6. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    If Meola can stay competitive in MLS during the next 3 years, I don't think it's a major stretch for him to be on the bench again in 2006.

Why was he brought along this year?
    He knew as well as anyone he was brought in primarily to keep order on the team and because he knows how Bruce Arena runs things.

He is a favorite of Bruce for the non-soccer issues that come during a tournament and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch in my mind to see the keepers for 2006 be:

Friedel or Keller (but not both)
    2 of Howard, Cannon, Meola.

If you had to rate USA goalkeeper performances in World Cup matches since 1990... it could very well be:
    1) Meola (1990, 1994)
    2) Friedel (2002)
    3) Keller (1998)

By the way ... still calling him "Near Post Tony" really does him a disservice and goes back to positioning problems of 8 years ago. "No Respect Tony" may be more accurate.

7. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pretty surprised by the popular opinion that Keller and/or Friedel will drop out of contention for the next WC. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see them both battling for the top spot again. I predict that at least one of them will be on the team. Goalies only get better (wiser) with age, even Meola. Of course, I guess it is just as likely that one of them will retire in a huffing and puffing pouting episode.

8. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think another part of the reason Tony was the 3rd Keeper, was Bruce did not want to show any favoritism to any of the potential keepers developing in MLS for 2006. If he had chosen Nick R. or Tim Howard, that would have made them the likely #1 for 2006. By not selecting any of them, all now feel they have an equal chance.

I think the following are the best candidates for 2006.
    Tim Howard
    Joe Cannon
    Brad Friedel (obviously)
    JD Countess (if he recovers from his injury well).

I think any hopeful for GK should be trying to get into the EPL. Our great keepers have been coming from there, and I think both Tim Howard and Joe Cannon should try to find an EPL team to continue their development over the next four years.

Would agree with this. I think Keller 2002 could have been better then Friedel 2002 (except for the Korea game), but we will never know.

9. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    the last laugh...

We're not laughing with you, Sweep, we're laughing AT you. Idiot...Thornton is arguably(likely) the best 'keeper in MLS. Let's see...
    this is all before the current season:
    in net in 113 MLS reg. season matches
    66-33-11 record
    shut out every team except New England
    Led the Fire to to 2 U.S. Open Cups('98 & 2000) and 1 MLS Cup('98, shut out D.C.)
    Won the MLS championship his first year as a starter('98)
    Made MLS best 11 that same year, named to All-Star team and won MLS Pepsi GK of the year
    Named to All-Star team every year since joining the Fire ('98,'99,2000,2001)
    Has climbed to the top of MLS GK charts...1st in all-time wins (66) and 3rd in shutouts(29)
    2001 Chicago Defender of the Year and league leading GAA(1.23). Played every minute of every game that year. Career high and league high 9 shutouts that year. Made over 5 saves several times in 1-0 victories that year.
    2001 Play-offs GAA 0.79
    2000 started 25 games, 14-0-0, 91 saves, 1.28 GAA
    2000 playoffs helped Chicago make its second appearance in MLS Cup
    1999 started 30 games with GAA 1.09

US Nats: 8 full Caps, "Man of the Match" vs. Trinidad & Tobago(4 saves)
    Started all 3 games at Pan Am Games in '95
    Started 2 of 5 games @ World Univ. Games in '95
    Led East to the gold medal @ the Olympic Festival in '94

College: Loyola-MD, finished last year('93-'94)and career with 31 shutouts and 0.58 GAA in 43 games played. Helped Loyola to a 15-4-2 record his last year there.

Oh...and he considers his good friend Tim Howard as his most "anticipated foe"

I see Zach play week in and week out and he is the friggin' business! No doubt about it.
    I believe this year he not only leads MLS in shutouts but in GAA too. If not, then he's certainly way up there. He's also widely considered one of the best, if not the best defensive organizers in MLS.

Now if that isn't a F'n pedigree what is???

I don't usually think quoting stats like this is necessary; but for you, take a long, hard look and eat your words fool!

cheers! :)

10. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I love when Fire supporters call Meola "fat". If you want fat, look at your #1.

I wouldn't bet on it, but he does fit the bill for a #3. Great attitude, and if Friedel isn't there, someone's got to help along the rookie.

11. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Meola just gave up six the other day in Morellia, so maybe we better look elsewhere in 2006.

12. Ronaldo13

Ronaldo13 New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    NY
    In 2006 i think Tim Howard will be stronger than Tony in goal...Tim will be the US goalie not Tony

13. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Re: the last laugh...

If you listed all of Meolas "credentials you'd be searching the web for stats all freaking day. Your stats for Thorton don't even compare.

I wouldnt go so far as to call you dumb, but come on. Thorton is not the best keeper in MLS. Meola probably isnt either. People call Meola fat? I've stood right next to him a handful of time, I assure you he is no where near fat. Thorton, has a belly.

14. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Ahem. He gave up 6 in the last 40 minutes. thats about 14.0 GAA.

15. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    but then you rated him first among US goalie performances-for his play 8 years ago :confused:

16. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Not really. What I said was:

If you look at the 3 goalies we had on the roster for the 2002 WC. Each is about the same age and has been the #1 at the World Cup.
    Meola was the #1 in 1990, and 1994.
    Keller was #1 in 1998.
    Friedel was #1 in 2002.
    Based on their performances during their respective world cups, Tony's may have been the most impressive. This doesn't mean he is the best of the 3. The sporting world only cares about "What have you done for me lately?" and obviously Tony shouldn't be the #1 today.

Look to 2006 and the roles each could play. The #1 for this team could be Friedel, Keller, or one of the younger keepers like Cannon or Howard.
    If Friedel or Keller is the #1, I would be suprised if the other accepted the #2 job.
    Tony would very likely accept the #3 job again in 2006 where his experience and demeanor could be vital to the development of a younger keeper and help with unity in the team.

The comment about calling him "Near post Tony" after all these years was a secondary/unrelated issue. It doesn't apply anymore.

17. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    Re: Re: the last laugh...

I understand the points you're making. It did occur to me after posting that Meola has some incredible stats as well and a list of them as long as my arm...and that is generally why I don't put much faith in stats alone; Anybody can prove anything they want with them. Stats and counter-stats all day long...so I totally agree. However, I wanted to show that Zach is a great 'keeper as well and deserves to be recognized as one.
    Also, I want to make it clear I've never called Meola fat or anything similar. That wasn't part of my argument. I also agree that Zach could probably stand to shed some pounds. You'd have to be blind not to see he's a big guy. But he's also a muscular and strong guy to go with it. It probably surprises no one to know he's the strongest guy on the team. And very, very quick I might add. He has incredible reflexes as he's proved and continues to prove. I can only imagine he'd be that much quicker if he were a bit lighter. But I digress...
    As for him not being the best 'keeper in the league...I still think he probably is. If not him than who else? I would accept that Tim Howard and Zach proabably share and rotate that position from week to week. They are both ultra-talented. Maybe their are 1 or 2 others in their caliber. The MLS may not have a "definitive" best like Kahn in the Bundesliga, Dudek for Poland or Schmeichel used to be in the EPL. But Thornton does deserve league-wide respect from other than Fire fans.
    as Jaime Foxx puts it: "Ya better recognize...will..you?" :)
    There are several good 'keepers in MLS and all of them shine from time to time and game to game, but very few have shown it consistently over entire seasons and careers. Zach defintately has achieved this. I think Zach is also brilliant at the "intangibles" of the game like field generalship and running a defense. He's not afraid to take chances, a hit or dive at an attacker's feet. He doesn't seem to ever get intimidated by anyone.
    Ultimately I just want to say he deserves his roster spot on the U.S. nat.'s and definately a legit shot at #1.

cheers

18. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Has he ever had authentic German Bavarian cream pie?

19. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    This will hurt Tony

20. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Bruce Arena disagrees with you.

21. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    auf Deutsche (courtesy of Babelfish)

Wer aß alle Pie?

22. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I believe in 4 years Howard will more than fixed his occassional positional and concentration errors. These things get fixed with experience, and in 4 years these will be a thing of the past and you cant deny that he is probably the most athletic U.S. keeper ever. This will make him #1, with a friedel or Keller (probably not both due to egos..)supporting assuming they havent retired or fallen out of the picture..

23. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    He has said he didn't bring them because he thought it would do their development better to actually play in games for a month rather than sit on the bench for a month.

24. CGoal

CGoal Member

May 2, 2001
    Kearny, NJ - USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion.. Tony went to Japan because BA knew that Keller and Freidal were battling out for 1 and 2 and that the loser would be a little hurt and might effect that person... And that #2 might even be a little pissed off and not be into the games as much because they are not #1.

Bringing Tony aboard was a security blanket in the sense that #2 may walk and we still have experience.

I am all for keeping Tony around. But he must show that he is worthy. He may be another security blanket in '06

25. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I said: but then you rated him first among US goalie performances-for his play 8 years ago

Then you said
    hmmm. Anyway...Tony wasn't very impressive in '90 and was responsible for the Romania goal which sends us on to play against Brazil (maybe, who knows what would've happened had they not scored there), but that was a horrible goal to give up. And since I was there I still hold it against him (mockseriousness)
    True, but guess what Bill Buckner, Roberto Baggio, Scott Norwood are going to be remembered for despite exceptional careers?