Tony Adams

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Jeff L, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It almost definately looks likely (as if we did not already assume it) that TONY ADAMS is going to retire from Arsenal and competitive football for the foreseeable future as he has just rejected a 1 year deal to NY/NJ Metrostars.
    The main reason being that he wants more "quality family time", so I think that will take up all his time until he feels that a coaching/managing job is what he now requires.

2. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Thank God he rejected that offer. It's nice to see that not every ageing star is looking for one last paycheck.

3. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox Point - While I would normally agree with that arguement statement, I would however, have made an exception, just so I would have had a chance to see Captain Tone play in the flesh.

4. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was wondering how long it would take before the ArsenalAmerica fans came up with that one!!
    However a valid point, and after watching him for about 20 years, I would have eeven paid the air fare to New York to continue watching him!
    (Providing the games did not "clash" with the AFC home games!!!).

5. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    I too usually groan and roll my eyes when some faded star (cough-Gazza-cough) tries to come to the US. But having never seen Adams play it would have been cool to go to a MetroStars match in my Arsenal shirt, bring a big Arsenal banner and root for Tone.

6. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    I feel the same way...that is I hate to see a faded star clinging to a career thats ended BUT to see Adams in person would be a great compliment to ArsenalAmerica!`

7. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sorry, mate, you post just doesn't make any sense.

1) "... almost definately(sic) likely"?

2) retiring "for the forseeable future"? As opposed to what? Retiring for the evening?

3) Competitive football and the NT/NJ Metrostars have nothing to do with each other.

-G. Rex

8. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1). He has still not "officially" told Arsenal that he is no longer going to play, and the number 6 jersey has not been re-allocated. However by not attending training, it is therefore "almost definately" that he will "not likely" make himself available for the forthcoming EPL season.

2). "Retiring" for the "foreseeable future" from "competitive football" refers to the fact that he turned down the opportunity of being player/Coach of Watford F.C.
    For the "forseeable future" indicates that he has not present or forthcoming plans to either play or coach, but that does not mean that he will not undertake either role "forever".
    3). Yes, I agree, MLS is not "competitive" in any way shape or form, even accepting the fact that D.C. United have not taken up the option of signing "Gazza" for a year. He also had a say in this as well, and might now consider going to Darlington in Div.3. "What a decision to choose between"!!

9. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jeff- I'm not bustin' your chops here. It's just that

A) When you say that something looks "almost definately(sic) ... likely" that it is most assuredly a definitive certainty that there is no reason to doubt, under any circumstances, that a certain thing might happen. Unquestionably. You think we Yanks mangle this language? We're just taking care of it for you.

2) Retiring for the forseeable future? Someday I will be dead. Or, shall I say, resting "for the forseeable future?" I love The Tone as much as the next guy, but face it, he's hung his cleats up, and that's it. Godspeed Mr. Adams!

III) That third remark was a dig on the Metrostars, not MLS. Considering the fact that DC United is undefeated against EPL sides (Leeds 1-1, and an embarassing 3-1 game against Newcastle - it wasn't even that close), Gazza can well go to Darlington.

By the way, fancy a pint when the Arsenal America crew drops in?

-G. Rex

10. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    When you can't even spell and pronounce the "Queen's English" correctly, what hope do "you Yanks" of communicating in an "Oxford Way" that the rest of the English speaking world understands fully!
    (Now THAT's a "dig"!!!) (LOL).

Maybe you don't quite understand just how hard it is going to be to adapt to life without TA6. He REALLY is Arsenal!! In fact I will be contacing Mr. Dein, the Vice Chairman tomorrow with a suggestion that the number 6 jersey is "retired" (just like "our Tone"???!!!!) to honoUr his time at Arsenal. Without doubt he is my favoUrite player ever to wear the red coloUred jersey of our team!!

As to the "dig" at "Metrostars" I couldn't even tell you how they are doing, let alone their record. If I am to have any alligience to any MLS team, initially it would have been D.C. United (although I do not like the last part of the name!) as my "best buddy" lives in northern Virginia, and one Christmas he sent me their shirt.
    However, with the possibility of "Gazza" going there that would have changed for sure! Thankfully not now!
    My other team would have been the Tampa Bay Mutiny as my wife was born in St. Petersburg, FL. and my in-laws are all based around the Gulf side of Florida, down to Fort Myers Beach area, and I will (hopefully)? be moving there in about 4 years time.

So no intentional "digs" intended.
    AND..... (as I sit drinking a pint of Guiness while I type) you think I will settle for JUST ONE PINT....!!!!???? "You are VERY much mistaken!
    I look forward to the US Crew coming over, and intend to meet up with Rick in April when I stop into New York for a few days.
    So, through away that "Jurasic Park" dictionary, and pick up a REAL English one on your visit.
    P.S. Do you how far "Arsenal" is from the front of any dictionary? "Too Far"!!! It should be the first word!!
    Best Wishes, JEFF.

11. GJ40

GJ40 Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Apex
    Going out in style

Tony Adams seems to be ending his playing career with class. More athletes should take note. He's done it all, why spoil it by trying to play too long. I would have enjoyed seeing him play in the MLS but I'm glad for his legacy's sake that he isn't. What more could he have accomplished?

12. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, if you really think one pint's going to do the trick, you've got another thing coming to you. (No comments, please, Rev or Dave Brother). One pint leads to another, you know...

As for the Queen's English, which used to be the King's English, until he got dead, you're right on the money. Until, of course, those pro-Euro people knock them out, and you can go to Canada to see the Queen on the money.

I've never thrown out a dictionary in my life. As Chief Lexicographical Officer of Arsenal America, I consider it my duty! Eric Partidge's "Origins: A Short Etymological Dictionary of Modern English" is not only a good reference, but a fun read!

And regarding the whole spelling thing: as much as you people make fun of the French (an activity which, I assure you, is not without merit), I refuse to kowtow to them with their "coloUr" and "centRE" and such.

Sheesh, you folks finally (I think) got a uniform number of digits in your phone numbers - maybe you'll learn to drive on the right side of the road soon.

-G. Rex

PS- Though I prefer a colder, lighter Fullers London Pride (or ESB, if the Pride's not available), a Guinness does sound downright tasty.

13. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "G. REX".
    Making fun of the French which used to be a national pasttime is now curtailed for obvious reasons being an Arsenal fan, but it is in fact in the English language that the "our" in words such as colour, rumour, favourite, etc that bears this origin. The French use "eur".
    I begin to worry about your alliance with the "Euro Nasties". When you get over here, I presume you'll now order wine instead of beer, and in litres instead of a pint! (Emm, that's a bigger measure, I'll let you get away with that one!)
    Oh, and by the way, we do drive on the right side of the road. It's called, "The Left"!!
    (Just as they do in Japan, Ireland, Cyprus, India, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, etc. etc.!!!).
    "Bon nuit, mon ami!!".

14. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    TONY ADAMS (Part 2)

Today, Arsene Wenger has said in a press conference,
    "Tony Adams is no longer an Arsenal player".
    "Whether he wishes to continue to play will be a decision that he will have to make, but I feel that his future lays in another direction. I am not worried about him, as he has a great future".
    So now we can state for sure that the "almost positivetly definate" is now a "definate definate"!!! (G. Rex!!!!!!).
    The end of an era, and a legend for ever. God Bless you Tony, and for everything that you have done for, and achieved with Arsenal Football Club.

15. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You sure? ;)

-G. Rex

16. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    TONY ADAMS (Part 2)

"P O S I T I V E" ! ! !

I have also contacted Mr. Dein about "retiring" Tony's number in his honour. If there is any doubt him no longer being an Arsenal player, he will tell me.