Tonight's SPL scores [R]

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Scottish_Morton, Oct 27, 2004.

1. the_baron

the_baron New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    County Tyrone
    If anybody would say that about an Irish League team, he would be the first person to say 'Bigot'. :p

Shock Horror, I agree with Gordon EF. :O

2. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh

You know it makes sense.:D

3. CW1980

CW1980 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Belfast
    So, what are you saying? That you can't be a "supporter" unless you go to every game? Also, what does my nationality have to do with anything? Would you tell an Indian who developed an interest in East Fife to GTF just because he wasn't born in Methil?

Grow up.

4. CW1980

CW1980 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Belfast
    I take it you're referring to me there, Baron? I don't think I've ever accused anyone on here of being a bigot. Say what you want about the Irish League, I'm hardly likely to lose the bap over it.

Out of interest, I assume you must have been born in the Republic of Ireland? That's the only reason I can think of as to why someone who lives in County Tyrone doesn't support the country they are resident in.

5. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I'm not saying that at all. Of course, I would just not expect him to slag off teams like Caley Thistle for getting less than fantastic crowds.

I just think it's very hypocritical (especially for OF fans who go to few, if any games for whatever reason) to criticise other teams crowds.

6. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Surely he can support who he likes?

Grow up, hypocrite.

7. CW1980

CW1980 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Belfast
    So you wouldn't have a go at any Scottish-born Rangers fan who chose to support England over Scotland...?

8. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Of course I would. They're utter scum.

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Have some rep Gordon.

10. CW1980

CW1980 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Belfast
    Originally Posted by CW1980
    So you wouldn't have a go at any Scottish-born Rangers fan who chose to support England over Scotland...?

Believe it or not, I do agree with you that the Scottish neds who attach themselves to Rangers and who head to Ibrox clad in England regalia aren't really doing themselves or the club any favours (nb. I'm sure you'll bring up the Union Flag issue here, but I'll back the fans of all UK clubs to carry this as, lest we forget, it is our national flag).

But what you've said above seems to suggest that it's OK for a Northern Irishman to support their rivals ahead of the country they were born in, but not for a Scotsman to do the same?

Of course, I reckon you were being sarky in the first instance, so I'd hope you would see why, as a Northern Ireland "supporter" (do I have to tell you how many games I've been to in order to label myself as such?), I'm a bit peeved that so many people from one side of the community in our wee country feel that they can't get behind our team.

We have made great strides over the past couple of years, and in that time I haven't heard a single sectarian song inside a ground where Northern Ireland have been playing. I refer you to the following, and ask you to pay special attention to the post by "Coolcol" -- if only others were as open-minded as him and didn't peddle lies and filth about Northern Ireland supporters being bigoted neanderthals, which you clearly think I am.

http://ourweecountry.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1591&hl=

I can understand why many Scottish Rangers fans are apathetic about the Scottish national side. Not only are the team pish, but the Old Firm fans probably wouldn't turn up to a Scotland game and advertise the fact that they are Rangers or Celtic supporters for fear of followers of the likes of Aberdeen, Inverness, and, dare I say it, East Fife who have not just chips but full fish suppers on both shoulders giving them unnecessary grief.

Anyhow, I've gone off on a tangent but you'll be glad to hear that this rant is over (for now).

11. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    We agree on something. Of course, the UJ is the national flag of the UK. However, you and I both know that many people take them to games because they are bigots and see the UJ as representing this.

Not at all. I'm not aware of that type of situation in Northern Ireland, don't agree with it at all though.

I was. I wasn't having a go at you for not attending every game, just suggesting you shouldn't be having a pop at ICT.
    I'm pleased to hear that. To be honest, bigotry in Northern Ireland isn't an issue I care about, I do get pissed off when it spreads to Scotland in the shape of the OF. I don't think you're a "bigoted neanderthal", can you balme me for having a lower opinion of OF fans than others though. I would wonder why you support Rangers though and would be surprised if bigotry had nothing to do with it.

Northern Ireland are "pish" and have never really had many decent sides, you still support them though. Scotland are pish and I still support them, why do you think a Scottish Rangers fan might be any different? I know Rangers fans and I'm friends with Rangers fans. I'm not stupid enough to hate every single Rangers fan, especially not one who supports Scotland. Say what you like but I don't have a chip on my shoulder. There are things I really don't like about Rangers and Celtic fans and I say what I think.