Tomorrow on Phoenix: West Germany vs. East Germany, 1974!

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Gregoriak, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    For those interested in World Cup history, tomorrow German TV channel Phoenix will show the infamous West Germany vs. East Germany game from the 1974 World Cup.

Recently some people have assumed that West Germany lost deliberately to avoid the tougher group with Brazil, Holland and Argentina - watch this game and tell us if it actually looked like that. I say it didn't.

It will be shown on Phoenix on Tuesday at 15:15 and repeated on Tuesday night at 1:15.

2. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    G: I think we discussed this, but I forget the answer. Do you have any
    West Germany via 72? :cool:

3. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    So you liked the 1972 Euro final game vs. the Soviets?

The following 1972 West Germany games will be part of the second set of DVDs:

England 1-3 West Germany (Euro QF, first leg)
    West Germany 4-1 USSR (friendly)
    Belgium 1-2 West Germany (EURO SF)
    West Germany 5-1 Switzerland (friendly)

The games in the second set are currently being converted to NTSC, once that is done, the games will start to circulate.

4. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    well..yeah, but I noticed the quality on that one wasn't the greatest. Not a horrible picture, but not very crisp. Which I know is going to be hard to get. :eek:

cool..I will be looking forward to it.

5. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    That is true, but I have tapes with really horrible footage quality, you should watch those!

The reason for that is that this tape is already ca. 10 years old, I guess the guy that I bought it from used an old tape. Plus, as you know, the DVD was recorded in EP-mode, which further lowers the viewing quality.

The huge majority of the games in the second set will all be recorded in SP-mode with much better footage quality. Of the 1972 games particularly the one at Wembley and the two friendlies will be of much better quality (the semi vs Belgium is unfortunately only black-and-white). The disadvantage is that there will be a whole lot more of DVD burning to be done, as the number of discs naturally increase.

The second set is already shipped over to America, otherwise I would have added the 1972 Euro final vs. USSR recorded in SP-mode. But I already plan a third set of games, I will fit that game into the third package, and anybody that would like to get it again in better quality (not EP), could burn a copy of it.

6. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Thanks G. any footage is fine. I totally understand the "quality issues". You already sent the second set?? Was I on that routing list??

7. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Wait, you missed the thread? And I was already wondering why you didn't appear in it. Looks like you will be #46 then .... considering how long it takes everyone to burn copies, they will probably not arrive at your place before early 2007. Really sorry about that.

Just kidding! ;)

There is no thread so far, because althought the games are already in the U.S., Nekkibasara first has to do the converting, and when that is done, I will start a thread about it.

8. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    you are right, I would not see it before 2007. :p :eek:
    cool, I can always edit my name to the top of the list :D

9. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    any more Holland games as well?

10. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Two Holland 1974 games:

Holland 4-0 Argentina (imo the peak performance of total football, it doesn't get much better than this, total domination and annihilation, could have been 8-0) [unfortunately the last minute is missing from the DVD!]

and, due to popular demand....

Holland 1-2 West Germany (120 minutes)

Will probably add 1 or 2 further Holland games in the third set.

11. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC