Tommy Smyth gets it right.

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by red lass, Oct 20, 2004.

1. red lass

red lass New Member

May 2, 2002
    Must say Tommy Smyth has big ones. On ESPNews today when asked about Yanks and Red Sox been the biggest rivalry in sports he said no way. compared to soccer he said it was just a storm on a teacup( not sure exactly that means) Tommy listed Boca /River are the biggest quickly followed by Celtic / Rangers and Barca/ Real Madrid. Then closed out with a talk about AC Milan and Inter who he said play this week-end. Over 80,000 fans from the same city now he said that is passion. Not sure if I agree with all this. I am sure there are many at ESPN who wont be happy with Tommy slamming baseball.

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I don't know about that. Isnt' FOx showing those games?

3. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    I'm not sure many at ESPN know who Tommy Smyth is.

4. Soulphish

Soulphish Member

Dec 2, 2001
    West Virginia

beano cook slammed baseball this morning on espn when they asked him about ny/boston. he said he didn't care because there is life outside of the redsox/yankees regardless of what you (espn) say to the contrary....

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    It's Irish for "tempest in a teapot".

Really though, who cares? A rivalry is as big as its participants and their fans think it is. There's no way to quantify it, no matter what some silly talking head on ESPN says.

6. jammybastard

jammybastard Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Flyoverland
    Tommy's just stating the obvious to anyone who's not under the delusion of modern sports marketing. When the MLB declares the winner "World Champs" it's a load of s-h-i-t-e.
    Win a Treble, or even a Double agains the best in the world. Only then we should give a toss about any sport, let alone baseball.
    After all, most of the big sports are global now, so why can't we have *real* World Champs like we do in the World Cup.
    That would set some people straight on how important their so called *championship* is.

:mad:

7. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Not only fellow Espn co-workers, but most American sportsfans wouldn't understand the rivalry that goes on in world football....the passions that are invoked are beyond anything Americans have seen. (ie, religion, class, politics, much less regional rivalries)

Right now, I'm watching local news in Boston as the Red Sox have beat the Yankees 4 games to 3 and won the pennant, and as the large crowd gathers in Kenmore Square where a lame bonfire is set, some trash cans thrown at a bank, and lines of police enforcing where fans can and can't go (why there are riots when teams win rather than lose is beyone me, but that's another topic) is tame compared to what you see on an ANNUAL basis in Glasgow, Buenas Aires, Rome, Milan, Istanbul, Seville, etc. etc. etc.

But that's expected...if there was only one sport in the U.S., rather than MLB, NFL, NBA, the college games...then you would see something bordering all at war with fans, literally...in a way, with all the sports in the U.S. calendar year, passion is defused.

LOL...as i speak, the police are running at the crowd and dispersing it rather quickly...kinda like a WTO peace protest bust up in the U.S. (not the rest of the world)...hilarious....

8. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    :rolleyes:

I just can't stand people like this who automatically assume Americans don't have any passion for sports because they don't light off flares and beat up away fans.

*BLECH*

9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Silly you.
    Don't you realize (arrests + injuries + deaths)/(# of games * population of communities involved) = passion? You have so much to learn.

10. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Tommy is justified in his answer. Not only is he right about those rivalries, but if he was asked that question, on non-soccer showing ESPNews, then it makes me think that the question was staged, and that it was meant to be said that Boca/River Plate or Celtic/Rangers have a larger rivarly than the Red Sox/Yankees. And, although I am happy the Red Sox won (and also happy that the Cardinals will surely beat them to win the World Series), there is no way a rivarly can be big unless those two teams can fight among themselves for a championship. In the case of the Red Sox v. Yankees, they are both in the AL, and thus will never meet for the World Series title. If, however, those two teams were in different leagues (AL and NL), and they consistently met in the World Series, AND the Yankees didn't win all the time, then MAYBE that baseball rivalry could be considered one of the biggest in the world.

One more thing:
    Boca vs. River is a huge rivalry, but I would have to say that the Catholic vs Protestant rivalry within the Celtic/Rangers "Old Firm" derby is by far the most intense, long-lasting, heart-wrenching rivalry there is. I mean, I've been told that the fans of the losing team don't even go to work the day after the derby because they are afraid to show their faces to those who supported the winner. Plus, religion seems to be a big part of people's lives...

11. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    I just can't stand people like this who automatically assume THAT I THINK Americans don't have any passion for sports....just as not as much as if there was only one truly devoted sport in the land. Chill...sue me if you're spoiled for choice. :cool:

I'm just saying that if you rolled up all the sports in the U.S. into one, then that's what its like for most derby games ...where the city, hell country, stops in a standstill for that week, where away crowds travel to fill up half of their rivals stadiums, where fans constantly antagonize and intimidate each other in home/away stadiums/on the streets/in restaurants/bars with chants, banners, flags, flares, etc, where people change their born name to their team, and where political/religious/class overtones inevitably get tied in to the rivalry that you just don't remember exactly why because its been such a long time since it all started...(and i haven't even mentioned when Members of Parliament brawl ...literally...over derby results!?!?... well it looks like i just did!!)

Its also not..."oh well...there's always the Patriots season to look foward to", or the local NBA/College Football/College Basketball/etc. etc." That's not putting all your eggs in one basket...that's diversifying your passion. Its all or nothing. Pardon me if i didn't clarify myself...

I'd even put it to you this way...you only got one family, and even if you love em or hate them, you stick by them always...if anyone ever disrespected your family, you would do anything...AND I MEAN ANYTHING-to resolve this. Some would go the civilized route....others would'nt. Are they both passionate, yes...do they have the same degree of passion...I'd argue no..but that's in the eye of the beholder i suppose. That's when derby matches enflame things that should probably be kept under wraps, but isn't....

...but hey, that's why Americans are civilized and the rest of the world aint, right?!? oh..but they both have passion...happy???

As you put it so succinctly .....*BLECH* :rolleyes:

12. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds like Boston in October to me.

As someone who went to game 5 of the 1986 World Series, and a die-hard Red Sox fan. . .

I find this entire conversation a bunch of bull**********. You want to go tell the thousands of screaming and teary-eyed Red Sox fans "oh your beating the Yankees tonight is nowhere as big as when Celtic beat Rangers in blahblahblahblahblah". Why? Because of the religious aspect? Ok, the rivalry maybe has more of a chance for violence, but that doesn't make it better.

Let's all just stop this pissing contest now. You can't compare the two, and it's unfair to both sports and cultures to try.

13. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I never got why so many BigSoccerites play this stupid game.

Why do they care what the mainstream designates as the best or the biggest? Why can't they just enjoy what they have? Why do they feel the need to knock sports that aren't soccer? Clearly, Yankees vs Red Sox is important to the people who follow it - let them be, I say.

14. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you can't play the equally asinine "How would MLS teams do in the EPL/the Championship/the Bundesliga/etc., etc." game all the time. Talk about trying to quantify the unquantifiable. And it's not even that interesting a question to argue over IMO - it just leads whoever argues about it around in circles without hope of escape, like a roundabout at rush hour.

Me, I say the biggest rivalry in the world is Metros-DC, to be renewed this weekend. Ok, it's far, far, from the biggest rivalry in the world, but it's certainly the one I care most about, and that's what should matter, right.

15. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Beano is getting OLD!!! I love watching him on ESPNews, not because he is so intelligent, but to hear the things he says. I have noticed interviewers like Brian Kerry and David Lloyd on 4 Quarters and The Hot List really ask him controversial questions to try and rile him up. It is hilarious. Does Beano have 6 or 7 chins? I can't quite decipher.

16. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Why are they more tame and relatively rare? Is because Yanks are less pasionate or other factors? My flip answer is that, yanks are smarter and more sophisticated. They're not a bunch of knuckle scrapers that beat their chests every time and howel every time they don't get their way (well... some politicians still do). I don't really think it's that simple though. Just as I don't think it's a sign of less passion.

17. Blue Eyed Soul

Blue Eyed Soul New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    I think if the question had been asked "What is the biggest rivalry in U.S. sports?", then yes, the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is the most heated and celebrated.

Tommy, however, gave an honest opinion/answer to the actual question, and he probably jarred some media types who have 'baseball, football, hockey and basketball-only' blinders on.