Tommy Redding..........Where have you gone?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Giggsy1986, Jan 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    One of the saddest stories I have seen in a while. Had PSG, Bayern, and others knocking down his door and he chose to stay in the comforts of his home.........Will we see him again?

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure you'll see him, playing Fornite or whatever video game he's into...

3. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lol, you said it..... We all thought it!

4. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Fortnite was good in 2017, now it’s filled with a bunch of 10 year olds with a John Wick skin building 1x1’s anytime there’s a gust of wind that threatens their failed attempt at a victory royale.

eliwood, gunnerfan7 and Giggsy1986 repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There was a rumor he was going to quit soccer to be a professional video game player.

He resurfaced at Columbus Crew preseason as a trialist following a season ending injury he suffered late last season.

6. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's honestly sad, he was at one point our best defensive prospect.

7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, you sure about that? He was a young starter on Orlando in the USL before they were an MLS team, and his PT fell off a cliff year after year. In the same class as CCV and EPB.

But maybe, I only start paying attention at the U17 level.

don Lamb and frankburgers repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sometimes prospects don't develop...................................

I mean.............he was on the 2017 U20 World Cup team. The other CBs on that team were Justen Glad, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Erik Palmer-Brown, and Auston Trusty. Those four all have USMNT callups. So that's a pretty good rate of return on a U20 cycle. We'll take 4 out of 5 any time.

We had another young CB prospect in that age group named Danny Barbir, who was chased by a bunch of big European teams. Trained at Man City's academy for a little while, and then signed his first contract at West Brom. Never developed. Somewhere on a reserve team in Romania right now.

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/towering-teen-danny-barbir-lands-at-west-brom

9. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, between the ages of 15-18 he was our center back that was being chased by Bayern and PSG

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Redding was certainly really good at a young age. Most of the discussion around the (failed) 2013 U-17 cycle centered around Rubio Rubin and Junior Flores, but Redding was also on that team, and starting playing up a year. Justen Glad, on the same team, was not as good at the time nor considered a better prospect. EPB was a fringe roster player on that team. I don't doubt the Bayern and PSG interest.

He signed with Orlando, and I thought he did a respectable job. Not every young player is going to be great against professionals right away. He had some good games, and some bad games. In total, he held his own for a couple of years of rotation minutes. No one would criticize that if it was an low-paid and low-pedigree player on their favorite. When its someone who was considered better than players like EPB and Glad at 14-15, that player is going to get unfair criticism.

I thought we saw that Redding's game didn't translate as well to the pros as those other two CB's. Redding was a decent passer, read the game well and defended well. I don't think he ever looked like the most spectacular talent in these youth teams, but he was very dependable and put in a lot of performances that added up to the perception of him.

Once he got into the pro game (mostly MLS), his lack of fluidity in athleticism was evident. He moved at an above-average level, but his turns, his small space quickness, his ability to evade pressure was not good. The lack of fluidity was also evident in his aerial game. He struggled in that aspect of the game, along with not being that tall of a CB (only 6'0-6'1) and struggling due to not having the weight to deal with stronger CF's. His ability to read the game that was so good at youth level also wasn't as good, although I think this was something that should've improved with more reps. He still was one of the youngest players in every game he played.

I think its a mistake to compare him to Barbir. Barbir was never close to as good as Redding was. Barbir was a "name" as opposed to Redding who was a very good prospect at one time. Even though at the beginning of last season it was clear that Redding wasn't as good of a prospect as EPB, Glad (and probably also CCV), he could've still carved out a good career and maybe gotten some NT call ups. He had a rough start at NYRB, and then was banished to the reserves before suffering a season ending injury. Unless he's lost all his talent in the last year, I think he's still a relevant talent, but there have been rumors that he doesn't have interest in playing the sport professionally anymore.

Eleven Bravo and butters59 repped this.
  11. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Redding never looked like a MLS player. probably a large reason why he isnt playing soccer now.

LOL at "comforts of home" he played 38 times for a bad orlando team, he never looked good. he might have other passions outside of soccer, but that doesn't negate the fact he isnt a good player.

12. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    God you're a dumb ass. He chose to sign a homegrown deal with Orlando instead of moving to PSG, Monaco, or Bayern who all had made offers.

So yes, he chose to stay home in Orlando where he was from instead of push himself at the highest stage.

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heated arguments over Tommy Redding is peak BigSoccer

ChrisSSBB, russ, AutoPenalti and 4 others repped this.
  14. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    @ mods. Name calling!! Tsk tsk.

He’d wash out any of those clubs too. Bc he’s not very good! Hope this clears it up for you.

don Lamb repped this.
  15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Isn't this thread in the wrong forum? I mean, Redding never even got a single cap at senior level.

frankburgers and xbhaskarx repped this.