Tom Sermanni is the Power's new head coach

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FearM9, Sep 4, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Former Women’s Australian National Team Leader and San Jose Assistant To Head Power in 2003

New York Power general manager Susan Marenoff announced today that Tom Sermanni, former women’s Australian National Team coach as the team’s new head coach for the 2003 season.

Sermanni most recently spent the past two seasons as an assistant with the San Jose CyberRays. Besides helping to coach the Cyberrays to a championship in 2001, Sermanni joins the Power with a wealth of international soccer experience.

“Tom brings with him an abundance of international and domestic soccer experience and has had success on many different levels, “ said Marenoff. “We look forward to him leading this team in the right direction, and that is back to the playoffs.”

Sermanni coached the Australian women's national team from 1994 through 1996 with a record of 13-16-3. His 1995 team qualified for and played in the 1995 Women's World Cup in Sweden. Prior to joining the CyberRays in 2000, Sermanni coached the Canberra (Australia) Cosmos of the men's National Soccer League.

“I am delighted to be given this opportunity by the Power to become a head coach in the WUSA and in New York especially,” said Sermanni. “I look forward to the challenges in the season ahead.”

A native of Scotland, he played for Albion and Dunfermline in that country and for Blackpool and Torquay United in the English league. After retiring as a player, Sermanni spent two years as

coach of San Frecce Hiroshima in Japan. In 1992 he coached Sydney Olympic in Australia and also spent two years as a coach at the Australian Institute of Sport.

Born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1954, he is married to Alison Sermanni, both are dual citizens of England and Australia.

2. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    It's sad to see Tommy go but I think we all aren't too suprised to hear this. Hopefully he will able to bring some success to the Power.

Who is going to replace him?

3. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    There's speculation that Di Alagich will follow him to the Big Apple.

Any idea how credible that is?

4. SoCcErHyPeR 2

SoCcErHyPeR 2 New Member

Aug 6, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    yep yep.. sad to see my buddy Tommy go.. I'll miss him. I found out about this yesterday. :( I wish we would have just fired Ian (lol) and kept Tommy and put him as head coach.. but noo.. I hope Di doesn't go with him.. but if she does my two fave wusa players will be on the same team (lol.. Ronnie and Di)

5. vivy09

vivy09 New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    first of all Congratulations to Tom for being appointed head coach.

next.....i agree with soccerhyber though - fire ian :p - bring Tom back and he be head coach of the cyerrays, yay!! hehehe

I being an aussie - is glad to see Di continue to fly the flag for us in pro women's soccer, after Muzza, so in that sense, it will still b good if Di follows him to NY to keep the aussie interest going in the WUSA, but sad cause they will be leaving SJ...my fave team :(

oh well...im sad to see Tom go...lets hope Di doesnt follow...then gain, i would at least be more clear my 2nd fave team will b if she does hehe.

GO AUSSIE!!!

6. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    I hadn't even thought of Di leaving but it does seem very possible now that it's been brought up. If Ian continues to bench her, then it would be best for her to go, get more PT and continue to play under Tom. As long as she's happy and we have 4 solid foreigners!

7. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    So, if Di's bound for the Power, who comes to San Jose in the trade? Any guesses?

8. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Look at us speculate about Di's future, and the ink on Tommy's contract with the Power hasn't even dried yet!

Di going to NY was the third thing I thought of when I heard that Tommy was going to NY, however, right after: 1. "Yeah, way to go Tommy!", and 2. "This sucks for the 'Rays". When I told two friends of mine their immediate response was the same: "I wonder if this means Di will go to NY?" Di would be a much-needed upgrade for NY's defense for sure, and since NY might be doing a housecleaning of most of their internationals after this season (I don't think Rapp, Ormen, and Mustonnen were quite the help it was originally thought they'd be, and who knows if Gao will continue to play or not), they'll have a roster spot for Di. Obviously the 'Rays have a ton of quality defenders, so while as fans we would definitely miss Di, our D might not really suffer much, if at all. That also clears an international spot for us to look for a forward to party with Katia. On a personal level I definitely don't want to lose Di but on a business/personnel level I can see that setting up a good trade for her makes sense.

What NY could/would give us beyond draft picks I have no idea. I can't think of a Di-caliber player that they have that they'd be willing to trade that would do us any good. Maybe we get a package deal? I still wish they'd just send us Milbrett but I wish I had a million dollars, too, and neither one is going to just happen! ;)

On a totally pointless and silly note, if Di gets traded, no one is going to want to room with Boof anymore, since her roomies keep getting traded :rolleyes: : first Amy Walsh, then Cookie, now we're all trying to trade Di...

9. vivy09

vivy09 New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    yeah its true, we shouldn't be speculating about Di's future, its her life and whatever she decides, we shold be happy for her.
    of course we are sad seeing Tom go and even more so if Di follows but Tom totally desvers to be a head coach at any of the WUSA teams, as much as we would love to have him as head coach of the cyberrays, at least he now gets a chance to do so but with NY instead. so onace again, Congratulations to Tom.

on the topic of finding players to partner katia or brining in other foregin players, i say they shouldd scout the women's english clubs - especially Fullham FC, many people have said that this team can beat any WUSA team...i dont know about that :p but it could be possible. Also, Arsenal Ladies FC is another good place for good players.

Being the aussie that Iam a few players play in the W-League. the ones which I say are worth scouting are -
    Kelly Golebiowski (Hampton Roads Piranhas)
    Cheryl Salisbury (Memphis Mercury - who the cyberrays played an exhibition match against)

In england:
    Kristy Moore (Fullham FC)

In Australia:
    Heather Garriock (NSW Sapphires - team which Muzza comes from) though she is a midfeilder, shes a kick ass player

Sunni Huges - she played witht eh Arizona Heatwav in 2001, dont know where she is now...most likely back home with the current Matildas training camp, getting ready for the upcoming US Nike Up.

all aussie players are all forwards, with exception of Garriock...and are all kick ass players :D

sorry about the bias of aussie players but thats where most my knowledge is held...

GO AUSSIE!!!

10. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Package Alagich, Dorn, & the 1st- and 2nd-round picks for NY's # 1. SJ get Aly Wagner, & NY can rebuild their defense.