Tom Sermanni fired - discuss

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Blaze20, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But for the most part, that wasn't the case. I still didn't like Sermanni during most of his time as the Matildas coach. Even the tail end of his career with the Matildas didn't affect my final judgement of him. Now I have closure.

2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I can't say I disagree with that.

exref repped this.
  3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It could be a lot of things. Throwing baseless sexual misconduct charges around is pretty horrific.

EbaJones, taosjohn, Calci0 and 1 other person repped this.
  4. PStevenson1082

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You can't say that this team under Sermanni can beat Sweden or Japan right now. Whether people like or not, our WNT is the diamond standard and all soccer countries would love to have a women's team like ours. A footballing country would have done the same. The players(semi-confirmed by a twitter source????) have said the chemistry and his tactics aren't right and besides the injuries, the team's form is a little off.

Unfortunately, it's that serious....

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Which has nothing to do with nothing. You really need to stop posting.

cleansheetbsc and jackiesdad repped this.
  6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    You can't deny that Gulati made a "Knee-Jerk" reaction then, if it wasn't for something "off the field".
    Sunday night, just after a victory. Not exactly great timing.

Today is the day of rest, not the day of beheading.

7. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Which they won in 2009.
    Which they won in 2010.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I can deny that. Did you read the press release. Apparently this has been something that has been building.

Morris20 repped this.
  10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    You forgot Hope Powell.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Did you just say Bini?? Was that a joke??

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Of course they're gonna hide some details, and put some spin on it as to the reason why so sudden.
    It's not like they're going to divulge everything that has happened.
    Don't believe everything the media says.

GambitSWE repped this.
  13. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The timing of this is wrong. It's just wrong. The USSF seriously can't be firing a coach on the same day of a 2-0 win and days before another game. Something must have happened that warranted an immediate dismissal. If not . . . Why couldn't they wait for another 5 days?

I seriously hope the players aren't behind this, we can't have a coach come into this team and be afraid to try new things. What about the new players or the players who didn't have anything to do with this? What signal does this send?

This just feels wrong and slimy and greedy and I almost hope something that requires immediate and unconditional termination happened.

If not, Gulati might be out of the job real soon for his handling of this.

I'm rambling. This just is not right. I think we've hit the tip of the iceberg with this.

SiberianThunderT, Namdynamo and sitruc repped this.
  14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It must be a pretty horrible world you've built for yourself where you immediately assume everything you're told is a lie.

SiberianThunderT, JanBalk and taosjohn repped this.
  15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Out of that list, you thought Bini was the joke? I was going to add Maradona and Dunga.

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    When it happens on a Sunday night (the day of REST), this is "unprecedented timing", for any firing (especially for a women's soccer team's coach).

Why not wait until after the next China game (Thursday), if this was gradually building?
    Why the urgent dismissal on a Sunday night, in between the two-leg series against China?

17. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maradona? I don't want some coke addict coaching this team, I hope that was a joke...

18. jigsawill

jigsawill Member

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thought this was a joke thread when I first read it.

TeaDrinkerful and Morris20 repped this.
  19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's my biggest concern, too. The players - and their sponsors - have definitely interfered with the USWNT in the past. But it's just a concern, I'm not convinced that's what has happened. How the team plays - and who plays (and how much) - moving forward should answer this question.

No chance in hell. The USWNT is basically invisible in the grand scheme of things these days. This isn't 1999.

At least you're somewhat rational and not potentially libelous.

Sometimes a firing is just a firing. While out of character in women's soccer circles, coaches all the world around get axed every day. Maybe this is just part of the growing up process for parts of the USWNT fanbase.

sitruc repped this.
  20. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a difference between assuming everything is a lie and taking everything with a grain of salt. I do the same thing.

While WPS is way out of line with sexual accusations, his base argument that we aren't being told everything and this has all the hallmarks of a "knee-jerk" reaction is a reasonable theory.

GambitSWE and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  21. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And which they both will win again if they are up to form. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have nothing against Norio Sasaki and Nadeshiko Japan, but...let the Matildas make a habit of winning the top prizes in the region, too, onegai shimasu.

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was the old guard who went to the Fed and got Sermanni fired.

Sermanni brought in a lot of new kids and maybe the old guard who feel they are entitled to the National Team got scared that a bunch of new kids were taking their spots.

The USWNT is becoming a joke and the Prima Donna's on this team who are also demanding where they want to play or not want to play in the NWSL and are also a joke as well.

I hope Jill Ellis is not made the coach of this team. It would add on to the joke.

SOCCERMARINE, sXeWesley, Telstar and 7 others repped this.
  23. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    WOSO has been way too dramatic this week between the questionable NWSL trades and now TS firing.

Sheesh, tensions must have really mounted since Algarve and this camp must not have helped TS cause in US Soccers eyes. I smell player revolt on this one...To much change and not enough urgency.

24. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Exactly. Some people on here aren't very good detectives at all with their innate abilities to track down what is the root cause for events that lead to only the aftermath that they hear about.

25. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I read a recent article and Alex Morgan mentioned that the team wasnt happy with the constantly changing team formations. This pot has been brewing for a while. Some players like K. Mewis may also suffer as collateral damage since they received more playing time under Sermanni. Ohai has got to be liking her chances now of getting a call up.