Tom Sermanni fired - discuss

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Blaze20, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I do not know about you but Barnhart is at the top of my list. She could not have been happy with not getting called into the last two camps

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Interesting theory. Perfect.

Player who rarely starts under four coaches gets current one fired....

3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Was the sarcasm in my post too subtle....

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    :)

5. John Connors

John Connors New Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Hardly slander. Just reading between the lines of Rampone's quote from Sports Equalizer. Apart from the Algarve Cup in 2014 they had been winning matches. All of a sudden.....he's gone.

But if you prefer to believe that the team had no input into Sermanni's sacking despite Gulati stating that their opinions were sought...

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    You don't have a shred of evidence he was fired because of any player revolt.

AndyMead repped this.
  7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I don't believe Gulati actually said that did he?

[/quote]"We had discussions with players, with staff, with people around the team and observed ourselves," he said. "This isn't a group of players coming to seek us out and saying 'there's something wrong, we need to do something.' That's not what was the underlying issue here."[/quote]

That sounds more like "We asked people including players what had been going on around the team" than "We asked players if they wanted a coaching change."

8. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :rolleyes:

Key Veteran.

If you ever played sports a day in your life, it takes one team leader to spread the cancer through the locker room. It's not any player knocking on his office door, the flies on the walls passing information to him.

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I have been in plenty of locker rooms as a player, team captain, and coach.

Show the evidence for anybody.

Anybody.

AndyMead repped this.
  10. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I find interesting is that in one of Wambach's interviews (I believe the ESPN one with Foudy) she says they need a coach who can "blend the old with the new". :confused: Is that not what Sermanni was doing?

11. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Well I am just guessing here, but Tom seem to have had a very hands-off approach so he may just have put them on the same team and left it to the players to blend. It may be that she wants a coach that actively helps that to happen.

sisterluke and skybolt repped this.
  12. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    He did exactly that so I'm pretty confused about it too.

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I'm a little confused that Sermani appointed an assistant on March 24 and pushed Jill Ellis aside 13 days before he was fired and nobody thinks that might have been a factor.

The technical director it Jill's best friend April.

14. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    If Gus Gustavsson (or someone other than Jill) is selected as coach, I sincerely hope that Jill's influence on the national team will be marginalized until after the WC. I'm not saying that Jill had a hand in undermining Tom Sermanni, but the perception of having more than one influential person running the group could have a negative impact on team chemistry.

Morris20 repped this.
  15. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Are you saying that he didn't actively help that to happen? I don't buy into that. I feel like his "hands-off approach" as you called it is becoming some kind of urban myth. Yes, he is laid-back but IMO he never "just put them on the same team and left it to the players to blend". I don't see how he could be such a successful coach in the past if this was his approach. I don't see how any coach could be successful with this kind of coaching. Yes, USSF wanted something else and they fired him but saying these kind of things about Sermanni honestly is kind of insulting.

16. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Good point. I never thought about this. That makes me even more worried that Jill Ellis might be the new coach.

South American and Morris20 repped this.
  17. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    the picture is getting clearer everyday!

18. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Add to that Sermanni's statement about having made a mistake by not bringing in his own coaching staff from the start, and the picture becomes even clearer.

South American repped this.
  19. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    #844 Romario'sgurl, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014

Was wondering when someone was going to point this out.....

So, Jill gets the job officially in May, right? :coffee:

Ace38 repped this.
  20. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    It may be a lot simpler than that. In 2013 Wambach had 12 starts in 14 games and 70 minutes a game. In 2014 she was 4 starts in 9 games and 50 minutes.

Namdynamo and John Connors repped this.
  21. John Connors

John Connors New Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    No. But what is the evidence, besides a very political statement by Gulati, that the players weren't involved?

The quickest way for a manager, at any level, to lose their job is through 'Losing the Dressing Room'.

22. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Not to mention decreased pays due to decreased starts and games played.

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm

Actually "losing the owner" is usually quicker...

Morris20 repped this.
  24. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Not to change the current conversation, but does anyone have an idea what the minimum salary is for a NT player with a contract? For instance, does a rookie like Dunn now be entitled to receive a similar salary as someone like Lloyd (within 10%), or are we talking much less money? I can certainly understand the need for contracts, but a young player just coming out of college and trying to make a name for herself would happily sign for a much smaller amount just to make the NT. That way the USSF will be able to take a chance on bringing to camp and signing 6 or 7 additional players with the same amount required to sign a few veterans.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The single most important thing in a good conspiracy theory is no evidence.