Tom Fox Podcast

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by asdf2, May 30, 2019.

1. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    mjlee22 repped this.
  2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the moderators could move this to the Tom Fox thread?

That was indeed an interesting interview. These are my takes on it (from memory, as I was driving, so i couldn't take notes):
    • With quite the peripatetic career, Fox admits that he tends to get jobs for which he is not really qualified.
      • He seems to prefer to always be in learning mode.
      • He was a polisci major and had never taken a mktg class, so he learned on the job
    • Aside from his first 2 jobs, and the Arsenal job, he's been changing jobs every 1.5-2 years.
      • To me, that's not really enough time to make a difference. I predict he'll do the same thing here.
      • I don't recall his referencing any accomplishments other than climbing the ladder Gatorade > NBA > Nike > Arsenal > Aston Villa > Quakes
    • For a marketing guy, he seems to be very analytic and really likes to cite numbers.
      • Now I understand why last year, he was imprudent enough to tell us that the Quakes were 7th in ticket revenue.
    • Fox analyzes the market a lot and seems to cite excuses fairly often, such as
      • hard for Quakes to be relevant in the bay area, i.e. compete with Warriors, Stanford, and Cal (I didn't notice if he cited 49ers & MLB)
      • a legacy MLS club doesn't have the advantages of a new MLS expansion team that can target young urbans instead of soccer moms
    • The only thing he really seemed to be positive about at the Quakes was the Development Academy and that, since a bunch of them get to train with the 1st team, they are learning directly from Almeyda
    • Basically, i came away from this pod thinking that Tom Fox is not the kind of guy to create visions or objectives for the club. Based on what we've seen so far, he doesn't seem to be much of a problem-solver either.

DasMoots repped this.
  3. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @asdf2, how did you find this pod in the first place? Just curious... :)

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Tom Fox had his introductory press conference with the Quakes the first week of June 2017. If he's leaving the Quakes within two years, that means next week. :)

asdf2, DasMoots and mjlee22 repped this.
  5. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, then he's already surpassed his average tenure-length.

I forgot to add 2 more things he said during the pod:
    • He had only attended 2 live soccer matches in his life before taking the marketing job at Arsenal
    • He pontificated on how the EPL is currently the top league in the world, but that could easily change, that MLS or any other league could easily take over the top spot. He gave Italy as an example of how they were the top league, and then suddenly weren't, for which they were still scratching their heads to figure out why. I guess he doesn't know that the Serie A collapsed after all the match fixing and other scandals, followed by sanctions, which led to the league being unable to pay top salaries.

Scott Rohde repped this.
  6. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Good question. I saw a Tweet from Andy Dolich who was the interviewee. Ex A’s GM and an experienced sports biz executive.

mjlee22 repped this.
  7. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    That’s a pretty good summary of the interview.

As for getting jobs he was under qualified for, I think that was just him being humble, or faux humble at worst.

Agreed the lack of accomplishments was startling.

He was at Pepsi for 8 years and Arsenal for 5 per his LinkedIn profile. I think it just sounded like he changed jobs more often when rattling through it all quickly in an interview.

mjlee22 repped this.
  8. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Lack of mentioned accomplishments to be fair.

9. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I think the Serie A fall off had a lot to do with the weakness of the Italian economy, the fall off in Italian talent and the lack of stadium investment so that many if the games have crappy atmospheres in TV and supposedly in person too.

10. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I think this quote nails it:

• Basically, i came away from this pod thinking that Tom Fox is not the kind of guy to create visions or objectives for the club. Based on what we've seen so far, he doesn't seem to be much of a problem-solver either.”

On balance, I was unimpressed with Fox from the interview. I would not have ever said that about Dave Kaval.

mjlee22 repped this.
  11. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    That said, I’m rooting for him to succeed. To fill the stands, to get a kit and stadium sponsor, to get us more media coverage and so on.