Tom Fitzgerald killed in motorcycle accident

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by GersMan, Dec 4, 2004.

1. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
  2. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very sad news indeed.... Deepest sympathies to his family and friends

3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible news. My heart goes out to the family.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is truely sad and tragic news and it really casts a pall over the NCAA Tournament and puts the quarterfinal losses in perspective.

My condolences and prayers go to the Fitzgerald family and their friends.

Most people think of Fitzgerald from his days with the Crew and while he didn't ever win a championship there, he built solid, competitive teams that made the playoffs his first four seasons only to have the misfortune of running into United's dynasty three of them. He also coached the Crew to the 98 Open Cup final, losing in OT, on the road, to the Fire's double-winning team.

But where Fitzgerald was among the best was as a college coach. He is one of three men all-time to have won NCAA men's soccer titles at the Division-I and D-II levels.

Fitzgerald won his D-II title at Tampa in 94 and the D-I title, of course, at UCLA in 2002.

The other two men to have done this feat are Ray Reid, who won D-II titles at Southern Connecticut State in 92 and 95 and the D-I title at UConn in 2000. And, the legendary Bob Guelker, who won five D-I titles at Saint Louis (59, 60, 62, 63, 65) then won a D-II title at Southern Illinois-Edwardsville in 1972 then, after the moved up, won a D-I title with SIU-Edwardsville in 79.

(SIU-Edwardsville has since dropped back down to D-II and is playing in the final tomorrow.)

So, Fitzgerald is in very good company and he will be missed in the college community, which has lost one of its best coaches.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coach Fitzgerald was a gentleman of the first rank, and win or lose he was always gracious and accessible.

God Bless and keep.

6. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    RIP. This news made me ill.

I thought Tom Fitzgerald did a fine job coaching at UCLA, but I just got the impression from listening to him being interviewed that he was an even better person. He left UCLA to be closer to his grandchildren in Florida. IIRC, Fitz recently recommended Eddie Ababio to the National team program, so was still helping find players for the USSF. He will be missed on and off the sidelines.

7. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    In 2002 when my Terps lost to UCLA in the semifinal of College Cup I happen to be staying at the same hotel as the UCLA team. Tom Fitzgerald and his team were so classy and polite throughout that it made the bitter pillow a little easy to swallow knowing we had lost to some good people. I'm sure he set the tone for all the teams he headed and is a terrible lost to the soccer community as well as those close to him, RIP Tom.

8. Wildcard

Wildcard New Member

Jul 4, 2004
    US
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Tom Fitzgerald coached at Columbus in the new MLS. He was on a TV show teaching youth soccer players some fundamentals on scoring more goals. This short training clip was so positive and enthusiastic that it heavily influenced my then young son's passion for the game. My son now plays in NCAA DII and was excited that Coach Fitzgerald had returned to Tampa. He had hoped to play Tampa in the next couple of years just so he could meet and shake the hand of a coach who he admired so much. Our thoughts go out to Coach Fitzgerald's family, his team, and the University of Tampa.

c/o Jon Williams
    Soph. Lincoln Memorial University

9. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    What a terrible tragedy for the Fitgerald Family. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

10. Kubby

Kubby Member

Apr 28, 2004
    I'm really surprised an "adult" would ride around on a motorcycle ... Most professional athletes have contracts that disallow this type of transportation due to the high-risk involved (i.e. Jason Williams formerly of Duke with the Chicago Bulls) ... Hate to hear this news, but if you're going to "play around" with the odds, sometimes they'll catch up with you!

11. Kubby

Kubby Member

Apr 28, 2004
    That being said, my prayers are with his family and friends at this time.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What an ignorant, misinformed and callous statement.

There are over six and a half MILLION motorcycles registered in the United States http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/newsandupdates/rtwday04/ and almost all of them are ridden by adults.

Most of them are ridden safely and without fatalities. Further, while there are irresonpisible "biker boyzz" who are in it to thrill seek and break the law, most motorycycles are riden by law-abiding adults. And, aside from the thrill-seekers, most motorcycle accidents are the result of riders being hit by car and truck drivers, as was the case in Fitzgerald's death.

Further, while Fitzgerald worked in sports, he wasn't in a position where he needed his body to do his job and he had no contractual prohibitions as a coach that kept him from riding. He rode because he was a grown-ass man and wanted to be on a bike. He was doing nothing wrong or irresponsible by getting on the bike.

And, even if he had, are you saying he deserved to die because he rode a motorcycle? Even if you feel that way, which is in itself a despicible and heartless point of view, though one you are certainly entitled too, is that opinion really appropriate in a forum where people are mourning someone's death and passing on words of praise for his life and prayers and condolences in his death?

I mean, would you go to someone's funeral who had died in a similar type of accident and announced to the mourners that the deceased had it coming?

Think before you post.

13. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Unbelievable!! What on earth would motivate you to make such a ridiculous and stunning statement? You clearly suffer from a complete lack of intelligence and sensitivity. What a jerk.

14. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    This is indeed very sad news. Tom Fitzgerald was a class act, and you could feel that positive influence on the young men he coached. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

15. Sammys

Sammys New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Virginia
    This is very sad news.Condolences to Tom Fitzgeralds family on their loss.

16. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    [​IMG]

17. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    There's a time and place for this type of discusion. This is NOT the time nor the place.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, your an amature.

19. imegu

imegu New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    yes this is a sad day for florida soccer. not only was fitz a great coach but he was also a great mentor to many future coaches. I never played for him but i knew many that did and none of them never had nothing but wonderful things to say about him he will be missed

20. rhydogg

rhydogg New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    West Coast
    All i got to say is "WOW"...u must b only 10 years old

21. outofbounds

outofbounds New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Kubby- Are you an a$$???? You stupid redneck- what kind of comment are these about one of our countries better coaches???

22. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Okay, enough piling on already.....everyone's thoughts and prayers should be with the Fitzgerald family at this time and this thread should move back to that topic.