Tokyo Olympics: USWNT vs Sweden, July 21, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jul 17, 2021.

1. winster

winster Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously...the US should at least send a B team to Algarve. Although, as we all know, the contract with the USWNT players union makes calling up a B team difficult.

Most of the potential future USWNT teamers don't have any significant experience traveling and playing overseas. It would be a good learning experience. Even if they were youth team regulars, they probably only played overseas a few times.

In fact not playing games overseas probably harms the potential of the current USWNT players as well. The team looked jetlagged against Sweden. They're experienced enough that shouldn't be an issue and obviously they've played overseas a few times in the past year, but still....I wonder.

jnielsen repped this.
  2. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is odd because apparently they had been in Japan for at least 1.5 weeks acclimating to the weather. My initial thoughts were food poisoning, a long drinking bender or some combination of the two.

3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    It's amazing how we can all watch the same thing and see it so differently. I don't think this team is too "nice." I don't even think they are nice at all (except to each other).

I do agree that the age is a problem, no matter what their fitness levels. Rapinoe just can't do a lot of things a top team needs its wingers to do.

I also agree that having 3 players whose minutes are limited is a problem. I wouldn't have said team speed was a problem, but quickness in the midfield isn't great.

The simple offensive philosophy that has worked for so long looked increasingly stale in the friendlies, and now looks anachronistic. Not being able to dominate possession in the midfield seems like an achilles heel against top teams.

But mostly, the whole discussion seems moot because we have a bunch of players who have contracts with USSF. How can that NOT get in the way of player selection, and otherwise undermine the coach (or restrict his options)?

Namdynamo, jnielsen and kolabear repped this.
  4. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame that Japanese prayer/blessing service the USWNT attended; it was more of a curse.

5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Definitely!

jnielsen repped this.
  6. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    It's always something. I cant remember the exact reason but I think people also complaint when we went to the Algarve regularly.
    Btw, check the competition at the Algarve, it has not been that good since we quit. Definitely not as good as the She believes cup.

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think most "complaints" about the US going to the Algrave was about the fact that it was not covered, at that time, much on US TV. That is not the case now I believe.
    Also, from the people I worked with there was a good deal of misunderstanding about the way it was structured. The multiple tiers that did not play each other much was not well understood at all. It was confusing for many, particularly that there were no knockout rounds, and that a team from group "C" could never play for the championship even if that team won every game they played.

Now I do not really think that the "confusion" would matter because soccer people can understand it and TV commentators actually explain it better.

I believe the real reason for having the "She Believes cup" instead of going to the Algrave is money. We make money by hosting our own tournament but we make a good deal less by traveling to the Algrave.

What we really need to get more and better matches is to get CONCACAF women's teams to be better and, if at all possible, get a tournament like the Euros by combining CONCACAF and CONMEBOL for one women's tournament a year. I do not mean actually combine the two into one for the single tournament. That ournament could actually be run at the same time as the Euros and thereby hit a FIFA window so overseas players must be released.

The two federations would benefit by greater exposure and better competition. The tournaments could be separated when the women's teams have gained enough quality to have two decent tournaments involving just their federations.

But none of that will happen because it simply would mean that the "powers" in each group would have to give up a bit of their power and no upholstered parasite ever gives up power once they have it.

JanBalk repped this.
  8. CookieRules

CookieRules Member

N/a
    United States
    Jul 1, 2021
    U23 doesnt have their own tournament. U17 and u20 have their own youth world cups. U23 is the only level wasting away doing nothing. Why cant we send them to algarve.

Namdynamo and jnielsen repped this.
  9. CookieRules

CookieRules Member

N/a
    United States
    Jul 1, 2021
    And if we lose at the algarve with our u23 team it will not affect our almighty fifa world rank. Its perfect. Send them.

10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Yep a major tournament for the U23s.

11. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not very nice.:)

kolabear repped this.
  12. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    no, not up his rear at all. Without knowing what he’s like behind closed doors under pressure, it’s hard to tell what he’s like. To me, he seems like a players coach - exactly what these ladies like… So they can run the show.

13. dawgster

dawgster New Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Excuse me, but maybe you should have tracked back: it was incorrectly stated that the Swedes don't celebrate like ugly Americans. Did I say at any time that I thought celebrations by our team are in good taste? Nope.

It was observed that the celebrations by both the players and fans after the England-Denmark were pretty ugly. But life has a way of taking care of these things since Italy won the Euros over England.

The quality of celebrations by the USWNT may catch up to them this time as well.

14. Essex

Essex Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    IMO this has nothing do do with confidence. You don't see Man City, who should be full of confidence, celebrating like that if they beat a Sunday League team.

The behaviour of many England fans were despicable, but when did the England players have "ugly" celebrations? If I am not mistaken they have been commended by the press for being the nicest England squad for a long time.

15. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? What has MCWFC won on the international stage?

16. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    hahah I correctly stated there are cultural differences between the US and Sweden, where boasting is frowned on, bragging is frowned on. This isn’t my concept, it’s been well documented and written about.
    I never said Swedes don’t celebrate, but pointed out an over-the-top celebration is less likely. I never said one type of celebration was better either. I love how US women celebrate. I also like how the ice cold Swedes celebrate, but I’m also Swedish-American.

JanBalk and West Ender repped this.
  17. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why can’t the Olympics be a U23 competition? It is for the men, it should be for the women as well.

I’ve proffered this suggestion long ago, perhaps I even mentioned it somewhere in this forum, and it was not popular. It seems that most are against it.

The idea should be revisited. It would be an added layer of incentive for the youngsters, in all countries, and help development.

18. Essex

Essex Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was talking about the men's Man City.

19. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    It isn't for the men either. The qualification is U23, I think, but the actuall Olympic tournamnet is something else. Neither U23 nor any other normal form, pretty much an unique custom built variation.

The reason that the Men do not have full senior MNT is that FIFA thinks it would decrease the weight of the MWC.
    The same will happen on the womens side when FIFA think that WWC is enough of a moneymaker that securying it's dominance is more important than growing WoSo, but not before that. Full WNT draws better than U23.

20. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Disagree, neither should be U23. It’s ridiculous FIFA is so powerful they handcuff Olympic rules. There are zero other sports with age restrictions like this. And lots of other sports’ leagues are in season in the summer.

West Ender and blissett repped this.
  21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I find it ironic that the excuse used when they fired Sermanni is that he "lost the Algarve Cup". We always lost the Algarve Cup - until the player strike and modern CBA format of 2001/2002 that basically enshrined the "chosen" group of players. Prior to that we used tournaments like the Algarve Cup and the (China) Four Nations Tournament the same way every other team uses them - as a place to trial new players and tactics.

Then we started sending our first choice players and playing them. I still remember April Heinrichs taking 4 scrubs to China for the 4NT and getting them a grand total of 7 minutes combined in 3 games and claiming how great it was for their development to "be on the bench" in that atmosphere. Like, what the actual fresh hell?

22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Our USSF would be the first ones against it. Remember, the USSF pays the salaries of our NT players, so they’ll need at least two prestigious titles(rather than wait every 4 years) to keep interests going. Might be outdated figure but last time I’ve read the budget for the USWNT is around $18 million. So constant touring is essential to making that money back. This is partly why they established the She Believes Cup)a big money maker for them, it average game draws 20-30K crowds for them. Before that, if it was not an WC/Olympic year, crowds would diminish to as low as under 5K(so probably take a loss in gate receipt vs stadium rental)
    not sure how our U23 squad would do; while we have an hefty 39K playing college soccer, their active seasons only last 2-3 months & then some summer stock in those lower divisions that last a full 6 weeks

Meantime a lot of the top youth in Europe start playing pro around 17-18 years old
    In their respective countries top/1st division leagues & play a 9 months full season

23. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Currently squads for the men's tournament are required to be composed of players under 23 years of age, with three permitted exceptions

jnielsen repped this.
  24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Which makes the men's tournament virtually meaningless as it is not U23 nor is it full national teams so it really counts for nothing.

I wish FIFA would simply not be so greedy and make both men's and women's full national teams and make the Olympics a FIFA "window" so the greedy club teams will be required to release players.

FIFA greed plus club greed equals meaningless tournaments.

Of course an Olympic gold is not meaningless for the participants but it is as far as international football is concerned.
    It is fun, mostly, to watch but it would be so much more if world rankings were also impacted because that would mean that teams would be much more likely to send their best.

JanBalk repped this.
  25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    In the fully pro era of the Olympic Games it shows the balance of power between FIFA and the IOC. The IOC gets a sprinkling of established stars to sell tickets and TV rights (Football is the big driver internationally) and FIFA protects the primacy of its World Cup. At the time the pros were added for the men and the Olympic Games added the Women's Football Tournament in 1996, there had only been one Women's World Cup (they still hadn't ret-conned the 1991 tournament into a "World Cup" at that point). And nobody really expected any interest in the women's tournament, so differentiating between U23s and full national teams wasn't a threat to FIFA, and FIFA could just let the IOC have full squads.