Todd Smith Resigns (Revs News 9/7)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Rev-eler, Sep 7, 2002.

1. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so find a guy that wants Steve Nicol as his coach. He has a better record then FC. He's led the team to a great stretch and I see more in the future. Just think, Steve got some guys he wanted (Griffiths, Kante) and look what happened. FC got the guys he wanted (Diallo and Chacon). I rest my case, hold the applause.

2. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    You kidding me? Sunil Gulati wouldn't move to this area even if threatened with the loss of multiple digits, joints or limbs or while staring down the barrel of a Colt Python.

My guess is that is that Gulati will be moving on soon, too, and that someone from the USSF family - Dave Sarachan or, to a much lesser degree, Glenn 'Mooch' Myernick - will be the next to take up residence in Foxboro.

FWIW, I'd like to wish Todd all the best going forward. God dealt him a crappy hand (albeit temporarily it seems), but the man has fought through it like George S. Patton in the face of the Nazis. Even when he could have been at his worst, I never saw it because he always had a smile on his face. I wish him nothing but the best in life.

rkupp: You hit the nail right on the head, bro. Not only do they have a scoreboard inside the stadium, there's one in each associate's personnel file.

3. soren_k

soren_k New Member

Oct 28, 2001
    I don't know, did you read the FDA's piece in the Globe this morning? He has Sonny Kraft praising Nicol saying, among other things, that the last 4 games are the best the REvolution have ever played.

If the Krafts want him here, he'll stay.

4. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Here are some comments from Twellman about Nicol courtesy of Chris Berman at Planetfootball. Twellman, not surprisingly, seems pretty pro-Nicol.

5. redondo10

redondo10 New Member

Apr 17, 2001
    The more and more I think about this I can't help but feel for those Revs Staffers who were let go. Lets think about this.....how much money are they actually saving? According to there front office list they only had 7 sales guys out of 14 total staff including CT. Three out of the seven were let go. Now correct me but sales guys bring in money, don't they? I could assume then that the majority of there pay was made through commission and retained a small base salary.

So patriots marketing who have been sitting on there fat asses and doing such a great job of advertising the revs this year are going to take over? I assume they sold all of the club seats for the Pats, if not what makes them think they can sell soccer. Here's some advice for those guys......you actually have to go out and sell. The stadium isn't enough.

6. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    i was told (maybe wrongly) that commissions were not used there. who knows.....

7. RevFan17

RevFan17 New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    Commision is a big chunk of a Rev sales person's paycheck...small base salary, decent size commision.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: CT

Well, he didn't go out and sign Sunsing the way Gulati or Claivijo or Charlie Stillitano would have, but he is from Costa Rica and was the one who alerted the Revs to Sunsing, and his interest in coming to MLS. I think it's safe to say that if it weren't for Craig, Sunsing never would have played here.

Tom

9. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    gee, now i remember who told me that.
    :)

10. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard the same thing from another "insider." Todd was told of the decision just minutes before. This person then told me that TS was going to resign and I replied, " Tell him not to. Better to be fired and not lose the health benefits." I hope Todd still has lots of medical coverage for him and his family.

BTW - The "insider" also mentioned the Man U. game next year and said that the Kraft's love the fill of the coffers from the internationals. There was also mention of some Gold Cup games with 2 appearances by the US Nat.'s next year. There was concern about the Rev's survival and it would depend on their playoff run. This could be sour grapes because the "insider" is now "outside."

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    If you want to hire the best possible GM candidate, you have to let him choose his own coach - why else would he take the job. As much as Nicol seems to have gotten the team headed in the right direction, I don't think his status is going to stand in the way of hiring a top GM candidate.

The Pats, Celtics and Sox have all recently been in this position, and have all handled it differently.

The Sox new management sent Joe Kerrigan packing, even though he hadn't even managed a season opener.

The Pats were looking for a GM after Belichick was hired, but since the coach was clearly entrenched, top candidates (like Tom Donahue) weren't interested.

The Celtics also had a pretty successful coach who was popular with the players (Jim O'Brien). With him in place, they weren't going to attract a top GM candidate, so they ended up promoting Chris Wallace from within.

Of those three situations, the Celtics analogy is the closest fit. To continue with Nicol (a coach popular with the players and markedly more successful than his predecessor with a similiar roster), and hire a lesser-known GM, the playoffs are probably a requirement. (Although if Bruce Arena is interested in running the organization, he gets whatever he wants!).