Todays Liverpool vs Chelsea Game,.....

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by DCUdiplomat96, Feb 1, 2009.

1. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if the Liverpool vs Chelsea Game on FSC was on ESPN how would you think it would do ratings wise if it was on ESPN2?( being Super Bowl Sunday)

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's early enough in the day (ending a full 5 hours before the Super Bowl starts) that it wouldn't matter.

3. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just wondering cause look at what all the ESPNs showing right now... you Know... madden nation, this and that. understanding the ESPN super bowl preview and espn news

4. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Knowing that even the big EPL games on FSC struggle to draw more than 200,000 viewers during the live airing, I would be surprised if Liverpool v Chelsea would draw more than 300,000 viewers during the live airing if it were on ESPN2.

Why? Because the Chelsea story is now stale with Roman A. hurting financially and with the colorful Jose M. long gone. Chelsea's window to dominate the soccer world has expired.

Manchester United vs Liverpool, on the other hand, would be a completely different animal. That one could easily draw 500,000 viewers during the live airing if it were on ESPN2. Why? The ESPN hype machine would have run ads during SportsCenter (U.S.) for at least 5 days before the matck kicks off.

Recall that the ESPN hype machine ran ads for the UEFA Champions League final in 2008 for over 2 weeks. The result: the two airings on ESPN2 combined drew 1.1 million viewers, almost DOUBLE the viewers compared to what the 2007 UEFA Champions League final drew on ESPN2. That eye-popping rating was no doubt the catalyst for ESPN, Inc. to put their EPL TV bidding plans in the U.K. and the Americas markets into overdrive.

5. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U have to llok at the epl games as fill-ins not just marquee matchups, Posibbly eSPN for example couls just tone down its programming to focus its coverage of the superbowl.

6. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I think Chelsea is still attractive when there aren't many other options (that's why we got Chelsea-Cluj instead of another CL match on MD6) but you are right about the loss of pizzazz that followed Jose's exit. It's funny because they didn't play attractive football but he has a lot of charisma.

Did anyone catch the quantity of soccer scores floating through the ticker on ESPN News yesterday. Soccer scores were listed twice per turn so we would get NFL, NBA, Soccer, MLB, NEWS, NHL, Soccer, NFL, etc.

7. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    I saw Serie A scores on the ESPNNews ticker today (during there one hour simucasting on ESPN Australia) I am guessing that is because they now show Serie A on ESPN360 (in the US) and on there regualar ESPN television stations here. They could of shown more but I was not paying that much attention as after they falshed up the scores I waited for them to reappear for about the last 10 mintues before ESPN Australia went to Around the horn but they never reappeared but it is a day after you posted so so it appears they are not putting them on as often