Today in Crew History - A Tradition of Excellence

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    It's been a long time since I have seen a post with the name "Aimer" in it! During an exhibition game against an English team,didn't she lift her dress t to show her panties,to distract the player taking the corner? Or was that another one of early days supporters?

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have probably been in 137 for that game, and I don't remember anything like that at all.

There have been at least two "temporarily shirtless" women in supporters sections over the years.

3. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This day in history was also the first time that Konrad Warzycha made the 18.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5/11/1996 was the day we beat New England. I remember there was a PK and I think it was in the final minutes.

Either way, the fans celebrated by running on the field. One of the coaches said it was the fastest he ever saw Doctor Khumalo run.

5. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Sirk humorously documents this event in his book A Massive Collection...I was one of the fans chasing after the good Dr.

Kryptonite repped this.
  6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in the GA section in the north east corner for that, my first game. I remember it being a bit chilly that day.

WhiteHartShame repped this.
  7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today is the anniversary of the time we beat New England 2-0.

I was once told that game was immortalized in this commercial:

puttputtfc and kgilbert78 repped this.
  8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Circuit City was mortal.

9. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always remembered that Jeff Cunningham scored the first goal in stadium history. I DIDN'T remember that we scored it less than ten minutes into the match.

11. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Yeah, I missed it due to our perpetually late guitarist.

12. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #212 CybrSlydr, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Used to be I tried to out a positive/amusing spin on the scoreboard fire.

Now I just think the stadium knew a shitweasel when it saw one and tried to warn us.

EDIT: Along the lines of, "I WILL BURN MYSELF DOWN BEFORE I LET THIS **************** HAVE ANY THING TO DO WITH THIS TEAM!!!"

But, you know what they say, "What the caterpillar calls the end of the world the master calls a butterfly." -Bach

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the_rickler repped this.
  14. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That 2001 team was so much fun to watch. They won half the games played, had a +13 GD. Mais controlling things at the top of his game. A shame we matched up against a very hot SJ team in the first round of the playoffs. The series was basically over by halftime of game one, down 3-0 in front of 20k fans.

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yeah, that playoff game was a letdown. I took my dad to the only pro soccer match of his life and the team didn't play well that night.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The tie streak.

17. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a team too good to lose, but not quite good enough to win all the time

18. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that was 2001. We went 13-7-6 for 45 points and runner up spot in the central division to the Fire. I believe you're thinking of our 2004 Supporters' Shield team that went 12-5-THIRTEEN!!!!!

I think any game with ties, if you win half, you're doing pretty well. If you tie nearly half, not so much.

2001 was a great season of attacking soccer. Mais, Perez, Dante, Cunnignham, McBride, Ansil, Buddle, West, Warzycha, Harkes....So much MLS talent there.

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You'd be correct. There's a reason they refer to you as the Notorious Numbers-Runner Known As Zman.

20. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it happens to have nothing to do with my ability to recall games, seasons and stats. At those things I am trash. I did run a wagering game for many years in my section and that was the impetus for Sirk bestowing me that nickname.

I only remember the 2001/2004 thing because of the Supporters' Shield reminder and that we were the worst winner of that prize in history. No one wanted to be good that year and we were the least bad team. 2001 was a joy.

21. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Not sure I'd call 2001 a joy. League shut down for a few weeks when nobody could fly after 9/11.

22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That 2009 team might have an argument, the way a lot of teams at the top lost down the stretch. Then again, 2004 had that awfully horrendous playoff game against New England.

Of course, 2001 was the year we got hot after Fitz was let go. I believe it was also the year ESPN had their MLS ExtraTime highlight show which bounced around from Sunday night to Monday morning at various times. We were one of the hottest teams that summer and they gave us minimal time.

Looking back on it, from about 1997 to 2004, it was almost comical the way we'd come so close to MLS Cup time after time. It was definitely a "Charlie Brown" situation. Yet in 2002-2009, we won so many different titles over eight seasons, but when we didn't, we were absolute trash. We went from Charlie Brown to bipolar.

We went from a 5-1 win in the 1999 ECF to our house of horrors and I think one of those playoff games at DC saw us lose in a shootout.

zman31 repped this.
  23. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also won a championship with my rec soccer team, met my wife and enjoyed a summer of some really fun attacking Crew soccer. I stand by what I said. Never forget, but I'm not about to let it taint every aspect of every day for an entire year on the calendar.

I was responding originally to a post indicating that Dante is the only Crew player to be involved in 5 goals in a single game. And he got dumped on all the time for being terrible. We had so many outstanding MLS level attackers on that 2001 team that it was fairly easy to say that he didn't measure up.

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy Birthday today to Brian McBride.

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/gp9.67v1

"No owner of a professional sports team that uses a tax-supported facility for most of its home games and receives financial assistance from the state or a political subdivision thereof shall cease playing most of its home games at the facility and begin playing most of its home games elsewhere unless the owner either:

(A) Enters into an agreement with the political subdivision permitting the team to play most of its home games elsewhere;

(B) Gives the political subdivision in which the facility is located not less than six months' advance notice of the owner's intention to cease playing most of its home games at the facility and, during the six months after such notice, gives the political subdivision or any individual or group of individuals who reside in the area the opportunity to purchase the team."

Effective Date: 06-20-1996.

MLSinSTL and TKyle repped this.