To the Future: Ajax, 2018-19

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Last year it would have ment a loss by ref misses and after 2 matches already 4 points behind. So it's a big difference maker.

aveslacker repped this.
  2. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax HAVE to do the business now and follow in PSV footsteps!!

No excuses!!

Orange14 repped this.
  3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Some luck on the first two goals but the Tagliafico-Tadic connection was sublime!!! Keep Kiev to one goal is now critical.

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nice 3-1 win over Dynamo Kiev in the first round of the tie. Ajax were a bit unlucky not to have had a fourth as Huntelaar hit the crossbar and Ziyech the post. Defense did enough in the second half tightening up their marking and Onana had a sparkling match with some very clutch saves. I was a bit surprised to see De Wit come on for van der Beek but I guess ten Hag wanted some speed and pressing in the final five minutes.

ten Hag opted to push Tagliafico up the field as much as possible going with a back three of de Jong, Blind and de Ligt. I was wondering what the tactic would be in the absence of Neres. It was a logical move and worked out.

Player Ratings:

Onana (8) - made some very difficult saves and did as much as he could on what ended up as the Kiev goal
    Tagliafico (8) - played extremely well and was a little tired coming back when he barely clipped the Kiev player's heel but it was enough to lead to a suspension in the return leg
    Blind (7) - played positionally very well covering the center back most of the first half when Ajax were on the ball
    de Ligt (6.5) - some poor marking in the first half on corners but other than that strong play
    Mazraoui (7) - no doubt this was a much stronger game from the RB; some good interventions and kept his position most of the time
    Schöne (7.5) - kept his head in the match and controlled the ball well surely he needs time off on Saturday
    de Jong (5.5) - far too many mistakes on the ball for me
    van der Beek (7.5) - worked hard all match long and was always busy on the attack as well as tracking back
    Tadic (7.5) - solid match other than sometimes not tracking back
    Huntelaar (7) - unlucky not to have scored with two solid strikes on frame and his hold up play was the best I've seen this season
    Ziyech (8) - caused trouble for Kiev all match long
    De Wit (5) - came on late to help press and that's just what he did

There were some tired players out on the pitch by the end of the match. Seven matches so far since the start of CL qualifying and surely there has to be some rotation on Saturday. ten Hag needs Dolberg back so that Huntelaar doesn't have to carry all the burden at #9.

5. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Very poor football, especially the second half. A ref's decision to not call a PK against us might have been decisive. Huntelaar's "scoring to missing" ratio is in the region of 1:10, still he's never subbed Insisting on Schone for 90 min. is puzzling too.

6. Why was no one guarding that post?

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Really good question. There were two unmarked Kiev players in that space after Onana pushed the ball away. Ajax marking on free kicks was suspect all match long.

8. Ten Hag's opinion:
    Dure uitgoal Kiev was volgens Ten Hag simpel te voorkomen
    VideoTomasz Kedziora kon na een kwartier geheel vrijstaand de 1-1 binnen tikken na de indraaiende corner en vervolgens de kopbal van Viktor Tsyhankov. Volgens Ajax-trainer Erik ten Hag was de dure uitgoal van Dinamo Kiev simpel te voorkomen. ,,De tweede paal verdedigen: daar moeten we gedisciplineerder in zijn. Als Frenkie de Jong iets verder naar rechts stond, had hij die bal weg kunnen koppen'', aldus Ten Hag tegenover Veronica.

Orange14 repped this.
  9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    2-0.

I know its only FC Knudde Emmen, but Ajax are playing a nice game so far

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Very simple 5-0 against a side that is not worthy of the Eredivise. The one strange thing was that Wöber did not get a start or even come off the bench. Tagliafico is suspended for the return tie with Dynamo so the question is how will Ajax line up defensively? Perhaps they go with a back three with de Jong dropping back to help out. I guess we will see on Tuesday. Ziyech was the MOTM with a very good game. Lots of good pressing all over the field and some easy recovered possessions.

Player Ratings (low because this opponent was so poor):

Onana (6) - had a couple of wayward kicks and I cannot remember a single save
    Tagliafico (7) - very nice match going forward
    Blind (6.5) - got beat badly at about the 70th minute but de Ligt bailed him out
    de Light (7) - usual strong match
    Kristensen (7) - played the full 90 and did so quite well
    Eiting (7) - still a little hesitant when making the first pass but had a very nice cross into the box on the 4th goal
    de Jong (7) - solid
    van de Beek (7) - all over the field today on offense and defense
    Tadic (7.5) - best transfer in a lot of years
    Huntelaar (7) - got two goals that were both deserved
    Ziyech (7.5) - incisive passing and strong shooting
    Mazraoui (5.5) - on for de Jong in the MF
    Serhuis (5) - really didn't get a chance to do much
    Johnsen (5.5) - on late to play on the left wing and had a couple of nice touches

A trip to Ukraine coming up (notice the correct grammar!!) with a big CL qualifying match on Tuesday.

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Put Blind at LB?

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    By the way, I got 100 Euros on Ajax winning return leg (draw no bet)

13. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I never bet on Ajax games. I can't bet against my fav team of course and whenever I bet on Ajax to win the game they fail to do so. So for me it's lose-lose situation. Instead I bet on PSV scoring in extra time. I've made a small fortune so far.:)

aveslacker, Orange14 and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  15. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Need to get into Champions League. Keep possession be smart .
    This should be handled.

pfloyd and Orange14 repped this.
  16. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Scoring a goal will most certainly win us the tie, but we took only one striker to Kiev and that's the wasteful Huntelaar. I pray he proves me wrong. No matter what we have to do it. Good luck.

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  18. Hope the Tadic miss not going to be costly.

Orange14 repped this.
  19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Still a lot to do in the 2nd half. This club has to be better at finishing if they want to play CL football.

20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I dont think it will.

Ajax are playing some nice tiki-taka

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My bet is intact.

Thank you Onana :thumbsup:

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    On to the Group Stage of the Champions League!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] In the end, Ajax just had too much talent on the ball compared to Dynamo. Outside of the first fifteen minutes, Ajax were in control of the match and should have finished things off at several points during the match. This kind of finishing will certainly be punished when they move on to more talented competitors. Ajax really need to get Dolberg back to the pitch. Huntelaar cannot keep up this kind of playing schedule for much longer and I was surprised that he was not substituted off for the final 15 minutes.

Player Ratings:
    Onana (7.5) - had some work to do in the first fifteen minutes of the match and was up to it
    Wöber (7) - more than adequate substitute for Tagliafico and it was good to see him go forward with purpose
    Blind (7.5) - he really had a fine game on defense and his passing was incisive
    de Ligt (7.5) - great match from our Captain, really strong in keeping things organized on the back line
    Mazraoui (6.5) - poor defending on the early break into the box by his man but after that was fine
    Schöne (7) - good field sense with his passing and he managed to defend pretty well
    de Jong (7) - very good first half and then tailed off a bit; never make a back heel when you're deep in your territory and you don't know what is behind you!!
    van de Beek (5.5) - really ran hard all game but his finishing was mediocre
    Tadic (7) - two centimeters off on the PK but he sits on the ball so well and makes some great plays as a result
    Huntelaar (6.5) - really tired down the stretch and was unlucky not to have scored
    Ziyech (8) - strongest player for me tonight and he was relentless challenging for the ball everytime there was a turnover

Group Stage draw is this Thursday and I believe Ajax will be in Pot 3

richsavare repped this.
  23. gabrielguilarte

Feb 23, 2016
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Crongrats to our team! Although I need to say Tadic was awful today. Same as Huntelaar, he looked tired and wasteful yet again. I wish we can have new blood there but Sierhuis is yet too young. Besides the mistake he made Dejong looks like the real deal, really calm on the ball and hardly put a foot wrong. I really enjoyed Eiting today, smooth on the ball and have a great vision. Van De Beek seems to be overrated tbh, inaccurate on the shots but he put a strong performance defensively.

24. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ahum, giving Tadic a 7 is EXTREMELY generous, even after missing his PK.

My Tadic rating = 5.5 at best