To skort or not to skort: That is the question

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by REALfootballRulez, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I'm trying to stay above the fray here, but I think you've got it twisted here (no wonder you're confused). I think the idea is: well, if they don't play that well, they might as well look good.

It makes sense, but it's quite mean-spirited.

2. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    But then you're pandering to an audience that's not likely to make many repeat visits. As I mentioned earlier: Titty bars are cheaper and you get more.

And if it's only residual attendance bumps you're looking for, just have a dollar beer/brat night.

3. NotWhoYouThink

NotWhoYouThink New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Like! (Wishing there was a like button here like on Facebook.):D

4. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Sepp ever watched basketball?

[​IMG]

5. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If we can get crotchless men's unis maybe I'd be down.

Which brings me to another dichotomy that perhaps a big strong man can help solve for me. Men (not all) seem to demand or crave that a woman show off their body (despite the fact that the appearance of such will be nitpicked to death and the "undesireable uglies" will be cast aside), but if one changed the tables how many men would be willing or even consider showing off their assets? They seem to fear the very same thing they expect women to be so open about, for their viewing pleasure.

*Not to alientate the part of the male population that have better self control and who are willing to work quite hard to earn the privalage of seeing a nice rack.

I also agree with Bonnie gimmicks no matter that they are or who they appeal to eventually wear off, in a relatively short time span in the grand scheme of things.

6. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about volleyball uniforms? There is NO need for them to wear skin tight shorts. They could just as easily wear baggy shorts like soccer and basketball players do.

Plus basketball is MUCH bigger than soccer in America. The NBA supports the WNBA while MLS couldn't dream of doing that for WPS.

7. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    They used to, then somehow they got the notion that it made them carpet munching *****.

As for shorts mens shorts were once short. Then our society shifted and decided they wanted women to show more and men to show less.

I thank John Stockton for never denying my eyes a shot of leg.

8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    even much shorter than in this picture:
    [​IMG]

9. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Mmmmmm one could only hope. ;)

To sum it up from my perspective: I feel that if certain players want to add the attachment, they should be free to do so. I don't think it's fair to mandate such a thing as an uniform requirement. Just as a man is no more or less a man by the length of his shorts a woman is no more or less a women just because she's not excessively feminine. I feel like the true beauty of both sexes goes far beyond clothes. If one can only find a woman desirable if she's wearing next to nothing, then visit the fine hardworking girls at the boobie bar. They have bills to pay.

10. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Volleyball players wore basketball/soccer shorts?? When was that?? The 1920s? LOL

I'm just saying there is no need to make mens and women's unis the EXACT same. They can set themselves apart a little bit without looking like sluts or strippers.

The tight volleyball shorts wouldn't work in soccer but the skort would work for non-goalies. If a women's league actually mandated it then some players might find it strange at first but they'd get used to it.

The key is it can't restrict your range of motion which it won't.

11. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I talked to a relic and their volleyball team (mid 1970s) were given the boys soccer team's hand-me-down shorts. The tops were also no where near as trimmed down as they are today.

The uniforms are not the EXACT same as mens's, women's uniforms of today are actually more made to fit, not skin tight, but cut to our figures.

I still don't see the point in mandating a particular style of uniform to suit the "wants" of the viewer. If a trend is to be set let the players themselves set it. ie. Michigan's Fab Five basketball team

12. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you are a female of course. What level of soccer do you play?

If you played in a league than mandated skorts or something like it would you do it?

At least wouldn't you try it for a few games and see how it goes? What do your female teammates think?

13. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oh of course. I played in high school and my very well pick up intermural then club in university if I don't stray to Rugby.

No I would not do it, for I don't think it's necessary.

No I would not try it for a few games because I believe it is asinine(in this age) to modify a uniform in that way. (If it were traditional garb as in field hockey then I would have known what I was getting myself into.) It really wouldn't matter what they thought of it. We are entitled to our own morality, beliefs, and opinions.

I still find it "interesting" that it would be/is expected of women and not of men.

Already have the USWNT walking around in spa "smocks". What more do you want?

14. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?? When are where was that??

So you would be okay playing soccer in field hockey skirts?

15. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So I take it you haven't seen the tops they've been playing in.

[​IMG]

No I did not say that. I said that if I were playing or joined a sport in which something like that had been tradition (established and kept), then I'd have no right to complain because I knew that to begin with.

16. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL...I thought you meant the players were cavorting around in actual bath robes.

And you complain about skorts!!?!? :p

17. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yes they really took one for the team. I thought the look of the other one was fine and had a nice fit.

[​IMG]

Do me a small favor if you can put on a women's jersey and put on a men's and tell me if they are exactly the same. In the event that you can get your shoulders in the women's jersey. :D

I'm ok with having our own style with our uniforms and I'm ok with players showing their individuality, but adding something to the uniform that was never there in the first place just to look more "womanly," is a bit off to me. I also think there's a reason why it didn't catch on in the league.

18. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe that's because the league never caught on to begin with? :p

I'm a big fan of women's soccer and really want it to work. I agree that if the ladies wore skorts it would not make any big difference in attendance.

I can see your point of view but I'm sure you can see the point of view that there's nothing wrong with trying something different for a new league. Rememer we are not talking about ladies playing in thongs. They would be as fully covered in a skort as shorts.

Skorts never caught on with the players since they never saw any reason to wear them and they never wore them before. The only way it would work is if it was league mandated.

19. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    There's nothing wrong with trying something different, but there is something wrong with trying something if it's for the wrong reason. IMO, making the WPS uniform like a field hockey uniform is only to make the players look sexier. It really serves no other purpose. WPS would think of that as a "wrong reason", I believe.

In some sports, like tennis, being sexy is something many players want and they dress themselves accordingly, within reason. That's the culture. However, I don't see that culture in women's soccer.

If the WPS players wanted to look sexier on the field, I think it would be apparent by now. I think it's clear that they just want to be regarded as athletes and nothing more.

20. CardtheBird

CardtheBird New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Is everyone on this board past retirement age? Or from some socially conservative foreign country? Because if you are an American male under retirement age (or know one) you would know that in their mind the connection between skirts and femininity/sexiness ended forty years ago when the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders stepped on to the field in hotpants. Since then every American male has grown up viewing the DCC as the epitome of female pulchritude.

Please let this thread die. It's entire point is nonsense. The vast majority of American males will not find female players more feminine or attractive if they wear skirts let alone skorts. Wearing skirts will only cause more people to not take the sport seriously. It's why basketball players no longer wear skirts. And why no one takes lacrosse and field hockey seriously.

As for men past retirement age or from some other country, I think all of them likely to attend already do. And no I don't foresee soccer players donning boots and halter tops.

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This is a thread that just keeps on giving. I don't agree with all of the post, but I just couldn't let one thing go uncorrected....
    One of my elementary school teachers was a Redskins cheerleader. Parent involvement was way up that year.

[​IMG]
    That's actually taken straight from the Washington Redskins website.:eek:

Somewhat on topic, for the most part, cheerleaders wear skirts and dance teams don't. Even those uniforms have traditions.

22. CardtheBird

CardtheBird New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    I'm trying to figure out how the second picture denotes intelligence? It seems to be highlighting the same features as the first picture. Perhaps they are making the point that "Intelligence is sexy."

23. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    and i'm trying to figure out how the first picture denotes sexy! what could be uglier than that kind of petanque ball silicone job?

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia