To Protect or Not to Protect (Expansion Draft Thread)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by adammac19, Oct 21, 2009.

1. kaiteng

kaiteng Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I really hope TFC could trade either of those three for draft picks or allocation money soon.......

2. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Interesting point Nowak said during the post draft interview about not getting players with huge wages because of the uncertainty of the cap for next season because of the contract talks between the players union and MLS.

As far as the players they took, Moreno and Le Toux stick out but they also got Zimmerman from NYRB who is a good young mid-fielder.

3. deepm

deepm Member

May 13, 2009
    Mississauga
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I highly doubt Robo will play for any other team in MLS but TFC.
    Considering the size of Robo and Guevara's salaries...and factor in their ages...hardly a chance we get a draft pick for either one.

It might be possible though for Guevara. Most likely he will be waived.I could be wrong.

4. tfc_for_life

tfc_for_life Member

Oct 18, 2007
    no one was picked. What does that say about the Tfc roster? -its so poorly put together not even an expansion team wants a part of it.

In a way I'm happy because Mo has one more player to deal. In another light, it was a chance to dump salary.

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    TFC lost players in previous years when it had a worse roster. The picks have more to do with which specific players are available at which specific positions and salaries. Both New York and SJ lost players and they are worse teams that TFC. Neither RSL nor Houston lost players but it would be hard to argue that those rosters aren't well put together.

6. Drexel10

Drexel10 New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Both of those teams, inexplicably left two promising, cheap, young players exposed?!?!?? Their fans are not too thrilled about it either.

7. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Perhaps it's more of a reflection of smart planning of the protected list by Mo and Preki.

I know it's highly verbotten to suggest that Mo did something well, but I just thought I'd put it out there anyway.

8. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I really don't think you can read much into the fact that no one was picked from TFC. For all we know, Mo could have struck a handshake deal with Philly not to take any players from TFC.

9. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    From what I was reading, Philly had a handshake deal with RSL about the same matter, which probably led to the Chris Seitz deal.