To Play Or Not To Play

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Gaglitm, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Gaglitm

Gaglitm New Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Totowa, NJ, USA
    It is with utter disgust that I see the Italian national team go play a meaningless friendly game in Poland, in the face of Italian Carabinieri, soldiers and civilians being blown to pieces in Iraq.

The Lazio and Roma players (Fiore, Tommasi, & others) vocally second-guessed the FIGC decision to go ahead with the game today, after placing flowers at the grave of the Unknown Soldier.

Does a friendly sports event really take precedence over a tragedy?? Even the brat Cassano refused to celebrate his first goal with the first team in the game against Poland. That is saying a mouthful.

Thoughts out there????

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I'm sure they would have preferred not to play. If it had been in Italy, it would not have been played. As it is, I'm sure they had extensive contractual obligations with the Polish Federation, and it would've been quite expensive (and an insult to the Poles) to pull out. Perhaps the Poles would've understood since they I believe they have had at least one fatality in Iraq as well. But they would've still wanted reimbursement for the lost revenue. And who knows, they might get drawn together next summer, and why give them extra motivation.

There was mention of Sunday's game being cancelled, but I expect it'll get played.

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    In fact, it sort of reminds me of Sept 11, 2001, when all the Champions League game were played as scheduled (including Lazio's in Turkey). The timing was such that they decided to go ahead with the games. The next day's games were cancelled. Sometimes the scope of something is not known in time to stop the wheels from turning. Heysel is another example. They played the game.

4. reverebulls

reverebulls New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Expect the game against Romania to be postponed, if it has not already by Friday. You heard it here first.

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    WOW! Let me tell you ... unattributed information from newbies is always a source I trust! Proof is in the pudding - we will see. Actually, it might make sense as a lot of the funerals will probably be taking place this weekend. But I haven't seen any word yet.

6. kotzunder

kotzunder New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    i just heard that they will play anyway ... if they changed their plans then they would have done like yesterday or 2 days before
    but they could even change afterall, eh

7. Gaglitm

Gaglitm New Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Totowa, NJ, USA
    I agree with Sue, we'll see.

Deep down, I don't think that the FIGC has the big onions to actually call Sunday's game off. Too many financial intererests involved. Shame though.

8. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    feel the same way, Sue hit the nail on the head re: contractual obligations...

if your a fan of the national team, basically through out what you see on the field in the 2 matches this week...no one wants to play.

9. Nintendon

Nintendon New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well, for me there's no such thing as 'meaningless friendlies', I mean...A match is a match, if players want to play, then let them, but if they refuse they are only ruining their reputation (if they have one) - Italy do. But I suppose, if you field your strongest team for these 'meaningless friendlies' and one of your stars gets injured...then thats a big problem :S

10. kotzunder

kotzunder New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    and afterall NT maches are still much more interesting than club ones (though most of the times are against minnows), though major interests are around clubs