To people who'd leave the Crew to support Cleveland

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Eggy, Oct 4, 2003.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I wish I wrote that.

2. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    BUT, and this is a massive but, Jim Smith must be responsible for reshaping the team this off season, it's down to him IMHO. There should be a new coach, if the contracts of some of these Rootes players are up, then they need to be sent packing, Cunty is gone, so we'll need a replacement at striker, Presthus is gone, so we either need to draft a replacement, or go with this Eultschey kid, a decision needs to be made as to whether or not to keep Walsh as an SI. Bottom line there's a lot that'll need to be done over the offseason, JS is going to be the expirienced one, not whomever the new coach is going to be.

Hard to believe but I'm already, in my head, planning a massive keg party for the draft....Sad to say but I look forward more to this than our last home game.

3. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Not disputing your HSG theory at all - they seem willing to tank through the cheap years so they're well positioned when things balloon. Dragon Stadium anyone?

But a few random points:

Can't score goals: this is really interesting. I fell into the trap of believing the quality and number of your stars had somehow failed to raise the games of your Dunseths, McCartys, Clarks, Oughtons Torreses etc. Of course, this points to Andrulis.

I think you have far and away the greatest potential firepower of any MLS team in McBride, Cunningham, Buddle, West, Hejduk, Martino - even Garcia looked like a weapon and Maze could be counted to create or finish the occasional goal. These guys could give you every variety of offense. Then you have guys like Walsh (look out) and APC on the bench. The scoring problem can't be personnel. Of course, this points to Andrulis. Which, at this point in the season, certainly points to HSG.

Great keepers: Busch should be considered in that group. He's one of the most consistent performers in the league, not only skilled but ready and likely to make the brilliant, clutch play. You could hardly say those things about the guys in front of him, which raises my estimation of Busch even higher.

KC allocation: While he might not have had the drawing power of a Lalas, Mike Sorber was considered big time in 1995-96. Despite his youth he'd played every minute of the '94 World Cup and been one of the better performers. He seemed guaranted a national team spot for the coming decade and he had the midwest connection. I know I'd have taken Sorber over Harkes anyday.

I'd guess a cross-state rival would be a healthy thing for the Crew, and any Cleveland entry could really use a fan like Archer.

4. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I might be the only one, but I think JS and HSG made the right decision not to sack Andrulis mid-season. To do that would be to follow the same pattern this team has followed since inception. The way I see it is JS and HSG basically told Andrulis "you have the talent, it's up to you weather you sink or swim." It's unfortunate for us fans that love this team that Andrulis sank, but I think next year we'll be a better team for it.

HSG have given their teams everything in order to succeed as sports organizations, on and off the field. I think the ideal would be to have an ownership group that is totally devoted to just the Crew. However, since HSG has to own three teams in order for this league to survive presently, they put people they feel can handle operations, like JS, and let them operate without too much interference.

5. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Garcia is not a weapon unless you are talking about taking the heads off people in the stands because that's where his shots go.

6. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to defend anyone but who in the hell would have predicted that some of these players, like Andy Williams, Perez and Torres and Garcia (etc). would have been such inconsistent bombs?

Andy Williams, came in and kicked butt before ending in the "Fitz doghouse"...

John Wilmar Perez, came in and sorta sucked but when Fitz was sacked this guy and Cunningham were freaking unstoppable, went on to win an MVP; next season struggled with a healthy Maissoneuve, Harkes, and promising young Martino in the line-up; slowly fell out of favor with fans and radio announcers; gone. At the Bonseu trade, Perez was "the untouchable" after his previous performance. I'm sure the Crew management felt "we have a winner here, we can concentrate on improving other areas".

"We have a winner here, we can concentrate on improving other areas."

Fricking'A how many times has that come back to haunt us:
    Left back? Torres
    Left wing? Garcia
    Midfield? Perez, Maissoneuve, Martino?
    Keeper? Sommer, Dougherty, Presthus (all taking the jobs of their successors, is Busch next?)

7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Some may get their wish...

Cleveland is the leading contender since they have an owner who is committed to soccer and committed to building a soccer specific stadium," he noted.

Garber also said that any expansion of the league would likely take place in 2005.

http://www.ussocceruk.com/news/?Cat...2&ContentId=956

8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll probably get it. They can say the magic word: money.

Anybody who will build a stadium on their own land with their own dough (has not yet been done) AND fork over the entry fee, whatever it is AND agree to ante up for the losses each year AND have the cash to stay with it WILL get into MLS. Not a question in the world about it.

And the Cleveland group says they have a plan on paper for a building that will "make HDC look cheesy"

As for me, it doesn't really matter.

1) I will always love the Crew, because I can't help myself and am stupid

2) I really, really, really, really hate Cleveland.

9. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    $20 it doesn't even make Dragon Stadium look cheesy.

C14

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wow. With mature fans like you I can't imagine why anyone would feel compelled to switch loyalties given the chance. You should try a spell checker, too.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take that bet.

Dragon Stadium is the biggest no-account, piece-of-crap, sorry excuse for a home venue that this league has seen or ever will see. It sucks. I don't even think that I'd like it for football.

12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a foolish bet. Mr Wolstein is a billionaire real estate developer who has been involved with soccer for 40 years all over the world. He has built numerous soccer stadiums, has owned professional soccer teams on three continents and owns his own achitectural firm and construction company.

To bet people that he can't build a soccer stadium better than a high school football field is dumb even by BigSoccer standards.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I didn't believe it could be as bad as it looks on TV, but I flew through Dallas last week and I was watching out the window as we were landing and low and behold I got a great 30 second view from a few hundred feet. It was astonishingly hideous.

14. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Great job Andy. Are you soccer Andy in disguise?

Quit trying to act high and mighty and resort to spelling jokes.

It's fans like you I absolutly hate and I personally would love to kick you in the teeth and watch your pearly whites spread out across the pavement in front of all your pals.

If I wanted to be mature I'd be throwing dinner parties where we'd serve smoked salmon with a glass of white wine.

But honestly, how fun is that when you've got nosey fcukers from the midwest who need a reality check.

15. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I'd welcome Cleveland as a natural rival and I think it would pick-up interest in MLS all over the state.

If Wolstein is as good as his rep, he can do what was originally planned for CCS - build a stadium as a centerpiece (think golf course for residential dev) and turn the surrounding area into a buisness/Night time destination area. The parking, restaurants, streets would have some sharing of the parking and traffic amenities and have natural identity. Think Arena District/Short North/Blue Jackets/Nationwide in Cbus.

You get some Nats games, some good MLS promo, throw in some condo life and a few concerts and the cost of the stadium looks small. Easton is another example - Wexner missed the CCS opportunity to make the place rock 12-20 times/year. If he would have kicked in the land - Hunt would have built it there.

16. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eggy trying to punk andy, lets see who takes the higher road?

or lets set up a fight night...

17. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Are you turning cockney on us, Eggy?

18. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    No, I've never even met a cockney I don't think.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No
    It wasn't a "spelling" joke. It was a joke at you because you seem to be unable to make a point without profanity, so you just reversed a couple of letters. You're so smart that no profanity checker is going to hold you back.
    You don't even know me, yet you hate me. Amazing. You don't know the first thing about me. Such anger. You know what I hate? Young punks who are all about "aggro" and "sorting people out". That's what I hate. How about a little passion for the game and a little less hate for your fellow man.
    I don't know what that has to do with anything, but if that's what you like, or envision "maturity" to be, go right ahead. I don't really care.
    Talking about yourself again. Write back when you've grown up.

20. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Here we go again... :rolleyes:

21. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Just a joke. My sarcasm doesn't work well online. I'm really not as stupid as I sound. Let's just say I have a hatred and lack of respect for the city of Cleveland. Living there for 18 years will do that to you.

Honestly though, I would like to see Cleveland get a team so we have an actual rival. I am still suspect of Wolstein with the whole Force 1 fiasco, but I was brought up that way (another reason for my previous comment). If he wants to build a stadium, thats great. Good for him, good for Cleveland, good for MLS, etc. It will give us a chance to have a good strong rivalry, and another stadium to see "world-class" goals scored.

C14

22. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    What the hell is it with guys named Andy? Don't decent people know to stay the hell out of this place?

23. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, my sarcasm detector may be turned down somewhat. Alcohol has that effect on me.

But I couldn't agree more about Cleveland. All of Northeast Ohio, really. Canton, Akron, Youngstown, the whole stinkin area. A sewer. Can't wait to leave.

24. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    I actually like the Massilon Canton area. I have alot of family there.

Andy, I'll never grown up. I don't need to meet you to know your a twat. I can read these boards and figure that out.

25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever, man. Northeast Ohio rules. I love it here. Though, I wouldn't mind living in a suburb of CLB, for obvious reasons. Canton's nice, as is North Canton. I don't know why you'd call it a sewer.