To hate VAR or to hate the LOTG? That is the question [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I made this point about jumped up apparitchiks a couple of years back and got a bit of stick for it. Nonetheless, well spotted Sam, that ALL that they actually are.

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    For people like me, and yes I’m an old fart.

I just miss the days when, post game we’d talk about the match, the players, the goals and the excitement of winning. Sometimes even the quality of reffing. Then the conversation used to turn to anticipation of the next match.

Most of that is lost now, mainly I believe because of the gamers, the virtual managers who have never spent time following their team on bleak concrete terraces in all weathers, cheering their team on without huge TVs and messages that say
    “Checking to see if the ref on the field has screwed up”

If you do feel like a real fan and go to the game. Instead of waiting with the rest of the fans of both teams and with 22 players on the pitch all with heads looking up at that TV to see if that brilliant goal you just watched. Is really a goal or not by a MM. While it misses ‘Minor’ things like your most important player being crippled for the rest of a most important season.

I suppose that’s the price of ‘Progress’ but for people like me. Who doesn’t enjoy the whole of the post match conversations being about a guy sitting in front of a TV monitor hundreds of miles away. A lot of the Joy has gone out of the game.

At least now after a goal has been scored, you have time to go and buy another pie and beer, or even take that piss. Before you know if it counts.

zaqualung, Wingtips1 and CB-West repped this.
  3. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    At our age every piss counts.

usscouse repped this.
  4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    hey now, you're gonna trigger Hobo. he doesn't think the intent of a law is relevant, it's the process that counts !

Wingtips1 repped this.
  5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Jurgen after today's game:
    "I saw yesterday the (Patrick) Bamford armpit and it reminded me a lot of the Bobby Firmino armpit at Aston Villa (last season). I can't wait for the first time a player scores a goal with the armpit."

usscouse and Wingtips1 repped this.
  6. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And when that happens you know it would be overturned by....VAR

usscouse and SamScouse repped this.
  7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gabriel already scored this season with the upper arm, so far the current rule is consistent. Upper arm can score and flag you off.

8. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Of course you try to chime in....
    He didn't say, "upper arm," he said, "armPIT." You clearly didn't take the words Sam typed as binding and judged his intent incorrectly.

Would it be possible to score with one's armpit?
    Seeing as one's arm would have to be raised above shoulder height, the ball would almost definitely have to brush against the arm in the process of hitting the armpit, so it would not be a goal.

usscouse repped this.
  9. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Gosh this is fun.

“How was the game yesterday? I don’t remember but VAR was good!, even got them a penalty!”

Wingtips1 and SamScouse repped this.
  10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'd LOVE to see an experiment along these lines ..

- take each of the guys who act as VARs
    - show them a series (say 10) of close penalty / foul calls that haven't been on TV before
    - ask them to decide what should happen
    - compare the results to see how much "objectivity" the VAR process has introduced

11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a comment about the change? Armpit offsides literally no longer occur.
    Comments made about the former law don't apply to current season decisions.
    And I'll "chime in" whenever the ******** I please.

Have a good day.

12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #937 EruditeHobo, Nov 9, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    It all depends on what you want to focus on.

13. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It’s pretty obvious. The game of football without the gamers distractions.

How 20th century of me.

14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I hope you do! We need to see all sides of this equation so one day some sense will prevail.

15. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some simple rule changes that would make it all better (not perfect but better)...

-All handballs that aren't blatantly blatant (I'm talking Suarez vs Ghana) in the box get an indirect free kick instead of a PK.

-Let ARs call offside on the field (like pre-VAR days). Only overrule them if the video evidence is clear and obvious. NO DIGITAL RULERS.

SamScouse repped this.
  16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    hey you - cut it out, OK? there's no room for common sense on this thread!!

17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Common sense and rules do not mix. Common sense is anti VAR.
    Common sense is united choosing managers

18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with those changes, I just think it's a little more complicated than that.

The first hope is probably the Dutch system, if the lines are touching it's not offside or whatever. That would at least be progress away from these fractional offside calls. But maybe they will surprise me and pivot to include those kinds of changes quickly, I don't know.

19. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm sure it is but I think the world would trade that complicated for whatever the hell this joyless crap is.

SamScouse repped this.
  20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-lost-the-plot-on-handball-premier-league-var

Keith Hackett, the former head of referees in England, has said Premier League referees are not good enough, the VAR system is not fit for purpose and the domestic game has “lost the plot” over handball.
    Hackett, who was a top-flight referee until 1994, said that while VAR needs to be examined, officials on the pitch need to look at themselves too. “The standard of refereeing has fallen,” said the former general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Board (PGMOL).

“It is run like an old boys’ club now. There is no accountability. These guys are not amateurs, they are getting six-figure wages – you have to deliver. They are producing better referees in Europe. You get three or four key refereeing errors per weekend in the Premier League now. The standard is not good enough.

“When you start to penalise accidental handball, we have lost the plot. Handball should be deliberate to gain control, movement of hand to ball or to stop an attack. VAR is not at fault in this case, it is the laws.”

In additional to calling for a review of PGMOL’s operations, Hackett criticised the standard of VAR equipment and the way it has been used in the Premier League. “We got VAR wrong from the word go,” he said. “With goal-line technology, cameras around each goal are operating at 500 frames per second. With VAR, the technology is operating at 50 frames per second. That is not enough. We should be talking to the manufacturers – the equipment has to be better.”

21. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Pfffft just another old fart talking common sense again...

zaqualung, usscouse and Wingtips1 repped this.
  22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    he's in the right place, then.

:)

bayred repped this.
  23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    to quote.
    “With goal-line technology, cameras around each goal are operating at 500 frames per second. With VAR, the technology is operating at 50 frames per second. That is not enough. We should be talking to the manufacturers – the equipment has to be better.”

So at the speed a player is running and the speed the ball is traveling they measure Offside in silly millimeters. Instead of fixin the law to make it obvious without a fkn camera.

Fix it Dear Henry, fixit.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  24. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This is a problem

Humans can sprint up to 45 kmh (approx).

By my calculations:

45 kmh = 45,000 m/h
    = 12.5 m/s (45,000 / 60 / 60)

= 12.5 / 50 = 0.25 m/frame

Of course 12.5 m/s is VERY fast (equivalent to a 100m time of 8 seconds).

So let's assume half this speed. That means a player could easily have moved 0.125m (about 5 inches) between frames. This could be exacerbated if defenders are moving away from goal while the attacker is moving toward goal.

But decisions are being taken that assume a much higher degree of accuracy .......

Wingtips1 repped this.
  25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yep. it's nonsense. (I think someone on here did similar math ages ago?)

edit: not saying your math is nonsense.