to comcast subscribers: will you lose FSW?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by olckicker, Nov 2, 2003.

1. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    According to comcast's new digital packages FSW is moving to a more expensive tier. So unless I upgrade I'll lose FSW.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That happened where I live when Comcast took over AT&T. Informed of the change, I called them and told them that the only reason I got digital in the first place was FSW, and that if this is the only way I can keep it, I'm getting a dish. Turns out they were able to put together a package for me that increased my rates, but nowhere near as much as they said they would... in fact, it was pretty much the same increase that we usually get every year anyway. I lost Showtime movie channels, but picked up a bunch of others that I check out every now and then. So, try making them work for you first. Not saying it will work for you, but it's worked for me so far (going on a year now).

3. pasoccerfan

pasoccerfan Member

Mar 7, 2002
    Hershey, PA
    Comcast

I had Comcast digital service in central Pa. The only reason I bought the digital tier was for FSW. I let them know that several times. One random day (not the beginning or end of a month) I came home from work and all of a sudden FSW did not appear. I spoke with 5 different service reps (and managers) - none of whom could tell me why I no longer had it, only that it was no longer offered on any tier.

There was no prior announcement or warning--it just disappeared.

I since moved to Dish, and have been a very happy man. Eleven months later Comcast still owes me a check for half a month (I disabled Comcast mid-month).

Comcast is a nightmare. I'm glad I woke up.

4. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    I think Ollie said that even though Comcast has ties to FOX Sports Net, they believe that FSW could make a bid for Tour de France, which Ollie says is to Comcast-owned Outdoor Life Network as EPL is to FSW- meaning that OLN would be doomed if FSW got Tour de France. So in many parts of the country, Comcast is eliminating FSW when carriage agreements expire to ensure that FSW doesn't have the revenue/distribution to bid for Tour de France. Funny thing is, Tour de France has no real ties to NewsCorp- ITV televises it in Britain and I believe a lot of other free broadcasters carry it elsewhere in Europe.

5. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Re: Comcast

Crap...so much for us trying to get FSW on digital cable down here in York.

6. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Just do what I did. Get the dish.

7. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    It's not just the Tour de France franchise that Comcast is protecting for OLN.

OLN now has a ton of international sports properties, including skiing, yachting, triathlons, etc. All of these properties sell ads.

Not to mention that OLN has been able to undercut the competion (ESPN/ESPN2 and FOX Sports Net) by offering cut-rate TV time to independent sports TV producers who want to get their products in front of 50+ million households.

One way to protect OLN is to make sure that FOX Sports World will not be able to compete equally against OLN.

Comcast, which owns OLN, is in a unique position to screw FOX Sports World because Comcast controls over 22 million cable households.

Also note that Microsoft owns a significant percentage of Comcast (around 10% if my memory is correct). Brian Roberts knows how to employ Bill Gates-like tactics and he isn't afraid to use them against Rupert Murdoch and Associates.