To all the pessimists...

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by CaliManU, Dec 11, 2005.

1. CaliManU

CaliManU New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Why are you writing off your own team? Yeah, the Czech Republic is great with Nedved, Smicer, Cech, and others. Yeah, Italy has had a history of success and great players like Toni, Buffon, etc. Yeah, Ghana is a dangerous upstart with a great player like Essien and his counterparts. Who gives a s**t?

With a weaker team in 2002, we beat Portugal's golden generation with names like Figo, Rui Costa, Beto, etc. With that same team, we came within a goal line hand ball away from beating the eventual runners-up, Germany.

With this team in 2006, we can beat these teams like the Czech Republic, Ghana, and Italy. This is the perfect time to reinforce that we are not second rate. After we beat Mexico, everyone talked about how it reinforced that we were better than them. It's time to stop talking and start walking. We can beat any team in the world on any given day. This includes the great Czechs, the famous Italians, and the upstart Ghanians.

2. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We prefer the title "realists". And anyone with a clue wouldn't say it's going to be impossible. It wouldn't be shocking if America advanced, but it would still be a big surprise.

3. barkerjb

barkerjb New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    In my opinion, if we come out and play a tight disciplined game against the Czechs, I think there is a good chance we could sneak a few goals past them on the counterattack. It will be a major task ahead but I think Bruce Arena gets us the win. Against Italy it will be a different story. If we come out fast and we pressure the Italians like other teams have done recently, a draw or win is not out of reach. As for Ghana, we will have to research and discover their strong points and hopefully gets the goals we need for three points.

Plenty of ifs at this point but it's not at all unrealistic to say that we could possibly win this group.

4. Adidas4Life

Adidas4Life Member

May 9, 2005
    CaliManU,

Well freakin' said....... The sky in fact is not falling as the Czech's are not as strong as they once were (aging) and the Italians are, well , the Italians, beatable. We will compete for the top spot in the group as we need to b/c we do not want to face Brazil in the quarters.

This Eissen guy, with the exception of going in studs up and knee high against Pool the other day in the Champion's League game, he was a none factor.

5. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    :confused:

I'm confused - last time I checked the results the Germans beat the US 1-0. Considering that the US would have had to score the resulting penalty, even if the handball had been deemed intentional (which is far from certain), that would have made the scores even. How does that equate to beating the Germans?

6. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It is really facile to compare Portugal on Asian soil to
    Italy on European soil. I don't have the stats in front
    of me, but as I recall Portugal have fewer appearances
    at the World Cup than the States--maybe just three or
    four, in fact. So let's not act like Portugal are one of
    the traditional powers of world soccer.

7. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    I don't think anyone is...but it was pretty well known going into Japorea that Portugal was a dark horse if not a favorite to win the tournament.

8. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    Me and my friends have been saying the same thing about our group..."Bring them on! It will just be that much sweeter when we advance."

I also think alot of people are under-estimating our team.

9. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I admit that at first, I was bummed by the draw the US got.

Now, I'm feeling like, you know what? It's time for the US to step up.
    It's time for the US (or their supporters of which I am one) to quit whining and complaining about how difficult it is to win on Euro fields.
    It's time for the US (and its Association) to put together the most rigorous schedule possible to prepare for next summer.
    It's time for the US to stop screaming "2-0, 2-0, 2-0" just because we managed to beat Mexico a few times the last couple of years.
    It's time for Da Bruce to prove himself as a top notch World Cup coach (not just a "one hit wonder--small exageration on my part, I realize) both in whom he selects for his final roster (like: no Armas), and how he prepares his team for a formidible challenge.
    It's time for the US to show the rest of the soccer world that it definitely belongs as a top-10 team.

It's time.

10. klh23

klh23 Member

Jul 26, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dang right!

11. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    So what would it mean if the US went three and out next summer? Would US fans admit that you still have a fair way to go before you join the "elite" of the game?

From my perspective if the US plays well and makes it out of this group then they will have shown that '02 wasn't just a one-off (as per Turkey, S Korea etc) and that it is a team worthy of genuine respect.

12. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a pessimist. I'm looking at things from a realistic point of view and not like some of the crazy people who still think we have a legititmate shot at the quarters. Even if we make it out of the group most likely Brazil or possibly Croatia awaits us in the 2nd round. No easy task.

Honestly if you think Italy will not be motivated on European soil, like Portugal was on Asian soil stop kidding yourself. That said a tie isn't out of the question. However, However, just take a look at the talent. We just don't stack up well and it will be a tall order. The Czech Republic while not as tough and older, could still turn out anyway. If Nedved's healthy and in top form, they will be tough to beat. They go as far as he does. Ghana is another story. They could wind up advancing, beating the Czechs and helping us advance, who knows. I could see us beating or drawing them. But I wouldn't be suprised to see them beat us as well. They play well as a team and came upon success in a similar manner as us.

Basically the way I see it, no game is guaranteed points. Each game will be a fight and if we don't advance I wouldn't be suprised, and Bruce's tenure wouldn't be a failure.

13. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Juve supporter, I'd have to say that Nedved is no longer the talent he once was. That isn't to say he's crap but I don't think that the Czechs are as reliant on him as some of us think. They have talent all around and will be difficult to beat but it is time for the US Nats to step up and show that we belong. I know we can beat Ghana and do respectable against the other two. I'm hoping that we get the results we need and then see what happens against Brazil.