Tivo -- Still the way to go?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Labdarugo, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

actually this isn't correct.

Comcast in Baltimore:

Expanded Basic Cable locals plus normal cable is about 50 bucks now.
    To get FSC, and GolTV you need to purchase a sports tier package at 5 bucks a month
    Plus you need to rent the "digital" box for an additional 5 a month.

That's about 60 bucks, not to mention they are removing 20 channels from Expanded basic so you will be paying 60 bucks for about 55 channels.

Now, if you want 150 channels you need to get basic digital cable which is 65 dollars. on top of that you have to continue to pay the additional 5 for the tier and 5 for the box making your new total 75. If you want to have the ability to record via DVR you have to lease a DVR at 15 bucks a month each.

Oh and Comcast goes out on a regular basis, their picture isn't all that, their PPV is very very unreliable, and their service calls can take up to 72-96 hours to process.

2. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Dishnetworks 180 comes with all that, MLS Direct I did not order.
    As a DC fan I only really watch their games and ComcastSportsNet (also available on the 180 pack) covers the majority of their games I really only miss about 3 a season. Granted their schedule is up in the air right now.

Another eprson i have talked to in the Baltimore area with the same package as mine says his MLS DK works wonderfully and ahs for the past 4 years, no code problems etc like Comcast folks seem to be getting.

Internet, Idon't spend much time on it at home so I am still using the old dial-up.

Where in Baltimore are you moving?

3. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Near the B&O Railroad Museum..5-6 blocks West of UMB Medical Center

4. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    :eek:
    Let me guess you're going to medical school?

that area can be iffy but this whole city can be, also that area is getting built up pretty decently. Seriously do yourself a favor and don't go with Comcast, too expensive and their service really blows in this city.

We have a ton of festivals throughout the summer basically one or two a weekend from May til October so enjoy yourself.
    Lowecifer, John harkes 6, Billtimore, and myself are among some posters living in Baltimore. If you want to find some good places to eat goto Lowe's Private Forum he has a good list of restaurants.

Cheers

5. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the help, and no I'm not going to Med School

6. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    I got Dish Network yesterday, and I am having a devil of a time trying to hook up their 301 receiver with my Tivo Series 2 DVR. I didn't opt for the Dish DVR because I just thought I could connect both of them and not have to pay the $6/month. Am I fracked in that I'll have to give up Tivo if I want a DVR?

Any help appreciated, as the Veronica Mars finale is 13 hours and change away. :(

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Kristen Bell. Uhhhhh.

8. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a Dish receiver and Tivo Series2. Is it not working in the way it says to hook it up in the Tivo manual?

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Chicago already stated, a lot of cable providers provide DVR's that dual tuners for digital cable as well.

TWC here uses dvr's with dual tuner capability and it' got no problem recording two shows on digital cable or HD either.

10. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    bump...

for charge!'s sake.

11. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like we need a seperate thread for Satellite vs. Cable, Dish Network vs. DirecTV vs. Cable.

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    **** Comcast. **** them up their stupid asses. This afternoon I go to the local headquarters and pick up a DVR box, figuring I'll save myself the installation fee (it's only three cords, right). Get home, swap out boxes lickity-split. What do I get? "One moment please. This channel should be available shortly" for two hours. Well ****, the Prison Break season finale starts in 45 minutes, so I figure I need to call and see what they can do to help. 15 minutes later I get "ok, your box is reset. Give it a half hour and it should be working fine." 31 minutes later (Prison Break is starting), I fire up the TV and cable box and what do I get? The Comcast Teal Screen of Death. Profanity that would make a sailor wash his mouth out with soap ensues. I call back. So now I have an appointment on Wednesday night...assuming the guy shows up in the short window of time I have available. You might be want to inquire "but what are you going to miss before now and then?" Thank you for asking. I'll will be missing the reason I went ahead and picked up a box this week, the ****ing Champions League final...among a few other shows I'd like to have seen as well. Again, this all assumes everything is fixed by Wednesday night. If it isn't, I won't be around to have the guy back again till next week, which means I'll miss countless other shows AND GAMES, and considering I'll be out of town this weekend, the DVR would have been that much more useful.

**** Comcast. **** them in their stupid asses!

[​IMG]

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that the "regulation of cable TV" by the FCC doesn't include their Customer Service Departments. According to what i've read, it really should. (read with a bit of sarcasm). We pay a crapload of money for a service we expect 24/7 and what do we get? Even more so for the people who have cable internet or phone service. If your cable TV is bad or out, then the others can be affected as well.

Since we're sharing horror stories, here's mine which isn't quite as bad as some others i've read on BS but i'll share anyway.

The independent contractor (had his own truck, as opposed to a company vehicle) who originally brought the digital box last summer didn't replace any of the wires or give us a new amplifier to increase the incoming signal. Originally we had basic digital + HBO and a discount. Contractor said he had to "call in" the box to activate it. More than an hour passed and I decided to do it myself. Called in, the box was activated, but we got "call to order screens" on everything digital. That was a Saturday. On the next Monday, a tech came out, replaced the wiring, pulled some old wiring and we were fine. After the tech left, they gave us an additional discount for our inconvenience.

In January, they changed their billing system and we lost our discount. Called in to inquire about that. They ended up lowering our monthly bill by about ~$6 a month from the previous (not regular) rate for a year AND gave us HBO On Demand (Not bad). For a while, it was fine, then the HBO OD ended up freezing, eventually becoming unwatchable. About 48 hours later, a guy had it all fixed.

If you're missing the live broadcast of the final, that sucks, especially since it's not your fault. However, as of last night, my on-screen guide said that ESPN2 is re-airing the CL final in the late evening, or prime time on the west coast. That assumes the Comcrap guy is able to fix the problem. If it was me, i'd have him check the incoming signal, check the pole, everything. Cover all your bases.

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update: still getting the same maddening message. I doubt it is anything but the new box, because when I unhooked my old (non dvr) box everything was perfect. What really pisses me off is that I've talked to a friend and co-worker who have had similar experiences, and I've read a godawful number of them online after doing a search for a hopeful quick fix.

I do hope the CL final is reshown at a decent hour tomorrow night, but I'm still pissed.

15. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update II: Cable guy spent five minutes on the phone with Comcast and they just had to change the order or priority or something on my account and things worked fine. The Champions League final was reshown late last night, and I did record it and will be watching it tonight.

The features that I'm now just getting to test out have been easy, intuitive, and pretty solid. I'm sure I'll learn more and report back at a later time. Now for the real reason I'm here.

Does anyone else have a Comcast Mototola DVR and know how to copy from it's hard drive to my own? I've done some forum searches and found a ton of different options, but I trust most of you here and want to hear from the locals first.