Tivo -- Still the way to go?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Labdarugo, Apr 10, 2006.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You might be okay - but I would check out tivocommunity.com - I'm sure there's lots of discussions about this.

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just an FYI, I've started collecting the parts for my 1.5TB file server.

I'm aiming to get HDTV recording up and running by the World Cup.

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    This article may help reduce the price. If you manage to build one, I will buy another one from you.

http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=183702383

Sachin

4. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody have any idea when TiVo's next version is coming out?

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most estimates place the release of Tivo 3 in late summer/early fall. It's going to cost an armored truck worth of pretty pennies too.

6. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Just got this in my email:

Stop missing out! Just in time for May season finales, you can now record 2 shows at the same time* with the brand-new TiVo® Series2™ DT DVR. TiVo subscribers get first dibs on an 80-hr TiVo Package that includes 1 year of TiVo® service for only $254.

* Record Lost and American Idol
    * Watch Desperate Housewives and Sopranos
    * Catch 24 without sacrificing The Apprentice

P.S. Eliminate the need for a phone line! The new TiVo Series2 DT DVR also comes with built-in Ethernet so connecting to your home network is a snap!

Edit: Just read the fine print:

* Record from two basic cable channels, or one basic cable and one digital cable channel, at once. Does not support recording from two digital cable or satellite channels at once. Supports recording from cable and satellite sources only; does not support recording from over-the-air antenna.

7. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    It sounds like a standard definition DVR. Yes?

TiVo Announces First Standalone Dual Tuner Product, the TiVo Series2 DT DVR

8. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not HD if that's what you mean?

9. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Mr. Burns]Excellent![/Mr. Burns]

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that more than a few DVRs have dual tuners for digital cable. The new Tivo2 is only a dual tuner if you're still on analog cable. Tivo claims it was a cost-based decision, but they're just setting up the Tivo 3 to look that much better when it's released.

11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And won't work with satellite either. :(

12. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying to figure out whether its a good idea to get Comcast vs. DirecTV, Tivo vs. Provider-DVR.

13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can always spend $10 for a month of the Comcast DVR and try it out. If you don't like it, return it and get your box back and get something different.

14. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love my TiVo - and think it's miles above any cable DVR (at least software wise) that I've seen - but this is great advice. It's an inexpensive, low-committment foray into the world of DVR. After a month or so of that, you'll have a better idea of what you want.

I would suggest, however, that even if you like your cable DVR, do yourself the favor of seeing a real TiVo in action somewhere. After some experience with your first DVR you'll be better at evaluating what else the TiVo has to offer.

15. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    To add to this, I'm thinking about getting Dish Network as my Comcast digital cable bill has gone past the tipping point of what I'm willing to pay ($87 for digital classic in Philly) and need to know if my series 2 Tivo will work with Dish's receivers.

Any help appreciated. Thanks. :)

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Church of Foos BBQ at your place on Saturday?

17. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I recently ordered Dishnetwork and dropped Comcast.
    I got a 180 package and got the 625 Dual Reciever DVR. I can record on two seperate TVs, and I pay about 60 bucks a month for it. To get comparable equipment through Comcast I would be paying nearly 100 a month. This particular DVR records upto 100 hours of programming.

18. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    From my understanding, it's dual tuner limited to ONE digital source. In other words, you can use this with digital cable, but one of the tuners will only go up to 77 or 80 or whereever your cable system's digital tier begins, and the other can take care of the digital tier.

This is the unit I was talking about a few pages back....

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/25/tivo-series2-dt-hands-on-review/

Kinda wish I had waited for this, so I might take back the Tivo I just got for this one.

And Chicago, your DVD player would not play .tivo files directly. You'd have to use the Tivo software and a burning utility to burn them as DVDs. I'm sure there are options to convert to Divx or Xvid or whatever out there, but I'm not familiar with any.

As dark knight said, tivocommunity.com is a great starting point.

19. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find your message intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Since Pints is in Baltimore, and I'm relocating there (though probably not in time for the WC) I am interested in Internet/TV options in Baltimore.

May I ask, did you get MLS Direct Kick, FSC, GolTV or any other football packages? and what is your current Internet situation?

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point about the channels. Realistically you might as well just wait for Tivo 3 to come out then. While an increase in price, it will have dual digital tuners, among other features.
    Thanks, that's what I figured, but good to know.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want Dish Network and FSC, spend $50 a month on the "Top 180 package". That's the only way. It'll also get you Gol TV. Spend another whatever-DSL-costs (usually $20 per month). DSL isn't as fast as cable though, but it is good if you're on a budget.

If you want cable, i'm guessing the major provider is Comcast. Most likely, FSC (and possibly Gol TV) are on the "basic digital" or whatever it's called there. Expect to pay ~$45 for standard service plus an additional $10 at most for the digital package with FSC. Then there's ~$8 or so for the box. If you get Comcast's cable internet service, that's probably an additional $40 or so.

Odds are, it'll probably be $100 or so all said and done for Comcast, including internet. Ask them for their best introductory offer and you may be looking at $70-something a month. When that offer ends, ask for another one.

If you already have satellite, it can most likely transfer to your new address. Cable may or may not. I know my local Time Warner will "move with you", as long as you stay in the local area, or something like that. Direct Kick costs $69 for the season, and there is no mid-season price cut. If you get it now, it would be extremely wise to check with your provider if you can continue receiving it at your new address.

22. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like I may go with Dish Network. My only question is the best place to install the dish.

I think DSL was always going to be my choice. I think (hope).

23. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southwest corner of your house. :D

Nothing wrong with DSL. I've got residential grade DSL and serve three websites, one bittorrent tracker, an a personal email server out over it with no problem.

24. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Without reading the link, doesn't Tivo now have Yahoo pictures or something on it?