Tivo -- Still the way to go?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Labdarugo, Apr 10, 2006.

1. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man. I'm telling you. Cox Cable makes it very hard to figure out how to get DVR from them.

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch, baby. Very ouch.

3. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got my Tivo and it's great. Thanks for all the advice.

There was a question about needing a phone line -- you don't if you have a wireless network at home. The series 2 Tivo has a USB 2.0 port in the back. Just plug in an adaptor (that you have to buy separately) and that's it. Just be sure it's one of the adaptors listed on their website.

The Tivo didn't come with "watch something while recording something else" capability right out of the box. You need to buy a signal splitter or something. I'm going to take care of that tomorrow.

4. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is Tivo compatible with all Cable providers? I need to get it by June as well but I'm concerned about all the stuff you just don't know about until you buy one then you realize you need the extra stuff.

I'm going to be in a serious time-crunch, so I want all the necessaries to record every WC match (not HD).

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be. Usually, you'd have to have the TiVo control your cable box, but I don't know if the newer units have ATSC/Cable Card tuners or not.

A stock TiVo will not have anywhere near enough storage to do this without dumping the recordings to VHS or DVD (or copying them off to your computer) on a fairly regular basis. You'll have to hack it to add extra storage.

6. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Has anyone mentioned how the Tivo victory in the courts over Dishnetwork and their version of the DVR will impact dishnetwork subscribers?

7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Good defeats evil once again. My work here is done. :)

8. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, I did the math today and the size of the array has grown to 1500 GB (6 * 250GB data drives + 2 * 250GB parity drives) for about the same amount of money. $560 + tax/shipping for the drives, and about $400 for the rest of the system (MB, proc, case, PS, fans, controller, GB ethernet card).

I got space on my credit card... :D

Once 350GB drives become reasonable, you get to a 2TB array. 500GB drives make it a 3TB array. Schwing!

9. thehemi

thehemi New Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just bought a straight up DVR + DVD Burner combo device.
    I'm not attached to any cable/satellite provider, and there's
    no monthly fee that I'm stuck paying. I don't get any of the
    glitzy features, but my goal was just a "modern VCR" without
    the archaic tapes (using DVDs now instead). Mine's a LiteOn.

10. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phillps has a DVD Recorder that has the World Cup 2006 Germany Logo on it. I was wondering it says it uses VCR Plus to record...will this be good enough? is VCR Plus listings reliable?

They don't have Tivo's with varying HDD sizes?

11. josefl710

josefl710 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    texas
    I would say TIVO is for sure one of the best PVR's outthere. The reason is probably because they've been in the game so long. I have two Directivo's, one is a standard definition tivo and the other one is a High definition TIVO. They are both rigged up so they can be integrated into my wirelless network. I can pull any show I want into my computer and burn it if I ever run out of space.

By the way, if noone here has seen HIGH DEFINITION soccer I just uploaded this quick clip. HDNET has recently started to cover mls games again. This will give you an idea of how the world cup will be looking like this summer.

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of curiosity, how did you do this?

13. josefl710

josefl710 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    texas
    It wasn't an easy learning curve but basically you pull the drive out of the tivo. YOu put it in your pc and boot into a unix based OS, ( I used a bootdisk for unix) Don't boot into windows with your tivo drive in there as windows will overwrite into you drive and it won't work like bofore. I made a backup of system files. I then replaced the file that keeps security on the tivo with a modified one. After this the tivo is a basically a unix based OS, I addedd appropiate sys files to it so that it can run a server, it can run a SHELL , I can telnet into it, I can FTP into it. I can stream videos from the tivo to my computer without having extract them. There are alot of cool hacks for tivo's. Its sort of like a gray area, i don't think its illegal to do this. you are just giving more functionality to your already cool box. if you want more specific instructions i made a more detailed post at this forum . this forum is a gold mine of information and how to modify your tivo. If you want to give it a try, its worth it. But like i said you are going to have to learn basic unix commands and concepts.

14. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DealDatabase is da bomb for TiVo hacking! These guys are cutting edge - like editing compiled executables with a hex editor.

TiVoCommunity is another good web resource.

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Tivotogo does this without the hacks.

16. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is Tivotogo?

17. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
  18. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While owning a depreciated version of the hardware (DirecTiVo Series 1) means that I miss out on some great features like TiVoToGo, it also means that the feature set is virtually locked. I'm still on version 3 of the TiVo software, and that will likely never change.

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

It is a feature that allows you to transfer shows to your computer if you have networked your tivo to your home network. Burning them to a DVD for viewing on a DVD player requires additional software I believe.

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does that mean there is DRM associated with the files transfered, or are you just saying that you need to have a DVD burner and DVD burning software on your system?

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Preventing you from fast forwarding and skipping DVR adverts.
    2. Preventing you from changing channel once adverts start.

1) If they remove the "instant-skip" option, then that will suck, but at least you can still old-school fast-forward, right? 2x speed is still better than nothing at all.

2) That will suck, if that's the case. That's almost a reason NOT to get Tivo -- The box that does everything, including channel change-prevention. ;)

But they forgot something. At least you can still leave the room and refill the nachos during the commercial break. What are they gonna do, have something shoot a staple out of the Tivo during a commercial and pin you to the wall? :D

Then again, if this stuff is true, i'm sure there'll be a hack.

22. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this software d/led or purchased separately?

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Free and should be on all new Tivos - although my information isn't that up-to-date.

24. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I don't know what DRM means, but the file comes in some kind of format that needs conversion to a format that is playable via home DVD. So burning software isn't enough - assuming my information is current.

http://www.tivo.com/4.9.19.3.asp#top

25. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ask only because my DVD player can play multiple file formats like mpeg, avi, divx. DRM stands for "digital rights management."