Timothy Weah

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, Jun 11, 2018.

1. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Lille looks like they're losing a couple more players than just Pepe so time will be there for Weah

TimB4Last repped this.
  2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Just for clarity: you can get ESPN+ streaming without getting ESPN.

However, you do not get access to anything aired on ESPN, ESPN2, etc. To get streaming of that, you do need an ESPN subscription.

CeltTexan repped this.
  3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get on this if on the fence about ESPN+.
    The Plus channel is cheap, add this with a time purchase of a Roku stick and a man or woman will be able to view a chingon of footy all year round!

50/50 Ball and gogorath repped this.
  4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    wrong. espn+ is dirt cheap. there's no reason not to buy it. The problem is you cant get national broadcasts without a subscription, nor USMNT if ESPN has it.

Marko72 repped this.
  5. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I just dropped Sling for Hulu. Stream quality on Sling was just always so sub-par. My credit card I was paying for it expired, so I figured I'd trial something else instead of renewing.

6. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We really need this one to pan out lol

rlrcpa and TimB4Last repped this.
  7. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Just had to bump this, due to the fact that there is a video circling around of Weah's touches and performance vs Ecuador in the U-20 World Cup QF.

My word. Ronaldinho-esque.

Its the one game that tournament i did not get to watch, but man i wish i did.

here is a quick video summarizing some of his USMNT/USYNT play.

Speed/ touch/skill/Playmaking/scoring ability.

he has the chance to become a generational global superstar. If anyone has the U-20 WC QF video of his play vs Ecuador, that would be cool.

8. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Please get healthy and fight to be a legend.

jjmack, USSoccerNova, Patrick167 and 2 others repped this.
  9. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    How long has Weah being injured?

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feels like forever

STR1 repped this.
  11. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, he was starting during the preseason so it was right around the beginning of the season.

12. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Yeah he was a bit hot and cold at times at the U20 WC but when he was on he was spectacular. He also got better as the tournament progressed for sure. Really hope he can get healthy again. Watching that clip in general reminded me of how much of a freaking breath of fresh air that tourney was. Tab takes a bit of heat sometimes with his personnel decisions and game management but I'll be damned if we didn't play an exciting brand of soccer. I hadn't been that engaged watching a US mens team play in a long time. Such a dichotomy between that and the big pile of steaming crap that was the senior team last year.

Patrick167 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  13. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Weah's injury trouble has made figuring out where he'll end up pretty impossible. You just don't know what a year on the injured list does to a player. One of our very best prospects sidelined for a year, losing development and needing to get back in game condition and all, really a big setback. Hard to say how his season would have gone if healthy, but he was looking at a really good shot at being a starter on a solid team at a high level. He wasn't a guy looking to get garbage minutes. He got that at a mega-club like PSG, He was expected to be a real contributor at a very young age. I still think it could get really interesting if he plays up top when he gets healthy. Seems to US always considers him a winger, but he's played up front just as much for multiple clubs. He could provide some real competition for Sargent and others at the 9 as well as pushing for a spot on the wing. I think we forget that this wasn't just another youth player hoping to latch on. He got minutes and a goal or two at one of the biggest clubs in the world, stepped into a Celtic side and was instantly one of their biggest threats and was bought for decent money by Lille to get real time out there. He was moving along quite nicely until the injury.

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes a long layoff can be a good thing, especially after such a hectic youth career. It allows the rest of his body to fully recover.

Hopefully he's able to recover as well as Jordan Morris.

nobody, ifsteve, gogorath and 1 other person repped this.
  15. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He got injured in August then when he returned to training he tore his hamstring i believe. Just bad luck.

But if health he will get another shot as Lille thinks very highly of him and they are selling Oshimen to Napoli.

16. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lille were playing a sort of 4-2-3-1, with the middle of the the 3 line playing as a second/withdrawn striker (which is where weah started 3 in preseason matches, coming on at right attacking mid in another). i dont know that oshimen being sold would effect him much.

17. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    He and Dest looked SLICK on that right side.

Weah has a lot of talent and ability, but his best attribute is his leadership. He plays his heart out. Weah, Adams, McKennie, and Pulisic could form a great core.

18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hulu is better streaming but a lot more expensive.

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    You probably saw that @CMeszt posted about Sling/Hulu more than a year ago, but so much has happened since then - most notably a stimulus check for almost everyone, with another check quite likely on the way soon. :thumbsup:

IndividualEleven repped this.
  20. UncagedGorilla

Barcelona
    Sep 22, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I would add that Weah and Sargent have a natural chemistry together that has shown itself through basically all tournaments they've played together. They've both had some setbacks (injuries, strange club situation) but I'm still really high on those two doing some of the same things they did through the youth ranks on the full USMNT. Assuming they can both get significant playing time and continue developing next year, I would think trying a two forward combo with those two being the forwards would be worth a run out. I actually think part of the reason Weah seemed more hit and miss in the U20 WC was because he and Soto didn't read each other quite as well and you could even see that in some of those clips posted above. Both great players, just didn't have that almost telepathic connection.

I've been really high on Weah for a long time and I still fully expect him to be a starter in The Ocho.

Pegasus, gogorath and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soto is not likely to be a top player in my opinion. He's slow of foot and of mind.

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  22. UncagedGorilla

Barcelona
    Sep 22, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I tend to agree. I don't see him as a future NT player. My point wasn't really about Soto, just that Weah and Sargent are great individually and play even better than the sum of their parts. Weah and Soto are arguably both individually very good players but never seemed to play better than the sum of their parts.

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The two showed that chemistry with the USMNT in 2018. I would put Weah on right opposite of Pulisic. Pulisic would be an inverted winger while Weah would be more of a true winger but would also pinch in or stretch the defense when Sargent drops to combine. Dest would be on the right taking up open space more centrally or wide depending on Weah's location. ARob would be a true overlapping left back (check out his ball on the assist in video below).

Back to Weah and Sargent. this was the first video I found... check out the combinations at 2:25 and 3:30. Maybe somebody could convince @ShaftBrewer to put together a video of these two???

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  24. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Based on those highlights, it looks like the whole team showed more chemistry than we showed in 2019. Bunch of 18 year olds running around and they looked slicker than we have in a while. Sarachan was never taken seriously and there were ups and downs in 2018 for sure, but I forgot how much a breath of fresh air all of those youngsters were coming on the heels of the Couva disaster.

nobody and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  25. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    On the heels of Couva, AND after 2 years of Egg and his MLS all-stars.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Weah this next season. I tend to ignore him because he's just never available, but you can't argue with a 10m transfer. Teams don't just pay those out on an 18 year old for nothing. That and a couple nice passes with the U20s and the senior team is all I really have to go on right now. Hope he can stay healthy and get some minutes. League 1 seems a pretty decent spot for him, with no language barries and a seemingly good path to lots of minutes.

jjmack repped this.