Timmy Howard (Player of The Year)

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Super Metro, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Super Metro

Super Metro New Member

Aug 2, 1999
    New York City
    I was just reading the list of candidades this year for the Honda player of the year award and in my opinion no doubt Tim Howard should get it, for what he's done for MLS, the USMNT and our sport. The winner will be announced on Sept. 16th

http://ussoccerplayers.com/latest_soccer_news/383003.html

2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. Love Timmy, but Carlos had a better year for the USMNT, and just as good of year in MLS. It's debatable whether Tim going to Manu has done anything for the sport (other than get MLS more money -- which is important).

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Starting for ManU... That more than gave MLS a modest transfer fee. It gives it credibility and establishes the league as a definite route to bigger and better things.

It piques the interest of fans worldwide, who might give MLS a gander when it's on t.v. (if ever). More than likely, MLS games will get a better time slot in the UK b/c of this.

This makes MLS a stronger option for quality players from smaller countries w/o a formidable national league.

Tim Howard's starting for the biggest club in the world is manumental.

4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubtful more fans worldwide will watch the MLS because Tim plays for Manu. Do more people watch the Brazilian league because of all of the Brazilians playing in Europe?

Somewhat, but not stronger than Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, France, and Holland. Africans are still going to go Europe. Central American and South Americans are still going to go to Argentina and Mexico (better play, money, and same language).

It's a step. Building upon the foundation Keller, Freidal, Reyna, Harkes, Job, and others have started...

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who votes for this thing anyway? If it's just another internet popularity contest, Donovan might easily win again.

On the other hand, if it's writers, coaches and whoever else "important" in the soccer world, either Carlito or Timmay is a good choice.

6. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Friedel. Hands down, in my opinion. 'Keeper of the year' in the EPL. That's more than Timmy has accomplished. If ManUtd had a choice of Timmy or Brad for the same price, who do you think they would have picked?

7. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Absolutely. They watch to see who the next Ronaldinho will be. And that's why ppl watch the Dutch league, b/c it is a testing ground for the big 4 in Euro. And that's why MLS is starting (emphasis on starting) to get a sprinkling of attention: to see who the next Keller, Freidel, Howard, Reyna will be.

8. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If its just play for the Nats, then I think Bocanegra should get it. Good defense plus a nice offensive contribution.

If it takes in account effort at the club level as well, then it becomes a race between Bocanegra, Howard and Donovan. It just depends on their form during the rest of the club season. Howard played well with the Nats (although limitedly), and well for the Metrostars and has ManU in his favor. Bocanegra I think has had some rough stretches in MLS this year. Donovan has the name recognition, and as a forward could wind up putting up offensive numbers that are hard to ignore in MLS down the stretch.

But in the end I think if club play is considered Man U will trump the other factors and it will be Howard.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Brad had a fantastic season in the EPL, but he didn't play a game for the USMNT this year, which makes it harder to vote for him, even though we only had the Confederations Cup, and the Gold Cup this year, I have to go with Boca.

10. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article states that the media picks the winner.
    That would, I assume, mean print as well as broadcast.

11. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe (until he gets benched), but does this make him the player of the year?

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Re: Re: Timmy Howard (Player of The Year)

The answer to this is a resounding YES!!

Getting transferred to Sunderland is a step. Getting transferred to the most popular team in the world is a leap!