Timmy and Donovan don't walk alone: Merseyside Derby 2/6, 7:45am

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by YankatOxford, Feb 5, 2010.

1. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Sometimes in the interest of balance one has to make arguments that appear partisan (e.g. when a poster has made claims with inconsistencies that are wide of the mark). That said, the argument was entirely "fact" based, but anyone is free to point out an inaccuracy.

After rereading your post three times, I'm still not clear what it means. Can someone enlighten me?

2. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Maugham - I think he was using your argument as a ref point back to the original controversial post. I do not think he was arguing with you, but rather highlighting your post to agree with it.

That's how I read it, anyway.

3. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Thanks. Thought that might be the case but couldn't be sure.

4. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Yep, but like I said unless their the result of pace, clever, etc play drawing FKs and PKs means squat.

Michael Owen and Andy Johnson to name two players were really good at drawing PKs (even if sometimes they got close to diving). Altidore as in my example I didn't see that (at leats in the particualr incident I was talking about), more he just happened to be the player who was on the receiving end of a silly foul.

Though that said Donovan's pace and dribbling abilty will draw FKs and PKs and in the very last game he drew FK in a dangerous postion as he was taken done cynically whilst making a nice goalward run.

No doubt Everton will buy him if the price is right, you don't turn down a player who you can be 100% sure that they add something to your 1st team. For me it's just how hard the MLS are going to try and keep him if there's no buyout clause.