Time to test the smoke detectors: We need a new manager!

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Dirt McGirt, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: The Annual New Manager Speculation Thread-v2008

annnnd since Kemsley is/was a huge 'Arry Redknapp fan from his Spuds days the butt buddies' opinion may have managed to sway Ashley.

It proves the adage: Friends are a more corrupting influence than money or enemies...

2. HoosierToon

HoosierToon New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Hoboken
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's your old friend Trackman20......I forgot my old password and stuff so I just figured I'd start fresh.

ANYWAYS:

If they hire Harry, can we begin an independent search for the next manager to be named about 8 months from now?

3. Crazy Man Michael

Mar 9, 2006
    Stroudsburg, PA

BBC News, October 10, 2008, "Alan Shearer has emereged as the favorite to replace axed manager Harry Redknapp at Newcastle. Former Liverpool Manager Rafael Benitez has also been selected by bookies as a high favorite as has, suprisingly, Sam Allardyce, who suprised the football world by leading Wolverhampton into the Premiership through the playoff system after taking over Wolves in February. Mike Ashley has been quoted by a friend as saying, 'if I hire Sam myself then I will feel it appropriate to give him the time he will need to repair the club.'

4. ZoomVT

ZoomVT Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Vermont
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

FORMER liverpool manager?

EDIT. Nevermind. just saw the date. wouldnt be a bad deal. it is a lost season anyway

5. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think I am going to be sick. Shearer appreantly wants to manage Newcastle now. Nothing like tarnishing a legacy.

Choosing between Shearer and Ol'Arry as our next manager is like choosing between Sunderland and Boro.

6. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Money Quote of the day:

7. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Redknapp elects to stay with Pompey

At first I was excited but then I realized that Shearer will be our next manager and I guess I'm alright with that because I want to get that over with sooner rather than later.

8. ottoman

ottoman Member

Nov 30, 1998
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey

During the summer transfer window, Mike buys club, Mike ponders whether or not to keep ousted chairman, Freddy Sheppard’s appointee Sam Allardyce. Result, Allardyce is force to purchase second and third choice players.

January transfer window, United players leave the club to participate in the nation’s cup and Sam demands four new players. Sam gets sacked and the club cannot participate in the transfer market until a new manager (Shearer?) is appointed.

Prediction, Mike realizes he made a mistake sacks his January appointment and the club cannot participate in the transfer market until a new manager is appointed.

The owner of this club is inept at best, but I suspect that the truth is much more sinister.

9. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Memo to Mr. Ashley: You don't know what you're doing!

10. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

Prediction: Jol.

Don't care if he's not British.

11. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Really I find this line of thinking stupid.

Please someone tell where the hell do you get ANY inclination, other than your TPS fevered brains, its even remotely Shearer?

The media? 'Cause they look pretty foolish as well.

On line? yes every hack with a keyboard can tell you what you biggest fear is..

We are so rabidly ready to pillory, sack and burn the Witch -er Owner- over signing 'Arry, that we are looking like sorry mugs for thinking it and we fall right into the narrative and stereotype of a typical NUFC fan.

It hasn't been handled with the élan and aplomb that we would wish from MAbut for god sakes step away from teh ledge and stop measuring rope, your only depressed for fooks sake

12. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

So far the only thing I support is to wait till after Euro 2008 and make an appointment then. We can assess the pool at that point and I'm sure there will be a few more available. I sure as hell don't want those who are being linked to us at the moment, and I think its pretty painfully obvious our season is over. We will not be relegated, but we will not finish in a European spot, unless we really pull in a magic maker and even then its unlikely. So I don't see why we just don't give the rest of the season to Pearson and go from there.

13. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Honestly, after today's match, if I got a call from Cort or Ashley, I'm looking at the caller ID and walking away. What manager in their right mind would subject themselves to this bullshit?:mad:

14. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

[​IMG]

Why, Ray Hudson of course!

Thx,

Jay!

15. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL he'd at least teach them how to play "thee Ovahlap!"

16. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Firing Big Sam to get Harry was stupid. Hiring Alan Shearer is inevitable and I want to get it over with asap. That or he'll be looming over the club until it does happen and to be honest I'm sick of it.

17. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pearson wants swift appointment

18. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

I just don't see a suitable replacement. If Harry is seriously our first choice, how can our second choice be a good one? He will certainly be worse than Big Sam. So why not wait till after Euro 2008?

I just don't see a manager of top quality wanting to come into this situation right now. The Jan transfer window is impossible to get everything you want done. So basically he is coming in recognizing that he will be under severe pressure from the start(I mean we did just fire Sam after only a few months), and likely won't get anything out of this season. At least if we wait till the summer it can be a complete revamping. I don't know, I just don't want to see a stupid appointment just for the sake of an appointment and then we are stuck with another moron for a year until his time is up

19. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, we have to hire someone. Pearson doesn't want a long-term job and I don't think that the players will start to improve until the situation. <TPS>Kind of ironic that Sam may get us relegated after all via his dismissal if things don't pick up.</TPS>

20. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

I just wrote this to True Faith:

So, we've come off one of the worst defeats we've had in a long time. It seemed evident to me that after the first goal was scored we'd fall apart(and especially after the second). It's hard to fault the lads, they've been in a very tough position as of late. They will all be wondering what is ahead for the club, and contemplating on what already seems like a lost season. To go to Man United at this point in this season was always going to be a very difficult task, and they fought hard until that second goal. It's always the worst feeling in the world coming away from Old Trafford with a loss. What we can take pride from though, is that aside from Alan Smith, we don't have the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney and Ferdinand crying every match. Ronaldo may be a class player, but he still continues to sicken me with acting like a complete twat.

Anyways, now we are managerless and in another period of transition. To fire BSA for Harry seemed like an atrocious decision to me, but what scares me even more is the possibility of our second choice. If Harry was our first, who could possibly be our second choice? He can't possibly have any quality as a manager. At this point how can we attract a top manager? We've sacked our last one after only a few months in charge. This demonstrates a few things to prospective managers. #1) There will always be enormous pressure on you, no matter how realistic this pressure actually is. #2) There will not be a hesitation to sack you if you aren't an IMMEDIATE success. In all honesty, can we really deny that this has to be the main reason Harry has turned us down? Basically, he looks at Pompey, where he's built a quality squad and has the full support of fans and board alike, and then he looks at Newcastle where we will immediately demand success. He sees this could crush his career, as it has with 2 out of the last 3(and who knows what will happen to Sam). We must also realize its January, any manager that comes in will not be able to fully implement the changes he wants. So he knows he is coming into an almost impossible situation.

So what's my suggestion? Well, our season is pretty much shot. We aren't reaching Europe, and we aren't being relegated. Our FA Cup hopes have taken a huge dent by having to travel to Ashburton, and it is very unlikely we will come away with a result from that match. So basically we have pride left to play for. But, with the lack of a suitable replacement at this point, I suggest we wait till the summer to appoint a new manager. After Euro 2008 there should be a bunch of quality managers looking for a job and our situation will have at least cooled down a bit. The new manager can be promised a certain amount of transfer kitty, and can implement all the changes he wants with the club. The board will have to ease the pressure, at least for the next season.

Now, if we do find a suitable replacement very soon, then I say let's go for it. But the last thing I want to happen is we replace BSA with someone worse, let him have a horrid season this year and revamp the squad only to find out that he has done nothing come this time next year and again go through this process. Swift, rash, harsh, stupid, those all describe the appointments and dismissals under Freddy, let's hope this does not continue with the new regime.

Keep the faith, we need it more then ever.

Colin Herbst

21. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

TD, while I agree that our current situation is awful, a stupid appointment isn't going to help it. And then it would hurt our long-term ambitions. For me, if we find a suitable replacement quickly, lets do it, if not lets wait.

22. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We need the right man for the job. It's not Harry and It's not Shearer. If it takes time to get it right then we need to take that time. My hope is that Mort and Ashley are getting good consul at the moment (not that Spurs reject) and are expanding that search to include some continental coaches.

23. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

I don't see 'Arry as being "first choice", according to the club statement. It doesn't say an offer was made, just that they talked to Redknapp and he declined interest. At this point, I'd rather have someone like the drunk sitting next to him on the bench than another sextagenarian at the helm of the club.

Thx,

Jay!

24. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You we're wrong about Harry weren't you. Get over yourself Shakespeare.:rolleyes: Fat Ashley made 'Arry an offer and he turned us down.

Now the Daily mail has us linked to Keegan and Shearer dream team. :mad: This may or may not be true and since this is the speculation thread you may want to find yourself a thread that doesn't not include speculation in the title if you have a problem with it. I said in the first post that I'll be posting all manner of web rumors in this thread.

25. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm officially starting a rumor that Chris Mort called me in regards to the open vacancy. I get special dispensation for the Uefa badges due to being American. >.>