Time to kick the Caribbean nations out of CONCACAF

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by shooter6065, May 9, 2011.

1. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'll admit it. I have had enough of Jack Warner running CONCACAF through his power base of Caribbean islands. Antigua and Barbuda and the Turks & Caicos would barely even qualify as towns inside of Mexico,the United States or Canada. His time is over and he should be thankful he is not in prison.

So here is my proposal:

Get rid of Warner and the Caribbean islands and let Slappy Jack form his own corrupt Caribbean union.

Here is how it will look. The new CONCACAF will have 10 teams and qualifying for the World Cup will be like South American qualifying with a single set up of home and away games between the nations. Which nations? The ones that are not run by the Pirate of the Caribbean.

Canada
    USA
    Mexico
    Guatemala
    Belize
    Honduras
    El Salvador
    Nicaragua
    Costa Rica
    Panama

Gold Cup groupings can be figured out later and the Gold Cup will only be held once every 4 years.

This 10 team set up is neat, tidy and best of all we don't have to listen to some venal clown down in Trinidad.

2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Good luck finding another confederation to take them off our hands.

3. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They will make their own confederation. God knows there are enough islands to make one up. Jack can have the whole Caribbean basin to lord over.

4. StevenTacle

StevenTacle New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jack Warner leaving CONCACAF and making an island confederation = 20%
    FIFA accepting the new confederation = 0%
    Adding more teams to the FIFA world cup = 10%
    Money decrease he will get = Priceless
    Point is: He won't even dare to move to another Confederation with the $$$ he is getting.

5. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not go for the whole shebang and put Jack in charge of the Islands of Oceania and the Caribbean? Just a few time zone issues involved.

6. MassYank

MassYank New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not fair to Trinidad Tobago or Jamaica... To me, they do provide some competition and have some pretty talented players.

However after that you're right. It's a pretty massive dropoff

7. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My point is he won't have the choice. We tell all the crony Caribbeans that they are no longer part of a confederation that includes the 10 countries mentioned. The 10 countries simply split, like Mexico is rumored to be doing to CONCACAF. I think Mexico has had enough and the USA definitely has.

Mexico and the USA provide the financial muscle. It is time for Mexico and the USA to have the political muscle.

8. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That is not our problem. It is the price that has to be paid for supporting Warner.

9. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    if there was any way to do it that would be great. If they got a full spot, leaving us 2.5, that would be a good deal for the big islands. But it would suck for the central american countries and probably would result in missing the world cup for us occassionally. If the new islands confed only got the half spot they would have no hope. The real reform would be to have some version of wieghted voting. Its nuts that Antigua gets the same voting weight as the U.S.

I think the stresses between the big clubs and FIFA and UEFA will eventually mean some reform, and I hope Gulati is thinking ahead and planning how to make Concacaf better when there is an opening.

10. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I'd love to see is all the English-speaking island nations forming a single federation, like the West Indies in cricket. It could instantly make CONCACAF a lot more competitive - a combined West Indies team might immediately be on par with the stronger Central American teams. Of course, Warner would never go for that, because he'd lose all his votes.

11. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there precedent under FIFA rules for such a move?

I mean, what would prevent places like San Marino, Luxembourg, and Malta following suit saying "we're too small to compete on our own so we'll form one national team?"

I know it's just an impossible hypothetical, but seriously I don't see how the Caribbean countries could pull that off.

13. SocaWarrior23

SocaWarrior23 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    College Park MD
    Two things
    1)Jamaica & Trinidad don't need to join with anybody to be competitive look at
    the records, Jamaica did well in the last pre hex, beating all those teams that you guys think they would need a merger to compete with. And we had a poor hex because of poor management and aging players it happens to all countries non U.S and Mexico.

2)Believe me we hate warner as much as you guys do for all the good hes done for us he has destroyed our football program since the world cup. Also ima let you guys in on a secret nobody likes Warner more than Gulati and the Mex prez. They are guaranteed money, world cup places and are very comfortable with Warner being there. They like what he does for their federations.

So before you guys start throwing us out of our mutual federation why dont you guys throw your our representative out of his seat then you may start to see some changes.

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CFU countries have gotten two teams in the last four World Cups (Jamaica in 1998 and Trinidad and Tobago in 2006). One of these was during the first two of those World Cups when CONCACAF got 3 teams and the other was during the second two when CONCACAF got 3.5 teams. I don't think the CFU would deserve a whole spot.

15. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Give them a .5 slot and tell them to hit the bricks.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would not be Concacaf, It would be called CONCA.

They do not want to do that, there is a thread about it in the Concacaf forum somewhere, most don't like the idea.

1. If you are Belize or Salvador; what do you prefer?

A) A 10 team Confederation with 3 spots, where two spots will be taken by the USA and Mexico, so really 8 teams for 1 spot

Or

B) A 25 team confederation where the top teams are Jamaica and T&T for 1 World cup spot.

2. Does anyone remember the reason why CONCACAF was formed? More spots to the WC.

If there is a split I have a feeling that CAF would keep the 1/2 spot, but the CONCA would not get 3 spots, more likely we would get 2.5 at most with the other half going somewhere else. (As punishment by FIFA, especially if Blater wins again).

Amen to that, it is easier to blame an outsider (or the ref) than to blame your team.

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you.

So many people who don't get this.

18. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have wondered about this too. I always assumed that the Caribbean power base prevented the US or Mexico from taking a more dominant role.

19. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo.
    Anything to get out from under Jack Warner.
    I have a feeling the shit is about to hit the fan with Fifa and these allegations coming out of the English Parliament. Anything is possible.

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only shit that'll hit the fan is FIFA punishing the Home Associations for "governmental interference".

21. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    Don't think fifa will suspend the English F.A. regardless of how much "government interference" goes on. I still believe that if England,Spain,Italy and Germany collectively left fifa then the whole stack of cards would come crashing down on Warners noggin.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    30 reasons

Anguilla
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Aruba
    Bahamas
    Barbados
    Bermuda
    British Virgin Islands
    Cayman Islands
    Cuba
    Curaçao
    Dominica
    Dominican Republic
    French Guiana
    Grenada
    Guadeloupe
    Guyana
    Haiti
    Jamaica
    Martinique
    Montserrat
    Puerto Rico
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Saint Lucia
    Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
    Saint-Martin
    Sint Maarten
    Suriname
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    U.S. Virgin Islands

1) The US/Mexico, etc. are powerless in CONCACAF against the Caribe voting block. We could get a couple of them to side with us, particularly Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, etc. But the rest are in the pocket of Warner.

2) Sepp Blatter and Warner would never allow Mexico and the US to leave CONCACAF. Sepp needs Warner to continue his role with CONCACAF.......because Sepp needs those CONCACAF votes to remain FIFA Prez. And as such Sepp wouldn't let the big-monied CONCACAF federations leave his buddy Warner's control.

3) People might suggest that Sunil disavow Warner and expose him as a crook, etc. What good does that do us really? Warner will remain head of CONCACAF, and will then be a very powerful enemy. We'd feel better about ourselves, but really wouldn't get ourselves anywhere productive.

23. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I hate Jack Warner, this post nails it.

Mexico and the US will NEVER leave CONCACAF. Staying in our current federation assures us a WC berth every four years. Not to mention that the USSF makes a TON of money having the GC staged here every two years.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm of the opinion that if the US and Mexico joined CONMEBOL to make a 12 team confederation with 6 or 6.5 slots, the US' chances of missing a World Cup would barely decrease.
    I doubt it's THAT much money. And I wonder if the Fed would do better hosting Argentina and Brazil once every 4 years, not to mention hosting the occasional Copa Americas.

25. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    That's highly debatable. Even assuming that the US is in general one of the 6 or 7 most talented teams in your revised grouping (and I certainly think you could make that case), there are just too many roughly comparable teams competing for a limited number of spots for us to have anywhere near the kind of security we have at this point in time. Just consider that all of the 5 teams that most recently qualified from CONMEBOL outperformed the US and Mexico in this past World Cup, and this was one of our stronger showings (albeit probably one of their stronger showings as well).

Here's how I'd break it down: CONCACAF currently have 0 elite teams and 2 second tier teams competing for 3.5 slots. In your proposed scenario, CONMEBOL would have 2 elite teams and IMO 7 second tier teams competing for 6 or 6.5 spots. That would leave (just as their format already does) at least two teams roughly (if not exactly) comparable to ours on the outside looking in at the end of each cycle. Even CONMEBOL's bottom teams are probably comparable to Honduras and Costa Rica and could threaten for a spot every odd cycle.