Time to ditch red shirts for US Nats fans?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by eurojack, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Have to? Have to? Nahhh... It's strictly voluntary.

2. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, I think we should wear what the team wears, but that would send you to the poor house. We need guys in the parking lots selling cheap knockoff US jerseys the way the Guatemalans and Hondurans do.

3. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry Nancy, but apparently this is way too complicated for American soccer fans to figure out. A few years ago someone decided it would be red, and it shall be red forevermore. A grand tradition. Even if we all have to buy the women's red jersey, like Andy Mead.

4. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    If there were 8,000 USA fans that were fanatic enough to sing songs and hang banners and/or stars 'n' stripes flags like England's fans did in Soldier Field, then USA would have a presence in the stands.

If anyone has a radical idea on how USA can ditch the red shirts idea and make the fans more pro-active (other than waiting forty years and several generations of fans for this to become ingrained), I'm all ears.

5. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the England game was probably quite educational for the US folks in attendance. The banners they hung were amazing and I think the US people need to take that hint.

6. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, but they werent wearing red because of the sams army pushing everyone to wear red. They were wearing red because that is the color Real Salt Lake wears.

7. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure about that. There was quite a lot of pub about wearing red to the game. I'm sure that some people just killed two birds with one stone by wearing their Real gear. I'm also sure that it helped because many of those people that didn't hear wore their Real gear too.

8. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I searched my closet before going to SLC for a red shirt. I only knew that I was supposed to wear red from this thread. I would have worn blue or maybe white to match the US uniform colors.

9. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Monarch - enjoyed meeting you and your son Zach, I mean Seth. :D

10. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    i don't know that this is correct. just because someone decided this a few years ago, doesn't mean that it is forevermore. the fact is that many want to wear the jersey that the team is wearing, and they're going to do so. and, despite the comments of some, these people are no less US fans. a fan in a white jersey draped in a US flag looks as supportive of the team as anyone else, in my opinion.

the goal should be to have as many people in the same color as possible, not to have as many in red as possible. if that means "switching" colors, then the tradition ought to be done away with and perhaps the color ought to be decided in a more democratic manner.

no disrespect meant to the "red" supporters, the righteousness of this just kills me at times.

11. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm probably going to wear the team jersey from now on. It's pretty safe that the white one will be it, so I'll wear it. I guess that means I buy a jersey a year.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we switch them now to match our opinions, then some people won't get the idea until years later when we'll have switched again to match future opinions.

We're not Nike. A color scheme has been chosen, and it's going to be stuck to.

If people want to wear else, fine, it's your perogative, just keep in mind that you might stick out.

13. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blech,

Peruse my two previous posts on this thread.
    Then you will understand my remarks were sarcastic.
    Reading is fundamental.

14. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    well, everyone else states opinions without reading... :)
    sorry, i read through the posts quickly, and didn't connect you with them. looking at them again, it looks like we're on the same page!

the scary thing about your sarcasm, as reflected by many other posts in this thread, is that many people actually think that way. good or bad, it has been decided, so you must follow....

interesting point - do the people who think that "red" is our color since it was chosen years ago believe that it is wrong to force the "goals, goals, goals" song on us?

15. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And like the Costa Rican supporters. There was a guy at my hotel (Marriott @ U of U - thanks Joe!) who was hawking his knockoff Tico jersies Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday late morning, Saturday noon, Saturday afternoon, Saturday at the stadium, Saturday well after midnight while I got back to the hotel stumble drunk after celebrating our win, Sunday morning (day after match), Sunday late morning, and even as he jumped into the airport shuttle. Apparently he was THE MAN for the CR supporters, as they all knew who he was and asked about him when he wasn't visible. He sold a lot of jersies to his compadres, who all wore them.

(nancyb, Nice meeting you and your daughter at the tailgate.)

16. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blech,

I always wear the blue Copa America 95 jersey. In my opinion it's the best they've ever designed.

I never liked the red shirt for France 98. Anyway, it was rapidly discarded after that ill-fated tournament. It's time for the supporters to move on too.

17. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    the blue Copa America '95? nice selection, and clearly nothing unsupportive or unAmerican about that! ... no matter what anyone else says on these boards...

i like the current white jersey draped with a US flag. well, basically anything draped with a flag looks good to me. perhaps we could agree that everyone can wear any color shirt they want as long as they also are carrying a large US flag (minimum of 3'x5')?

by the way, in looking at the photos i had of the game from my section, there was a lot of blue and a lot of white. a fair amount of red as well, but certainly not the dominant color.

18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I wear red....

eventually it will be in vogue again

19. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

of course for everyone who brings up the red shirt as bad luck, someone reminds the boards that we lost both WC games wearing blue... :rolleyes:

20. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dirt, Go to page 3 of the thread, halfway down the page, and tell me what color the shirt is.
    Looks like a 70s leisure suit.

21. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the compromise should be wear the jersey the team's wearing or wear red. No one should be dissed for being in the supporters' section wearing the team's jersey no matter what color it is.