Time to demand an American style of play!

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by jcrocker, Jun 24, 2006.

1. jcrocker

jcrocker Member

Jun 1, 1999
    Springboro, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its time for American soccer fans to expect and demand that the new regime play the American style of soccer. We supposedly play a combination of European and South American style, combining direct and indirect play. But as i have watched the USMNT devolve under BA over the last 4 years, it seems we tried to change our style to match our competition rather than find the pieces to play the American way.

The most disappointing thing about this WC was that the US played not to lose. We played to keep the games close. We employed a defense first mentality, 4-5-1, but never showed a determination to counter attack. We lacked pride, confidence, and the American will to win and that is what upsets me the most. We could have tipped the scales on our competition by going after them as Landon claimed in 2002, "We weren't in awe of anyone." But the 2006 version looked like they never believed they could win.

Everyone praises the Dutch, Brazilians, Germans, Mexicans, and English for playing the game their way. They each have a style that is familiar to their fans. If the Dutch didn't play a 4-3-3 fans would be shocked! If England wasn't launching missles into the PK box fans would claim they were imposters. In order to take the next step in our development we need to rise up and elevate our game.

I don't think the AMERICAN style of play is about technique, tactics, or fitness, IT'S A MENTALITY!! We are the Clint Eastwoods of the world! We should walk onto the field, like Reggie Hamlin in 48 hours, like we own the place. When we step on the field the other team should know they are in for the game of their lives. We may not have a team of Lampards or Ronaldinhos but we can have a team of Dempseys, players with skill and heart!

What is the American style of play? It's players who attack with pace and aggressiveness. It's players who tackle hard and never back down to a challenge. Its players who refuse to roll around on the field faking an injury. Its the willingness to work hard on defense to pressure the other team into making mistakes. It's going forward with a sense of urgency, never giving the other team a chance to breathe. It's playing with passion and pride all the time.

When i turn on the tv, i see 11 players wearing the shirt, MY SHIRT, and I live and die with those men. I am tired of watching us get pushed around. I don't want to see us blaming the refs for the outcome of the game. If the USMNT is going to go down, then go down fighting. Screw the press: Eddie Johnson was RIGHT! The Italy game was a war and I loved it! We got dirty, bloody, and screwed, but we never stopped playing hard, we refused to lose. That is what got the fans excited, we "SEIZED THE DAY". The USMNT IS AMERICA on the world stage, they represent all of us, and I expect them to play like it!

2. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    bump after mod approval

3. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    I agree 100%. This mentality would have been great this tourney.

Are you goint to let BA manage this team? Are you going to let Landycakes and DMB play on it?

4. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think one hallmark of our play should be the "no stretchers, no little girl antics."

Other teams should see us as some hard-ass MFs. Not thugs - just guys with some serious attitude.

Every player should have the look Gooch did when he stared down Borghetti in C-bus.

5. Mistake

Mistake New Member

Jun 13, 2006

Goodbye Freddie Adu.