Time to change playoff system again?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Allamerican74, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    I just read this article about some playoff change ideas http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intID=38286168

and it had some good points. I don't agree with the final conclusions though.

One thing I would say is that there needs to be fewer teams that make the playoffs so it puts some kind of pressure to have a good record. Maybe just 3 in each division make it with 2 and 3 battling it in home v home aggregates to play the number one team. That's just an idea. I just feel that having fewer teams qualifying for the playoffs would be good.

2. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    The idea has been mentioned before...you basically have the diehards that are hell bent on awarding the regular season a champion of anything, others that are against the home and away concept, and still others that are against using any other idea but theirs.

BTW...there is already a thread in the MLS-News and Analysis page, so .....

....MODERATOR...do your job... :D

3. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Sorry about that...yeah Mod put me over there!!

4. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This issue has been brought up so many times, and different people have different opinions. I peronally don't care what format is used as long as its meaningful and fair.

My suggestions:
    • 1. Make MLS cup and MLS League two different tournaments. --OR--
    • keep the play-off, 3 clubs from each conference with the conference champs getting a bye. Both quarterfinals and semifinals will be home-and-home series, and MLS cup will be one game in nuetral zone. --OR--
    • Play two seasons in one year. At the end of the year, the two winners play home-and-home championship series. (Problem: too long)