Time to Call the Ticket (Calling Sturm)...

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by paladius, Jan 12, 2007.

1. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we should organize a nice, polite phone call marathon to the ticket to point out that...

On the day that Becks makes his splash,

...Rich Phillips refers to David Beckham joining the "spare" MLS!

...(Ahem) Isn't FC Dallas helping to pay that idiot's salary as a major advertiser?

Isn't FC Dallas a significant part of MLS?

Shouldn't the programming manager know that this shows tremendous disrespect to one of their advertisers?

...Or Bob, could you just tell Rich to lay off?:)

2. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Bob doesn't even like mls.

3. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Hey, Paladius, the Ticket PAYS money to the Cowboys and they still rip them regularly. I don't think you are going to convince them to stop ripping FCD and MLS because they are sponsors.

4. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    They are the station of the Cowboys and they rip them all the time. Good luck with your phone calls.

5. Toffee85

Toffee85 New Member

Dec 6, 2006
    Rich Phillips does play by play for the SMU Mustang Football team and listens to death metal.

Irony is him opening his mouth.

Save your breath.

6. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not entirely true, in his defense.

He stated yesterday that he is an unabashed sports snob, and it applies to all sports.

He said he won't watch ACC football because the conference isn't the best, and the same applies to all his sports.

I think he'll come around now that we just signed Edgar Freaking Davids!!!

Sturm's an okay guy, and he's not anti-MLS. He's just been waiting for MLS to raise the bar, which it is in the process of doing.

:)

7. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I bet that Junior Miller got a talking to this week for pissing off Jerry Jones. Sure, the segment was funny as hell and it ended up winning "emergency brake of the week" awards (Jerry has now been a co-winner four times!), but they're smart enough to know that if they cross the line too many times with 'Ol Smiley, something serious could hit the fan and heads could roll (Remember Brad Sham?).

(Craig had asked Jerry if he was going to honor a bonus clause in T.O.'s contract, and the question sent Jerry over the moon!):cool:

8. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Yeah, I was listening "LIVE".....it was AWESOME!!!! Regardless, they won't stop pulling punches when it comes to the Cowboys, nor will they when it comes to any team in town. MLS and FCD have to earn the respect, not buy it through sponsorship deals.

9. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Sturm reads these boards and he's ok for the most part....it's that schtick idiot he works with thats the problem....( bet anything his wife is banging some other bloke whenever he's on the air) that and the two baseball morons that work the afternoon shift....

10. tornado fan

tornado fan Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Sham was on the Cowboys' payroll. Big difference.

FC Dallas is hardly a "major" advertiser on the ticket.

11. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe.

But Sturm's posting about it in his blog.

One post on Beckham and the other on Davids.

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/

12. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never understood how Dan McDowell's managed to last so long on the Ticket.

I used to listen a bit to "BaD Radio", but Dan's whining and soccer bashing drove me away years ago.

13. bvolt3000

bvolt3000 New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Nashville
    i am a huge bob and dan fanatic (especially bob)
    fc dallas sponsors everything on that station and bob is a soccer fan and i think yeah we need an fc segment on that show specifically

14. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dan used to be funny, but now he's just a lazy wise-ass who doesn't do his homework.

Sturm is a hard-working pro who will end up loving MLS, given time. The fact that he hasn't totally bought into MLS up until now gives him some credibility for not being a schill, as they like to say on the Ticket.

On the other hand, I bet a million bucks that if Davids signs, Sturm will come out to the games.

15. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob Sturm comes to games all the time. About half the season if I had to guess.

16. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    Yeah, I have seen him a couple of times out there. I don't think he comes as often as he used to, but he still comes.

I think Bob tells it how it is. He loves soccer, but is just as harsh on the quality of play in MLS as most others who watch a lot of European soccer are. They haven't seen the game a lot in person, and exagerate the difference, but they know there is a difference.

If Davids gets Sturm out to more games and gets him pumped and talking about FCD, I think it is safe to say that he represents the viewpoint of the so called "eurosnob". So it is important to read his vibe on the issue.

17. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Buzz: What do you think the odds are that Davids end up in a Hoops uniform this season?

18. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    odds... hum....

55/45 just above a coin flip that he comes to Dallas.

19. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buzz, you're not the person who when told he had a "one in a million chance" of going out with a beautiful woman replied "so I have a chance, then?"?

Just kidding. 55/45 works for me. Pretty encouraging for an MLS team in the middle of America trying to pull in one of soccer's biggest names.

Clark Hunt for Mayor of Frisco if we pull this off.

(And I've still got my goggles ready for the games)

20. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Sweet, so you're giving him a chance....(dumb and dumber) What do you see are the potential stumbling blocks? I read somewhere that he hasn't been playing much at all this season and wasn't even on the subs bench at their last game.

21. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest stumbling block is the other deals he may have on the table, relative to how much HSG is willing to spend.

It will be important for FCD, IMO, to show the class facilities and the nice living situation in Dallas to get him. I doubt FCD can out bid the other suiters that may be out there. A "you're going to be the MAN here" approach is also going to help, rather than a possible role player spot at some EPL club.

22. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sturm is a Sports Bully that takes himself to effing serious. He forgets at times that his job is to entertain. Clowns have the same job. Dan has not forgotten.

23. sturm1310

sturm1310 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    Dallas
    I disagree.

I remember, I am just not good at it.

Bob

24. nutella

nutella Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Plateau
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you pretty good at it mate. The other fellow Dan Hokey-Dokey, he's not the full quid if you ask me.

25. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    now I know you're a fan of "fist fights on skates performed by drunk Canadians" but riddle me this batman....

1) Why the f does ice hockey get 20 times the coverage of soccer when the average attendance and TV ratings are about the same...?? (trust me if you talked regularly (once a week?) about soccer many on these boards would tune in and participate....

2) Why the f does NO ONE on the ticket bash any sport other than soccer...?

My theory is that deep down they are a little concerned about soccer being a threat to their all American sports....whereas other "non mainstream" sports aren't....they realise the global implications of the game and like to do anything in their limited power to slow down the inevitable....