Time for yet another "Mass Shooting" thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jan 11, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I'm sure we can cut that figure by 50% if only people would stop making toast while bathing. :ninja:

Timon19 repped this.
  2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Awww...how sweet!

3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Unduly punish them for making legal products! Yay!

4. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I thought MiTH's comment was very much in line with the one in the lower left corner? Granted, he didn't say "everyone should be armed", he said "all content creators should be armed", but I'd argue the gist remains the same.

5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Dunno. This
    ...doesn't sound all that similar to the lower left, but whatever.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whose Line Is It Anyway?

7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What is the tax and what are the weapons?

8. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the basis behind using market forces to achieve socially desirable outcomes, yes.

Here's the problem. We have a large segment of our society that ignores the basic scientific consensus that says more guns leads to more gun deaths. So until we can all agree with the scientific consensus, we are going to have a problem finding remedies. Once you reach the conclusion that guns lead to gun deaths, the solutions to reducing gun deaths are as follows:

1) Change the incentives of producers
    2) Change the incentives of consumers

You and I agree that changing the incentives to consumers and producers by banning drugs has been an abject failure. The market approach to reducing drug use would be to change incentives by increasing or decreasing prices. Why is this a bad approach?

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had a political process that wasn't broken, I imagine we would decide as a society which weapons we could do without. If I were the dictator, I'd be fine with discerning which weapons were ideal for hunting and taxing the rest. The tax would be sufficiently high to make their manufacture unprofitable for any firm.

If you have a problem with the study's methodology, you must present an alternative. A ball is a neutral object. If you can think of a control group alternative to a ball, please let me know.

Secondly, If you agree with the scientific consensus regarding gun ownership and gun deaths, then increasing gun access will decrease, on average, individuals' access to their natural rights, i.e. their right to live. If you do not agree with the scientific consensus, there is very little point in continuing our discussion. I am very much prone to resorting to ad hominem attacks when people abandon a centuries-old accepted practice of using reason to suit their political purposes, and I generally respect your input on the subject too much to do so.

12. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Well I was referring to his initial post which was much more assertive about it:

I just wanted to point out that indeed it seems at least one of those four vignettes found its way into this thread, but that's really neither here nor there, so like you said, whatever.

13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "Unduly?"

"Punish?"

Seems like rhetoric more than reality?

I mean, I get that you mostly object to the use of taxation for social engineering, but that's pretty extreme...

14. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    American Brummie said:
    I don't think it would be very difficult (in a world without the NRA's lobbying arm) to place an exorbitantly high tax on the manufacture of certain weapons. You purport to be a libertarian; is the desire to kill other people as quickly as possible that inelastic?

$1000 per firearm.....that way poor crazy people would be hampered. Now, on the other hand (5 fingers), wealthy crazy people would have a clear field!

15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The manner in which they are being employed makes it not much of a market anymore.

1. You make the assumption that it is desirable and certain that drug use will decline if certain actions are taken to make policy less restrictive.
    2. The market approach to decreasing the prison population that is there due to drug offenses is to un-ban the drugs, not to pretend one can know at what price things will be "all better".

16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reducing drug use isn't desirable???

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Yes?

Purposely making the manufacture of one of the company's products prohibitively expensive because it's "icky" is pretty punitive.

Shall we tax the bejeezus out of Vivid Video?

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    As an end in itself? Not in particular.

Plenty of drug users manage to be completely functional human beings. I consume huge amounts of caffeine daily, alcohol on occasion. I manage to function. Some people smoke marijuana regularly, or snort some cocaine from time to time. I bet most people here who work in offices sit near someone like that and don't even know it.

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Meh. You get down to it and take it as a whole and it's not the frothy strawman depicted.

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I dunno-- do people die from Vivid Video? When they do is it expensive to the rest of us?

American Brummie and dapip repped this.
  21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    People undoubtedly die at a staggering rate from vehicles wielded by other humans. Shall we tax automakers until they start producing only software?

EDIT: I think the squirrels have conspired against you.

roby and El Chuma repped this.
  22. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bloomberg is always good for a laugh...

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    To what gain? That would just put a premium on older, less safe cars, most likely. However if we were to tax Hummers a bit more, wouldn't break my heart or outrage my sensibilities.

No you don't-- it is a disagreement we've had before, and one you are used to having with a bunch of people...

24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    TO STOP THE SLAUGHTER!!!!

What? Either you triple-posted or the server squirrels don't like you and triple-posted for you.

Ismitje repped this.
  25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    A lot of cities and countries rely on mass transit (buses or trains) by taxing the use of automobiles, directly or indirectly.