Time for Ramos to be a leader

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by K.P., Sep 3, 2002.

1. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know an injury is a medical decision, but if Ramos doesn't make the trip to Dallas I'll be really disappointed. The guy has got four games left in his career and the last three of them are likely to mean squat if we get beat on Thursday.

I think the travelling roster is 16 players, and we barely have that to begin with. I mean, assuming we start either Moore or Lisi in the midfield along with Paule, Davis and Williams, that leaves us with Grafer, Moore or Lisi, and Chronopolous on the bench. Then we have two spots left for the following five players:

1. Krupnik
    2. Forko
    3. Alvarez
    4. Klinger
    5. Ramos.

Krupnik and Forko are both defenders; Alvarez and Klinger are both useless. The choices are so pathetic it almost doesn't matter.

Bottom line is that Ramos is the captain, he's been out since July 10th (or 6th depending on the paper you read), and we need his leadership to get a point in Dallas, even if he's not 100%.

2. I wouldn't count on this guy. He's probably only played about 40% of the games the metros have ever played. He's been a total bust.

3. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    Why should Ramos start leading now, he's quit on this team already. If he was really dedicated to the team he should have given more of an effort to rehab quickly.

4. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net

Tab has been out since the 2000 season. Injuries do happen but what has gotten my goat year in and year out is how the Metro front office still gives this guy the captains role for the club.

Injured or not there are ways to motivate your club, especially when you are the captain...just look at Jamie Redknapp when LFC won all of their cups 2 years ago, he was a vital part of the locker room. Maybe I am biased with the Redknapp info, but the bottom line is that Tab walked out on the Metros and us the fans years ago. I say let him rot and keep him at home .. he doesn't deserve to be our saviour in Dallas.

5. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I think Tab had an opportunity to show that he's a team leader by sitting with the team on the bench during their games when he was "injured".

I don't want to hear about where injured players from other countries sit. His experience would have been invaluable to younger guys like Brad Davis and Jeff Moore during games. He could relate better with them than someone like OZ.

He had his chance to be a leader.

6. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab, I have to believe you have some pride and want to finish your MetroStar career, so plagued by injury and disappointment, in a positive way. Step up, show up and finish strong is all I have to say.

7. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Anyone want to bet he gets injured one more time before the end of his career in a few weeks? You know, for old times sake!

8. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    I agree that it has sucked that Ramos has been injuried, but how did he walk out on us? He has a team, the team chose to keep him through the injuries. When he is not injured, he plays (and well, with heart [ and a bit too much passion]).

Don't give me that 'he should have left' crap. The man has a family, a mortgage and a sport he loves. He also has the worst luck in the world when it comes to injuries. If it weren't for those injuries, he would be the best player in the league (until Donovan matures and Mathis gets healthy).

NOW, having said that, I don't think a guy that doesn't play often can be captain, and that includes Mathis. Unfortunately, there aren't too many alternatives. Maybe Jolley as he is getting older. Howard if he wasn't always hanging around his own net.

9. Darr

Darr Member

Apr 6, 2002
    St.Louis, MO
    If it's time for anyone to be a leader, its Mathis...