Time for a new "Yet Another Mass Shooting Thread"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, May 14, 2022.

1. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The belief that "it can't happen here" is to me the second most dangerous thing one can think -- second only to "I could never be a perpetrator or even complicit in such a horrible thing. My heart is pure."

song219, Mike03, bigredfutbol and 2 others repped this.
  2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You're going to be accused of catastrophizing... I guess that's the latest term. Used in a sentence:
    "Stop catastrophizing and remove your shoes. It's a shower. A. Shower!"

song219, Mike03 and russ repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Interesting Shapiro who is one of the bigger influencers on the right, is going around saying Trans should not be allowed guns

So effectively they should be denied constitutional rights enjoyed by other Americans

It is pretty obvious where even the supposedly 'more moderate' GOP are going with this

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely--just to keep beating the drum, genocide is a crime of INTENT. A campaign of intimidation, legal and social pressure, etc. can be considered a genocide before the killing starts. Or even if it never starts--as noted earlier, merely inflicting harm (even emotional harm) on members of a group meets the definition.

There are some people who think we should define genocide rather narrowly, only for very extreme cases; and for many people (I suspect superdave is one of them), the term only applies when there is an highly organized campaign of systemic murder on an industrial scale. I am not one of those people--not just because I think it's more moral to identify systemic persecution of a targeted group before things "get out of hand" but also because having genocide as a distinct category of crime in international law really only makes sense if you apply it broadly.

For example, if the people responsible for taking Ukrainian children from Ukraine and sending them to Russia to be adopted by Russian families and raised as Russian are ever brought to justice (big hypothetical, I realize), I would strongly argue they should be charged with genocide. Because the intention of their actions was much more ominous than merely, say, mishandling/abusing the adoption process--much more ominous than kidnapping, even.

5. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    In terms of direct threats to the safety and security of a group by people outside that group, the trans community is IMO the most threatened community today. There is already an abundance of informal (non state sanctioned) persecution. My biggest concern for that community is not explicit state level persecution but rather the state turning the other way/tacitly endorsing more of an extrajudicial/paramilitary persecution. Which can be every bit as bad.

Hate crimes initiated by law enforcement identifying trans individuals during things like stops, giving that information to “affiliates” and letting them take it from there.

6. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    the example you gave is verbatim in the formal definition (removing children and nationality as a group), so yeah. It’s a genocide in every sense of the word. The Kremlin even stated the basis was to “re-educate”, ie, Russify. Intent is very easy to prove there.

The Jitty Slitter and bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's also adamantly refusing to engage with the substance of the arguments in favor of regarding 'genocide' in the broader terms which Raphael Lemkin initially laid out and which are spelled out explicitly in the UN Convention.

Meanwhile, in some states, laws are being passed which allow the state government to use Child Protective Services to investigate families for "abuse" simply because the parents allow their children to pursue gender affirming care. There is ample statistical evidence that demonstrates that trans kids are under a much higher risk of physical violence.

Taking children of a targeted group from their families, and deliberately causing harm (either physical or emotional) to members of that group both qualify under the UN Convention.

Yup. Hell, click on MSN.com and you'll see stories feeding the narrative that trans people are a violent threat.

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you are being reactionary, everything is unrealistic until it happens (in your eyes).
    But, that is quite alarming since you have been given ample evidence that those in power want them to happen (an even evidence that it has happened in the near past).
    Given the evidence, I'm not sure how you would define the genocide (executions) happening in the future, but not the present.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get your overall point, but I want to quibble with this a bit. This, here, I see as doing 2 things. The first is that it is looking at grouping from a biased perspective of religion (as a driver of procreation) as well as looking at the harm coming from the perpetrator. If we look at it from these perspectives, we inherently leave out groups like farm workers or unions or the disabled or LGBTQ+. But if we look at this from the perspective of those being harmed, then that changes how we can look at genocide. Which, I think was bigred's point. At least that is how I'm reading it, and how I'm interpreting it. (Of course, I've also never looked at the definition of genocide in any depth.)

russ repped this.
  10. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I’m not disagreeing with you. What I’m saying is that per the formal definition it is a two part test. Part 1 = must be one of the 4 enumerated groups (religion, race, ethnicity, nationality). Part 2 = one of any number of harms must be perpetrated to some degree against the group in part 1 for it to be “doing a genocide”.

Some degree of perpetration and intent are both required. If country X builds a dam and the dam fails and wipes out one of those 4 groups the harm is obviously there but intent may not be. Similarly, if a country devises a secret plan to harm one of those four groups but fails to execute, it’s technically not a genocide but an attempted genocide and conspiracy to commit. There are distinctions:

(a) Genocide;

(b) Conspiracy to commit genocide;

(c) Direct and public incitement to commit genocide;

(d) Attempt to commit genocide;

(e) Complicity in genocide.

Again, different forms of persecution can have all of the effects of a genocide without actually being (in the eyes of the UN) a genocide. Is the way it is written exclusive in terms of protected groups? Yes and my personal belief is that the same harms committed against other groups (gender, sexual orientations, disability status, professional/political/ideological) not included in the document are essentially the same. To the extent that any two of the same type of crime with similar motivations can be anyway.

The meat of the definition and various charges is in Article II and III here below. Very short and to the point:

https://www.un.org/en/genocidepreve...n and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide.pdf

11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Auriaprottu repped this.
  12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deadtigers repped this.
  13. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Between Max Frost and this young man Justin Jones. There is hope for this world. It took young leaders like John Lewis to be willing to make change and I think these guys have the same spirit.

soccernutter, Auriaprottu and Mike03 repped this.
  14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "60 Minutes" allowed MTG to stand by the "Democrats are pedophiles" slur--which is a thinly veiled attack on LGBT people and especially on trans people--with only a little bit of "oh GOSH" pushback, and zero challenging of the extremely dark subtext.

It's MUCH closer to being possible here than any of us should be comfortable with. The idea that we should wait until it's likely is worse than merely complacent.

xtomx repped this.
  15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  16. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's already started!

russ and soccernutter repped this.
  17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being possible? Sounders has laid out a very convincing case that it has been occurring since the 1980s, in the genocide discussion upthread.

bigredfutbol, xtomx, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting here because of the discussion, but going to cross post this. And, in reality, this could go in at least 5 threads.

https://wpln.org/post/republicans-b...gun-control-protest-on-tennessee-house-floor/

Three Democratic lawmakers who took part in protests on the House floor of the Tennessee statehouse will face expulsion later this week.

Earlier Monday, the three lawmakers were removed from their committee assignments and had their badges to the capitol deactivated.

Reps. Justin Jones, D-Nashville; Justin J. Pearson, D-Memphis; and Gloria Johnson, D-Knoxville, are facing discipline after supporting protesters pushing for more gun control at the capitol, days after the Covenant School shooting.

Do I really need to comment further?

xtomx, Auriaprottu and bigredfutbol repped this.
  19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2244 bigredfutbol, Apr 4, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
    I was part of that discussion, and I was largely in agreement. To repeat the point I was hammering--it's a "genocide" before the killing even starts; in fact, there doesn't necessarily need to be any mass killing to qualify.

I'm trying to address those complacent liberals who hold to a much narrower and more exclusive definition of what constitutes a genocide; one where there needs to be a coherent, somewhat centrally-directed campaign of mass-scale violence directed at the target group. I want them to accept that even by their own high bar, we're getting close. The preconditions--and there HAVE to be preconditions, genocides don't just flare up out of the blue--have been in place for a while; the rhetoric, the steady drumbeat of dehumanization combined with the accelerating language of being under threat and increasing incidents of stochastic violence should trouble the complacent.

20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I got ya. :thumbsup:

bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of think you should.

Why are they being expelled? The GOPs are comparing the protest to J6. It’s a facile comparison that is obviously a pretext. To me, this incident is another example of the GOPs embrace of one aspect of fascism, namely, that truth is irrelevant. All that matters to them is power.

To me, that’s the most dangerous thing about Gingrich->the Tea Party/Sarah Palin->Romney’s first debate performance (and the media coverage of Romney being savvy and not a massive liar)->Trump…it’s essentially a post truth style of politics. The fundamental assumption of democracy is an informed citizenry.

Mike03 repped this.
  23. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it was sickening. I understand the problem that American journalism (real journalism, that is, not Fox News etc.) feels like it has: if they're openly critical of or directly argumentative towards anything, ever, they're accused of bias. But the alternative they've chosen is to abandon any sense of performing an important public service and instead become motivated only by their own performance as a business. In that light, it's no different in principle (if obviously different in severity) from Fox telling its underlings to stop fact-checking Trump and his sycophants.

Yes.

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember some discussion in 2020 or 2021 that newsrooms were not able to effectively report on the George Floyd murder and the subsequent BLM protests effectively because, in part, the people who were in charge of what and how to cover, where older, Whiter, and not in tune with what was actually happening. And what it seems is that those who are older and Whiter are still not able to accept that what people like MTG says are only partially performative, but also quite a bit what they believe. Stahl can be good, and was interesting back in the day, but other than the occasional report, she is not longer the journalist she once was.

And for that matter, 60 minutes has drifted to the middle. They used to be challenging, but not very much any more.

Deadtigers, bigredfutbol and Mike03 repped this.
  25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Students: Mr. P, can we go to the protest?

I'm about to lose my ********ing mind at the apathy. DON'T ASK ME IF YOU CAN GO TO A PROTEST! JUST GO TO THE GOD DAMN PROTEST ALREADY! Y'ALL ARE A DISGRACE TO THE TRADITION OF STUDENT PROTEST IN THIS COUNTRY! WEAK-ASS MOFOS...

Deadtigers, roby, soccernutter and 3 others repped this.