Review: Time for a new USMNT Jersey.......

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Riccardo55, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So every World Cup I get a USMNT Jersey, so far have had two Pablos, for when he was a key player for the team, then in 2010 with Game one vs. England, I purchased a Gaetjens #9 jersey in the honor of the US Team (from Haiti) goalscorer in the "Upset of the Century" USA 1 England 0 1950's game. So I got another Gaetjens #9 in 2014, still have it, wore it to the USWNT v Columbia match here. I chose #9 as it was widely considered unknown what number her really wore. Teams used 1-11 (Goalie wears 1, through to the Left Wing wearing 11). Number could change game to game. The 1950 US Team was noted to have chaotic numbering game to game.

Now in 2022, with England in our Group, I am planning on another Gaetjens #9. I doubt we will see a *current* Rapids player on the squad. Vines may make it, now playing in Europe. Doubt Zardes will go without injury to others. He's not exactly a Rapid, anyway (yet). I have come across one group (Squadnumbers) that feels, through re-examinging the old film and photos, that Gaetjens wore #18. No clear new primary sources, just height/weight/hair/gait/position sorts of estimates. Now it occurred to me that the Rapids have a nice group of soccer nerds that may have worthwhile opinions, friends, or takes on what number he really did wear that game. Curious if anyone knows any more.

R

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been in the #9 camp, mainly due to no real evidence of anything else.

Mainly though, I've been waiting a long time for a good Nats kit to buy and if the leaks are indication, I'll be waiting another year or two.

3. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USNMT only has 2022 Red/Blue and some 2020 White jerseys right now. Great, the best one's will be available right before Qatar? So no rush at this point.

R