Timbers/Sounders match=MLS FTW!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by bowlingballhead, Jul 10, 2011.

1. bowlingballhead

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Match came across amazingly on ESPN. Congratulations to the Pacific Northwest for showing the country what soccer has the potential to look like in America! :)

2. Skyler

Skyler New Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Left Coast
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the best atmosphere for any game in MLS History, came across LOUD on TV. Truly the League's Top Derby, and growing now on the International scale.

3. John Mercado

John Mercado Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Very good back and forth game, and atmosphere is hard to beat! I think all that noise finally woke Freddie Montero up. I was Glade ESPN had it live streaming on thier site, as I don't have cable.

4. csdynamicfan

csdynamicfan Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! I absolutely love the atmosphere the northwest region is putting on
    Love it for MLS! and I'm really liking the Timbers organization more and more, great job

5. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    MLS continues to grow. The passion exhibited by the teams and fans was truly a sight to behold.

6. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent game to watch because of the crowd. AMAZING atmosphere!

7. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match was great, lots of action, fans chanting was great only one song was repeatedly being sung to an annoying level. The OOh oh OOh oh OOh song drove me bat shit crazy. Not sure if that is the Seattle fans or Portland fans but it was really getting me ticked off to the point I muted the game for a bit. The chant is cool for about 5 minutes, but 20 minutes + of it is like listening to a broken record in eternal hell.

8. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You would perish watching a J-league match then, especially an Urawa Reds one:p. Supporters, well, supporting their team, que no?

9. bowlingballhead

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E5mP47aGMQ"]YouTube - ‪07/10/2011 Timbers Army‬‏[/ame] :)

10. craighwk

craighwk Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least they can keep a chant going for more than 2 rounds of it, which is about as much as we can muster.

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the PDX fans stay faithful. That team of theirs couldn't defend to save their lives yesterday.

Top notch from the fans of both teams.
    Every other MLS team is jealous

12. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think it is a good thing that they placed mic's in the stadium.

It gives a feeling of being in the stadium from the comfort of your couch. I think other teams should do this too. I wonder how many mic's they placed in the stadium.

13. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a nice game. The color contrast between the teams was dreadful though. That neon outfit next to the classy green in the bright sun was a little tough on my eyes. :)

14. Timber Fanatic

Apr 22, 2005
    Portland Oregon
    It was Portland fans singing "Onward Rose City". Yes I agree it was sung into the ground. I'm getting kind of sick of it. I'm fine with singing it once or twice a match for 3-4 minutes at a time, but yesterday I believe it was it sung 4 times? with the pregame version lasting well over ten minutes.

At least you had a mute button. I'm in the north end right next to the army, (right where I want to be), but when that chant goes on and on I'm like "Okay guys...we have like 15-20 solid chants in the hopper so let's use them all."

For quite a few years it was really tough to keep a chant going longer than a minute or two, so I think it's real easy to get lulled into letting that one go on and on.

15. Millz

Millz New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Every team in the league does this.

And onward is long on purpose.

16. UShornet

UShornet Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked amazing on tv. My family was watching with me and they are casual soccer fans. They were blown away by it.

17. chudbeagle

chudbeagle Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I were over my parents' place for dinner yesterday so I made my Dad watch it and he was very impressed with the play and especially the atmosphere. Now he wants to go to a Union game. Consider the ESPN broadcast a success in that regard!

18. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    ECS was also doing a special PDX only version of the same song yesterday. :D

19. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle and Portland have shown America what a gameday experience should be. The rest of MLS needs to step up in a major way. Get a stadium worthy of a major league team; market to real fans, not just the soccer mom crowd; and develop a fan culture unique to your team and the sport. Going to an MLS match shouldn't feel like you're at a minor league baseball game, or worse, a NE Revolution game.

20. csdynamicfan

csdynamicfan Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    god they suck

21. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    No need to worry, Portland has had very average soccer teams in terms of pitch results in the past, but the cultural impact of the team has been heavy among the community. Folks are really embracing the civic ethos through the Timbers, and this started years ago, but this year is spreading like a wildfire. Very glad to have MLS, but we've always had good support. No free scarves here, people want to be apart of the feeling.

22. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    And you had to go and lay a turd in the middle of a positive thread. Hubris is the downfall of humankind.

23. ATF487

ATF487 Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Millis, MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's a fate worse than death.

24. Portland Ale Patrol

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland OR
    This?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF7sFSjVzQU"]YouTube - ‪It's a Casual Life pt 1‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQiGBM3G7P8"]YouTube - ‪It's a Casual Life pt 2‬‏[/ame]

PTFC had and will always have kind of a cult following like..FC St.Pauli?

25. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i do not care for metrosexual hooligans.