Timbers-Sounders Attendance

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by Throwins, Apr 30, 2003.

1. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    The Timbers schedule features many weeknight games rather than the more attractive weekend dates. This makes little sense to me because attracting soccer fans with little advertising and without local news interest is going to be real tough. PGE is a huge park, despite somewhat downsized, but needs far more than 6,000 fans to rock. I don't know what Timber management has in mind, but people aren't going to support this franchise in a vacuum.

Also, who in the world put the Sounders' kit together? Stevie Wonder?

2. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
  3. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the worst part of it is that the team accepted it, no complaints or did they.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's frigging dreadful, that is.

5. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick!!! Get the Sounders to sign Freddy!!! :)

6. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paging Adrian Hanauer.... ;)

7. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

I wonder about tonights game. Will the Sounders debut their new home jerseys with white numbers on white kits?

8. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    hahaha i shouldnt be laughing. it probably will happen

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they've got black numbers, but the kit itself isn't particularly attractive.

And I can't get a good handle on the crowd from the TV. Just saw a shot that looked like it might have been a decent number of people, but that place is soooooo big they get swallowed up.

Hey, krammer, what do you think of Paul Dolan?

10. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

I think he was an okay commentator, when he did a handful of Whitecaps broadcasts on radio, however I don't have FSW or FSWC, so don't know how he's doing on TV.

I planned on listening to this game via one of the teams audiocasts but once again have been let down because both audiocasts aren't working.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First time I've heard him.

I pray it will be the last.

Oh, God, Cincinnati beat Indiana 3-0. How bad must Indiana be?

12. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounders just had a goal called back....offside.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5,012 announced crowd at Seahawks Stadium.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how one of the Sounders' endboards (right by a corner flag) has an A-League logo that's like five years out of date.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I've enjoyed this match but I've gotta say one thing ... While watching it I've developed a whole new appreciation for the MLS policy on dark home jersey's and white away jerseys. Half the time I can't tell one side from another here.

17. JMU Soccer!

JMU Soccer! New Member

Jul 19, 1999
    Despite the fact the 5000 fans were in a stadium that seats over 60,000, the action looked good on TV.

18. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back from the game. 5,000 seems about right. I believe that the section that the Sounders have blocked off for their games has a capacity of 8-9,000.

I am VERY excited about this season. I think people were really into the game, and a lot of people are going to be spreading the word about the Sounders and bringing some friends next time. The stadium is so beautiful, what a great soccer experience it is.

Emerald City Supporters Club was awesome. I think you guys are going to be getting some more members as the season goes on. :)

"Cel-tic Re-Jects *clap clap clap clap clap*"

- Paul

19. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sounders would have looked nice with green shorts. Although if they want to wear all-white at home, Portland should have been the team to wear colored shorts. Portland sucks, as usual.

- Paul

20. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    At least Portland's uniforms didn't break FIFA standards for being unable to read a player number or name from a few feet away.

Many in the stands Thursday assumed Seattle only had practice uniforms for their trip. Don't blame them, it was a disgrace.

21. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    The Sounders should never be allowed in MLS. This is ridiculous. Just 5,000. How can you think that you could bring 17-20k per game in each MLS game? Simply never. Sorry guys, No MLS in Seattle.

22. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    i had the same problem. when they zoomed out a little you say everyone in white. I wasnt going to post this cuz i thought that people would think i was blind.

It was a very well played game though. I am serosuis, going from a Liverpool to an A-League game isnt that much difference.

23. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I watched the first half (right coast; had to be up early for work this am), and enjoyed it -- certainly recognizable as pro soccer compared with WUSA or college games. And the field is flat-out gorgeous. I don't know why ManU is demanding grass, but they will accept no substitute, so that's that.

The unis were a problem, except during close ups when Portland's Celtic hoops showed load and clear. Whiich led to the announcers mentioning the ManU-Celtic match heading your way. THAT needs televising: a sold-out stadium for soccer; a friendly with a Champions League feel to it.

I'm glad FSW is showing another season of A-League weekly matches. Makes for a nice weekend of domestic soccer on the tube.

24. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I was there. Pretty well-played game, considering how early in the season it was. Portland looked pretty good, but had several horrible defensive lapses in the second that cost them. Seattle had their lapses in the first, but Portland didn't make them pay.

In person, I had absolutely no trouble telling the teams apart. I was in the first row, but I don't think it mattered. The attendance was good, as was the atmosphere. The Sounders had a band, BBQ, magnet giveaways, movie poster giveaways, some foosball contest, and some car-related promotion. Pretty festive pre-game stuff. Too bad the weather wasn't excellent so more people could enjoy it.

The game had a pretty decent atmosphere, considering that the stadium was mostly empty. The Sounders did less of the obnoxious stuff they did at Memorial (the annoying announcer didn't say "time for another Sounders cooooornnnnnner kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiickkkkkkkkkkk!). Thought the turf played very, very well. I pretty much forgot that it wasn't grass shortly after kickoff. All in all, a good night of soccer. Hopefully some of the first-timers come back.