Tim Howard: MLS Should Blame Itself For Lampard Issue

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by oneeyedfool, Dec 21, 2014.

1. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Empire of Soccer:

That is the nature of Major League Soccer’s self-inflicted issue, says Howard, placing the blame squarely on the league.

“Perhaps [MLS] will have to slap Frank on the wrists and tell him he has to go to New York. But I don’t think that’s going to happen,” Howard told British press.

“It’s a tough one. City own both clubs and therein lies the problem.

“The MLS have made their own problem. New York is owned by Man City. Frank Lampard is playing at Man City, doing very well.

“Man City own the world … and I think Frank being part of a title-winning team is a little higher up their priorities. [MLS] made that bed.”

[​IMG]

Jonesta repped this.
  2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    howard nailed it! MLS should never have allowed this type of arrangement with NYCFC owners to have happened - Chivas 2.0- i would be royally pissed if i were a NYCFC STH- its starts with lampard and it will continue after

really- is there any other MLS fan who would want their team being used/treated this way- as a farm team?

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not that ManCity owners are the owners of NYCFC thats the problem, is that a player that is clearly NYCFC is not being told to get his butt back. Clearly ManCity ownership and ManCity are one in the same. Thats dangerous.

Still its nothing like Chivas USA, at least not yet.

4. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stunning development today in Man City keeping Lampard until June. Grant Wahl's report that Lampard's contract is actually owned by Man City and not NYCFC is just beyond belief.

Sam U El repped this.
  5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really not all that much to nail. This was seen and contemplated by half the people here who had more than 2 brain cells to rub together ....... not Lampard specifically, but how the relationship between NYC and Man City was going to play out.

6. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lampard will stay with Manchester City through May; loan may never have existed

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/lampard-manchester-existed-31173/

7. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's Don Garber's spin:

When asked if he’s uncomfortable with the idea that NYCFC is a farm team for Man City, Garber said: “I don’t think it is a farm team for Man City. With this decision, while I can understand people will try to think that, the level of investment that this ownership group is making with the club is massive, and it rivals some of the bigger clubs around the world. This kind of decision is not something in my view that in any way says this is a farm team for Man City. I don’t believe in all my dealings with them that they have led us to believe that’s true.”

http://on.si.com/1BlS3rW