Tim Hanley let go by the Galaxy

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by jeff_adams, Aug 29, 2007.

1. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No medal, but somebody should set you up with the new black SAN JOSE jersey! :)

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I always like the color red because black reminded me of the referees and I always stayed away from them.If its free however, I'll take it! ;)

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wonder if its written all over his face?:D
    [​IMG]

4. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    You're trying to kill me arent you?

Tim Hanley for Quakes coach? BOOOO.

5. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    BOOOO Right back at you Ballsac!

Hanley has paid his dues. He knows the bay area and MLS inside and out. Has proven himself to earn a shot moreso than some of the current MLS coaches!

Why the hell not hire Tim Hanley? He's got my vote and confidence...

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly! Why not? If Dom or Frank are unavailable who else is left in the area, Terry Fisher? Are you kidding me? Laurie Calloway is in Rochester and I can't see any other local guys wo can fill the job. Joe Silveira, Cam Rast are locals but I can't see them leading a pro team. To tell you the truth, Hanley has had more experience than most as he was a player in the NASL and also played or trained in Europe before John or Dom and many others ever did. I remember him on the bench when George Best scored his famous goal. Although he never really started for the NASL Quakes his many years of experience behind the scenes in American soccer could be very beneficial. Let's face it the whole world over usuually anyway, most of the best coaches were usually just average players. I'd say Fabio Capello , Johan Cruyff, Berd Schuster could be exceptions to that rule but how many times have we seen the stars fail at the helm? Maybe Hanley would be a good head coach?

7. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Wow...brilliant thought, considering Tim as a candidate for the Head Coach position. Count me among those ashamed to have pigeon-holed him as an assistant coach.

Sure, I could see him taking the helm. I could totally be on board with that. :)

8. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I'm happy to see Tim hanley as keeper's coach but head coach? No way!!! As we get closer to end of season and no-one has been named yet, it has to be Dom. If thewy were gonna hire Tim as head coach the announcement would have been made by now.

9. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They're waiting to see if Pele's available.

10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hey, don't laugh! Getting Pele on board in some capacity would be a real coup. He has plenty of name recognition, and he may not cost that much $$$.

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Pelé ever decided to get involved with MLS, it'd more likely be with an expansion New York MLS franchise (hopefully called the New York Cosmos).

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

12. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No doubt about that name recognition. He gets millions already so maybe he wouldn't mind taking a lowly MLS coach job. ;)

13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Exactly, he doesn't need a lot of money. And of course he would never deign to take a job as a lowly MLS coach. No, he'd serve as the team's avuncular patron saint, sort of like the role Tom Cruise has with that other team, only without the baggage.

14. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There goes, Goodsport; trying to make this serious again.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Funny how I read in an article a while back how Pele could never amount to much in an administrative role. His predictions and picks of winners and players have never really amounted to much unless they were already ontop and he has never ever coached the game.

I think 30 years to the month that he retired, he is mostly living off of his name and ismore of an icon figure than anything else. He has never led a club in any capacity in over 3 decades since he played the game. That doesn't mean too much in todays game. Heck even Cruyff, Stoichkov did more than Pele ever did in the admin role. To an extent even Best helped out Milan Mandaric at Portsmouth. I've never seen Pele do any of these things.

George Best & Milan Mandaric
    [​IMG]

16. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think Tim Hanley would be pleasantly amused that his "leaving the Gals" thread has evolved into a discussion of Pele. Hanley -> Pele, it's a natural progression. :)

17. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Signs that we're:

-incredibly enthusiastic about the team's return!
    -starved for news
    -underemployed (curse you collapsing mortgage market!)
    -bored out of our skulls

18. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Well...maybe Dominic (that would be outstanding) or maybe Frank. Both are currently under contract and we can't "tamper" with them until their respective clubs' seasons are over.

It could be that they have talked with Tim...perhaps, others, too...but want to interview ALL possible candidates before making a decision. (That's not to suggest that Tim or anyone other than Dom isn't a worthy candidate.) The expansion draft isn't until late November. There are a couple of weeks after MLS Cup until that draft--time enough to squeeze in a chat with Dom. ;):D

***Tim is probably reading this and having a very hearty laugh over all us dolts who think we have it figured out.

19. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It was not meant to be taken seriously, but as usual on this board, someone will commit the sin. :D

20. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Give me a count-down on the time left to "let the tampering begin!"

You, out there! Laughing coach! Get in here and straighten us out."

21. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Well, I don't have an exact number of days for each, UR, but I'm guessing the number for Frank and the Galaxatives is considerably (and gloriously) less. (apologies to Frank)

22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if the evil, filthy, cheating, league favored, water-stealing, smog-breathing galactoposers win out, it doesn't guarantee them a playoff spot. So yeah, I'm thinking that Frank becomes eligible for tempting on Monday, October 22nd. So we could have an announcement as soon as . . . October 22nd, well, maybe the 23rd. MLS Cup is November 18th, so a few days after that for Dom, unless the DynamoHums slip in the playoffs.

Now that the college season is underway, Paul Holocher won't be available until much later, so he may not be a candidate. Same for other college coaches.

And as for bored, happy, desperate for news and so on . . . Yeah! So what of it?! :D

GOOOOOO QUAAAAAAAKES!!! :D

- Mark

23. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

Good point about a working college coach. While walking out of a contract during a season is not all that unusual, I would think a decent college coach would not do it. Personally, I would not be pleased to have a coach, especially a college coach, who did that, regardless of how good he might be. If a coach does that to a team in order to come to us, it just proves that the guy would do it to us if the right circumstance presented itself......which, of course leads to my own contradiction of what's right or wrong..........a pro coach wanting to go elsewhere while under contract is a different story. The coaches should have about the same rights as a player. Besides, if the Quakes are going to buy out someone's contract, they should do it for a proven winner.