[TIFO] Checkered Flags

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by kmmc, Aug 14, 2009.

1. kmmc

kmmc Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of you may remember the yellow and black checkered flags the Crew FO provided back in 07 and 08. The FO staff would set them out in the supporter's section prior to the match and collect them after the match. Well it's no surprise that the majority of them have disappeared.

[​IMG]

After a recommendation by myshap and viewing the results of one of Thoma's polls at Rust Belt Tifo a few of us decided to look into getting more flags. The Crew Union and HSH have fronted the cost for 100 new 3'x5' checkered flags. Myself and hsh_b have prepared the flags by attaching them to 5' PVC poles with zip ties.

[​IMG]

As opposed to just handing out the flags and attempting to collect them all at the end of a match we have been discussing several other options to help reduce the number of flags that disappear and recuperate part of the cost. One option we have looked at is to have each person purchase their flag for $5 and be responsible for bringing it to a match. The other option would be to set up a collection for specified amount and distribute the flags as the Crew FO has done previously once we have met our goal.

The first option helps to both recuperate the cost and reduce the amount of flags that walk away. However, it makes coordinating the use of the flags more difficult since it might take awhile for all the flags to be purchased. The second option would allow for all the flags to be used in an organized display easier but allows for the flags to disappear and adds more work for the organizers each match they are used.

We have spoken with the Crew FO and if we were to go the route where people would buy the flags it shouldn't be an issue bringing your flag into the stadium through the gates.

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions? Would you be willing to participate in an organized tifo using the flags if it cost $5?

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think CU and HSH could easily sell the flags for $5.

3. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think it's best to sell them, although whatever is best for the group is fine with me. I guess I really wasn't thinking of Tifo when I suggested the flags. I just thought it would be a nice addition to the merch we sell to provide funds for things like travel and banners.

If we want to use them for Tifo, how about splitting them 50/50 between HSH and CSU. Send out an e-mail to members first to tell them we want to use these as Tifo for the game, would you like one for $5. Then sell the rest by going around the Bar/Tail Gate/Nordecke and ask people if they'd like a flag for $5. $5 for a full size flag like these I thought would sell pretty quickly.

4. kmmc

kmmc Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Selling them would also allow people to take them home and hang them on the wall or use them in whatever way they would like. The quality of the flags are decent but a couple of them have weird stains so those should probably be used for TIFO.

5. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I'M talking about!!!!!!!!!

6. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's what happens when you leave Blake alone for 5 minutes.

7. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll spend five bucks on one of those easy, nice work.

If they're at the tailgate I'll swing by and pick one up, or if they're at rubys blake hook me up!

also, repped

8. Matt C

Matt C Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is awesome. The section will look great waving these.

Regarding option 1 or option 2: Expect flags to walk off and generally suffer a slow attrition with either option.

Overall this idea = potentially another great symbol of the Nordecke. If these things are a hit the whole stadium will want to buy them, just like the scarves.

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if the rest of the stadium wouldn't be allowed to have flag poles, these flags around the rest of the stadium would be a great idea.

10. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    One idea I had to add a little more to this would be to have a larger tifo associated with it. I was thinking something as simple as 6 black and 6 yellow bedsheets put together 3x4 to look like a bigger version of the flags we'd be waving. We could start waving the smaller flags before the game and then after a minute or two pull up the massive checkered flag as the players walk out (the bedsheet one, not Clem's).

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had this idea in 1999 and actually pulled it off (to a smaller extent.) The idea was to have a 2x2 yellow/black checkerboard design, where each piece was actually a seperate bedsheet sewn together.

Each 2x2 piece was seperate, which allowed for easier storage. Having seperate 2x2 pieces now would also allow it to "go around the corner" more easily and would also allow portability for road trips. The only trick with seperate flags is to coordinate enough so it doesn't look like seperate flags.

What happened to that idea? adidas got us the jersey flag, which we used about 5-6 times per year, but we still did the checkerboard flag every other time.

12. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Option 1 all the way. I think you'd be shocked at how many of these flags you'd sell.

13. jackmann

jackmann Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Cowtown
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll buy one

14. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll buy one as well. Hell, I still need a scarf.

Sykotyk

15. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'll buy one, make a stand in front of one of the gates, and I guarantee you sell at least 100 a game (AT LEAST)

16. apierce61

apierce61 Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

it looks like the flags chelsea used were oversized "car flags"....

so even if the whole stadium couldn't do the 3x6 with flag poles maybe you could get a bunch of "car flag" sized ones would sell pretty well?

17. kmmc

kmmc Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We sold between 5-10 flags last night and I never took them out of the car. I'm going to try and find a duffel bag to put the flags in so that I can easily bring them to the tailgate and distribute them.

The Chelsea display also motivated the purchase of the checkered flags but we decided that since the Crew is much more MASSIVE we would go with 3'x5'. :D

18. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have one that I bring to every game very nice flags to have...

19. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think option 1 is better.

Another option would be to lend them out for a $5 deposit, or basically, provide refunds if the flag is returned in good condition at the end of the game. I don't think this would happen too much, but you could offer it as an option if you were having trouble actually selling them outright.

As long as selling them for $5 a piece will provide cover for the costs so that if you sell out you can afford to buy more, I'd say this is the way to go. Be sure that the PVC and zip-tie costs are covered too, and not just the flag (I state the obvious only because sometimes I find it easy to overlook that).

20. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like one or two if you guys sell them for sure. One for games, one for home. ;)

21. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe one guy told me The Flag Lady charged him $40 for his checkered flag:eek: I told him, shoot, that's big banner money!!

22. nb_cc2009

nb_cc2009 Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am new to the site and am an in coming college freshman in columbus area. My friend and are i going to become season ticket holders for next season after having great experiences sitting in the cheering section.

As for the flags, great idea. I think they would look great all over the stadium and i would be more than willing to spend $5 dollars on one and would always bring it to games.

23. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Show up to the tailgate or Ruby Tuesdays before games to pick one up, and please hang out for awhile. Either place you go you'll have a good time.

24. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

Also, like Blake said, you'll have a good time either at Ruby's or the tailgate. You'll be welcomed as an old friend at either place.

25. nb_cc2009

nb_cc2009 Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright sweet. Thanks guys. I plan on making it to the rest of the home games this season so i will be sure to stop by the tailgate or Ruby Tuesdays.