Tidbits from member's welcome night

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Feb 12, 2018.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Random recollections from the Q&A (don't shoot the messenger, just trying to recall what was said):

- Feldman started it off with "please keep it respectful, folks", as though people haven't in the past(?). Came off as pretty condescending IMO.

- Rowe was very popular, smiley and pretty witty. Easy to see why he's the orgs player of choice for these events.

- The rookies were trotted out and introduced. Isaac Angking had really good size (and also looks really young) - hope he fares better than Zach has to this point.

- Asked about a reserve team/affiliation, they said that the Rhinos arrangement hadn't really worked out, they preferred to work with a group of teams now, and they were working with the group in Hartford. As for this year, nothing really to speak of. They didn't seem to acknowledge the fact that this has been an area of major fail so far.

- In probably the most infuriating moment (for me), Burns, in his intro, talked about how frustrating it was to miss the playoffs again and "to come so close". Earth to Burns: you were not close. Close maybe to squeezing in as a last entry, but when half the teams in the league are clearly better than your team, you are not close.

- Friedel on the Nguyen situation - "he's late, he's 3 weeks behind. He's got to earn a spot, earn a place on the team". There was no concialatory tone, no "that's between him and management", yadda, yadda, yadda. Friedel's perspective is that he has missed critical time and put himself in a big hole that he'll have to dig out of.

- nothing specific, but Friedel struck me as very well versed in tactics, strategies, formations, etc. when asked.

- it also seemed that Friedel is planning to be a no-nonsense coach, who is going to be much more demanding that his predecessor - kind of like the coaches he played for in Europe. Whether MLS players will be receptive to that level of toughness is an open question (but, the Revs players seemed to respond pretty well when that was coming from Jermaine Jones).

- Rowe said the players are really enjoying the practices, are working hard and are really pumped (and jacked) for the coming season.

- Friedel wants competition for every position on the field - and wasn't willing to pencil anyone in as a starter at this point.

- When asked what the Revs have done to improve the game day experience, all they could come up with was "LED signboards on the sidelines" (but you'll only be able to see them from the west side of the stadium. They were clearly caught with their pants down on that question - winding up their stumbling response with "if you have ideas, let us know ...". Ouch.

- Asked about a new stadium, Billelo said they were really far along on the UMass/Boston plan when it fell apart and that they are "really far down the road" on something else, but no other details. Then Brad begged applause (which met with silence) with "how about that, folks?". How about "how tone-deaf can you be, Brad?". After 10 years of planning, you expect anyone to get excited about any teaser with no details?

- One long-time ticket holder (someone on this board?) made a pretty lengthy statement about how the panel at these things seem very defensive and don't show a lot of respect for the fans and a lot more. At one point he paused to face the room and asked if others felt that way - I, along with a smattering, offered some applause - but the general impression was one of apathy. I think the attendees tend to skew towards the new season ticket-holders and those with you kids - and they are looking for reasons to believe, not airing of grievances. Still, the panel was squirming uncomfortably - and I'm pretty sure I noticed Rowe nodding in the affirmative.

- Friedel wanted to address the "Kraft doesn't support the team" theme. He said it is not true, they have whatever they need, they've made a big-money offer that proves that the funding is there and that even though that player decided to stay in Europe after agreeing on the financial offer, they'll be using those funds to go after other players (but would continue to be very selective about who they offer it to).

- On similar thread, Friedel said he knows tons of players in Europe and many have been calling him since he was hired, but the one thing that is a requirement for consideration is being young.

- They crowed about last year's home record (12-3-2) or something like that, saying they'd take that every year, but also owned up to last year's 1 win road record. Friedel said playing well on the road is a major point of emphasis - and that starts with an attitude. Rowe said they haven't once practiced sitting back and absorbing pressure.

goussoccer, Alan, Jon Martin and 23 others repped this.
  2. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    @rkupp, thanks for your time putting together this recap.

Kudos for the "pumped and jacked" reference. LOL

3. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rkupp - Thank you for the notes. The comments that follow are to the team in general or about my frustration, again in general. Please don't take them as directed at you.

When I used to go to these events I always found him to be condescending.

For me this is just another case of them demonstrating how little they care. These types of answers have been coming from them for years.

I am certain the bar to which Burns is measured is, "Make the playoffs." It explains so much about this organization and the lack of ambition they display.

Although I've heard this organization blather on about competition at every position all the way back to the SN era, I've rarely seen them build a roster where it existed. This year, at least through mid-February, doesn't look much different.

Another year, another stadium story. Nothing happening here. Move along.

I very much want to give Friedel a little time to prove his coaching abilities. But, that said, nothing about this offseason seems all that different than the previous 10. These comments just seem to be yet another rehash of what we've heard before but not often seen backed up. Once again this year they have under performed to their own statements about their goals. Once again they have a short roster (but somehow have competition at every spot)...

Friedel is just one member of a larger management team and that team underperforms. I don't think Friedel can carry them on his own.

Alan, pwykes and TOAzer repped this.
  4. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for your work on this . . . much appreciated.

TOAzer repped this.
  5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good recap thanks @rkupp for the honesty. Glad someone spoke up there and it wasn't "pass the koolaid".

I took the bait and upgraded to a full season ticket last week and my rep told me about this. I just laughed and politely declined.

TOAzer repped this.
  6. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    WOW! Rkupp - this is absolutely fantastic - wish I could rep it more. Thanks so much for putting this together! Terrific information

WTF is this about?? Did something happen in the past - Or does Feldman simply read this board, watch and listen to all the soccer shows, all the articles, all the twitter accounts and all the comments all over the internet to know what people really think of how the Revs are run by Krafts?

I kinda get this vibe too

Great to be versed - but the jury is out if he can coach it to professional players, make in game adjustments, make appropriate subs, etc - until we start playing some competitive games.

But I think I get your gist - that when Friedel talks he sounds like a soccer guy, Heaps interviews regarding real soccer stuff always seemed "light on real content".

My bold - I'm sure he has to start this company line - but it is good that at least Krafts are willing to listen to Friedel (and the court of public opinion) if Friedel can find/scout/convince a stud to offer some $$$ to.

It does reinforce the horse that I have beaten a million times - $$$ is a huge part, but the player has a huge say where they go - they also want a terrific coach who will help them to win titles, play with equally awesome players, to go to a club that has ambition, awesome stadium/facilities, etc.

So while the Krafts opened the checkbook for one thing - they should really be thinking about all the other things too.

Alan and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'll bet Pete Carroll had no idea he was immortalizing himself with that line!
    Last year, there were some negative comments/pointed questions (delivered 'respectfully') and I was shocked at Feldman's reaction - he basically argued back against some pretty legitimate points, a very anti-PR-handbook approach IMO - arguing with your most loyal fans? :eek:
    I'll disagree on that point - I think it's just trying to put as positive a spin on it as they can.

I still believe that someone like Burns, being a founding player in MLS, being with this organization so long, being a long-time USNT player, aches to win a title - I think anyone who has been with the Revs for any length of time does also. These are ultra-competitive people. But, what they say is a different thing, and what they do is limited by their abilities and situations.

8. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't disagree with you that they all want to win a championship. But I think your last line is the key to all of this....... what they do is limited by their abilities and situations.

TOAzer repped this.
  9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @rkupp Major thanks for that post.

And if I didn't know better reading some of your own comments, you're heading down the dangerous path to being a NNN! ;)

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is always room for a few more on the runaway train to doom and annihilation. Brief spasms of joy, like 5 MLS Cup appearances, are only there to point out the total hopelessness of all human endeavor.

TOAzer and a517dogg repped this.
  11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm an unreformed optimist - I can help but (and don't want to not) believe that Friedel is going to work some magic and get this team to start using its unfulfilled potential, our 3 (so far) foreign acquisitions will finally fit the bill(s) and that last year's center back acquisitions will solidify last year's sieve-like defense. :thumbsup:

Revs in 2010, ToMhIlL and Soccer Doc repped this.
  12. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right. My problem is that, ache as he might, I believe Burns’ (others?) performance review amounts to:

Make Playoffs = Good Review
    Don’t Make Playoffs = Negative Review

Burns’ comment about « just missing » the playoffs sounds like the argument he made in his review. Yeah boss, we didn’t make it but you shouldn’t make the review too negative cause we were really close.

Subconsciously, I think Burns operates to that fundamental measure. The problem is with Kraft. He has to set that bar higher. If he did, he might quickly see the limitation of Burns’ abilities.

pwykes repped this.
  13. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss the days of the Boston Magazine Article, followed by the Jones signing when the Rev's flirted with mainstream sports notice in our market. Lately we are running silent and running deep.

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe it or not, I am also somewhat optimistic (or maybe just hopeful) of many of the same things above. The rational side of me says otherwise, but if you can't be optimistic at the start of the season, when can you be?

What's that? I'm agreeing with rkupp? So I guess that really was Lucifer himself I saw at center ice, attempting a triple sow-cow axle!

BrianLBI repped this.
  15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well so for Zahibo starts his debut with an 8th minute Red Card and the back for gives up an early goal with el Capitain leaving his mark alone at the OK spot So they have that going for them

a517dogg repped this.
  16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The red card was b.s. - two players slide in on a 50/50 ball, with cleats low. Yellow at worst.

The back four looked quite confused and exposed several times during the match. The 2nd Dallas goal was way too easy.

Dallas missed some easy chances, but so did the Revs (Wright, Femi, Bye).

Penilla looks the real deal IMO.

17. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    So far, I would agree.

18. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be a Revs fan is to be Quentin, from The Sound and The Fury.............forever.

19. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wouldn't be so bad..... if we were actually running. The Good Ship Revs is just a jolly euphemism for TheThresher.

20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if they still do, but they sure used to lurk here a lot back in the day.

When the news first came up that the Revs were looking to build a stadium (circa 2005 or so), they got shot down the first time. I made the suggestion that they could build a Crew Stadium type place around the Pats practice field, and if they anticipated a big crowd, they could always move to the main stadium. Brad joked with someone that I wanted to build it there, and when I said it wasn't perfect, but it would be better than playing in the main stadium, he offered a glimpse of the Krafts' "vision" on this. A dozen or so years later, what has changed?

Then another time, there was a guy named Kanu or something like that who used to rag on Feldman at every possible opportunity. it got pretty tiresome, so I said something like, "sure, he's a homer, but c'mon, what do you have against the guy? Did he steal your girlfriend in the 7th grade or something?" Brad thanked me for sticking up for him, and then went to great lengths to explain how unbiased and objective he is when he calls a game.o_O

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone's got to pick up where Koffie's and Kouassi left off with the red card tradition

RevFan repped this.
  22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on Penilla. I am most excited with that signing and am genuinely looking forward to watching him play. He brings something new and creatively different that the Revs have lacked for awhile.

As for Wright and Femi, they should be back end of the roster filler players.

23. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This must be the key sales point for this year, when my new ticket rep called to ask me to come back, I said, "quality of play." He immediately countered with the home record, to which I pointed out, "yeah, but they didn't make the playoffs in a league where almost everyone does."

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what the "average" road record is league-wide, but had they been able to achieve that last year, they would have been comfortably in the playoffs with a few weeks to spare. So great home record but terrible road record equals mediocrity.

25. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The average road record:
    for Eastern Teams was 3.7 wins, 9 losses, 4.3 ties.
    for Western Team was 3.2 wins, 9.9 losses, 3.9 ties.
    Overall 3.5 wins, 9.5 losses, 4.1 ties.
    Not a major difference between conference.

2 teams from each conference had just 1 win on the road.